Friday, May 23, 2014

Toby Alone by Timothée de Fombelle...


Title- Toby Alone.
Author- Timothée de Fombelle.
Publish date- 2008.
Publisher- Walker Books.


Review time...


(A brief) Synopsis:
Toby Lolness is on the run, searched for by his own people- the people of the tree. He makes his way through the beautiful, treacherous land of the tree, fighting to escape, but to understand why he, a thirteen year old boy only a few millimetres high, is the most highly sought person in the tree, we've got to go back...


What I thought:
What to say about Toby Alone... there are many factors to it, many levels that I'm drawn to and many feelings I had as I was reading, but I do feel slightly muddled on just how to pinpoint these things. This may, on account, be a slightly different review.

*Toby Alone captivated me wholly- it was original and ingenious and felt so very fresh and readable. The time switches, explaination of other times and introductions of other characters who would soon be critical to Toby's story, these were done well and made it very easy to follow- having new things bought in kept the story really active.

*The twists of the plot were so great, and often unexpected. I didn't foresee how the story would progress. When dire situations arose I didn't question their truth or dire-ness. By the end I was still excited and full of wonder.

*The world created is so incredible (and plausible) and it felt so real, so through. I understood the way these people lived and the way they feared, and I saw the beauty in it just as I felt the fear of it. It's a desperate time in the tree and I truly feared for it just as Sim Lolness did.

*The cover is what drew me to this book and the inside didn't disappoint me on further inspection- it has green text! I didn't realise until I started reading, and it's difficult to tell when you get into and can't compare it to one of the green pictures throughout the book, but it's dark green and absolutely wonderful.

*There was the inevitable moment, 10 pages from the end, where the levels were rising and things were getting more complex, the struggles more dire, when I briefly wondered how it could be resolved in 10 pages. 4 pages from the end I accidentally turned two pages. There's a sequel. I'm excited for it.

6 comments:

  1. I read a book with green text once! It was cool and a nice touch because it matched the cover too. ;) This sounds interesting. I LOVE it when plot twists knock your socks off. ;)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun thing to come by, too, since it's not often you find a full length novel with colourful text. I have the sxequel out from the library, and it has a yellow cover, but I don't know what the text is yet...

      Delete
  2. Ok, I love the sound of the green text, amazing! And I went to Goodreads to check out the cover, it's lovely. I adore a book that captivates me wholly, so this sounds wonderful!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I would definitely recommend you read this, or even just check it out to see what you think, Mands! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, just looked on Goodreads and saw the cover, and asdfghjkl, I'M IN LOVE. I am SO going to check if my library has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T IS AMAZING ELLA? The sequel is beautiful, too. I just want it on my shelf as soon as possible. Let me know what happens and what you think, okay? xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x