Thursday, May 15, 2014

Plotting a Takeover: Character Buys 5.

A not so regular feature in which I pick a book and then pick out things I think the character/s themselves would own/use or just really like. All links go to etsy/the store's website. This week the featured book is...

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
Focusing on Lyra.

I can see this sitting on Lyra's bed, where she would clutch it and dream of distant places. Places where she would certainly go.

Perhaps a gift from Serafina, perhaps from the Costa's, perhaps a pretty prize taken from Mrs. Coulter. I think Lyra would like the sense of mystery- and perhaps potential danger- that surrounds a necklace like this.

I imagine Lyra traveling lots, to cold places- traveling to see Iorek and sailing with the Costa's, heading her own way. Still, she would most certainly need lots of warm wear and this scarf... I can perfectly picture her in it.

What a memory this beautiful stamp would be- the potential for more memories, too. A compass can lead you anywhere!

Lyra would need a good, sturdy bag. It took me a while to find something I can envisage her using, but this is perfect. Sturdy, a nice dark colour, plenty of room. Lovely.

I can imagine her being very creative, and her memories being so strong and things... important things in her life being recorded through art, writing. I think this would be a very Lyra-esq piece, especially the darkness and the stars.

A place for Lyra to keep her most precious things, whether it be a flower, coin, feather. And it's unsuspecting when you see it closed, below.

14 comments:

  1. I love love to seal my envelopes with wax. It is so fun and makes letters even better. Sad thing is no one writes letters anymore. I also love that pillow. I have a really old music box that is shaped like a old hot air balloon. It is made of copper. I love it. Love this feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment, Angela! It was lovely!
    Fun fact: I love to write letters and correspond regularly with two people across the world. It's so much fun and whilst emailing is nice, it's definitely not as personal or special for me.
    That music box sounds amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this post! I've always wanted to own old books because they just look so good on the bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, don't they? I share half my bookcase with my brother, who really loves antiquarian books, so the other half is so different to mine. He's got old leatherbound books, vintage, worn penguin classics. It's just so beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Oh I'm glad to see this feature is back (I really missed it) That pillow! I can totally see it sitting on MY bad (sorry, Lyra) right below the picture of Ice Forest. :) And that scarf looks so warm!! *wants*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so happy, Cayce! Thank you! It's such a fun feature to do, but I've such a full blog schedule that I've only got another one next month, which is a little sad. I'd like to do them a little more regularly than that, if possible. Aren't they just gorgeous? So many lovely things!

      Delete
  5. OMG I WANT THAT COMPASS LETTER SEALY THINGYMAJIGGY! It looks awesome, and ever so whimsical to stamp your letters closed. Then I would put a note telling Mr Postman NO PEEKING ALLOWED, especially after they LOST my 16 page letter complete with diagram and delightful artwork. Grrrrrrr.

    Also, the cushion is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so neat? I adore stamps and feel I've got to get a wax seal now, because they're so nice. And the different waxes you can get are just amazing! That sounds like an unhappy tale, Lauren. A very sad tale.

      Delete
  6. This is SUCH a good idea! I absolutely loooove it. x) I haven't read the book (yet! It's on my TBR) but I'm loving that bag and also the secret locket. That would be so awesome to own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cait! They're super, super fun to do, and as I said to Cayce, I'm only sad that I can do so few at the moment. Still, can't wait until the one that's coming next month! I had so much fun with it!
      I highly recommend you read the trilogy- they're incredible books and it's just a perfect example of epic novels and beautiful character growth.

      Delete
  7. What a great feature! I really enjoyed the His Dark Materials series and I think you are right on the money with these picks for Lyra. It almost makes me feel like she's a real person with these items she could own! :) I love the last item the most though - I didn't realize people had lockets to hold coins in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Charlene, both for your lovely compliment and for stopping by! I'm so happy to hear you think my choices were good- it was so much fun searching for things and I'm really pleased with what I found. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x