Thursday, May 8, 2014

Zac and Mia by A. J. Betts...

Title- Zac and Mia.
Author- A. J. Betts.
Publish date- 2013.
Publisher- Text Publishing.


Review time...

(A brief) Synopsis:
There are two people in focus and many people out of focus, surrounding them. One seems to be broken, though that person tries to believe and show that they are not. One appears to be whole, and though they appear to be whole throughly, maybe they aren't.

Image Credit: Text Publishing.


What I thought:
It's hard to describe the ways in which I'm drawn to this book, because they're battled by the ways in which I am turned away by it; the cover is very unique and eye catching, it's an intriguing work of art. The typography on the cover is super neat. The blurb by Fiona Wood is exactly the kind of thing I want to see on a book. It's the winner of the Text prize! The synopsis, however, it doesn't really interest me and if I went on it alone I foubt I'd have picked it up.

I was, however, lucky enough to win a copy after reading VeganYANerds incredible review, and though it sat patiently on my shelf for a few months, one day I picked it up and decided to read a few pages. I'd finished it in three days.

Zac and Mia is told in a really interesting, not to mention well done, way- part one is Zac. Part two is &, which is is dual POV from Zac and Mia. Part three is Mia.
From the start I didn't feel drawn to Mia, even though Zac is oddly taken in by her and truly can't get her out of his mind- I wondered if that's because you weren't supposed to like her, because of her nature and unreliability, the things she does and says, but even after I read her part and learnt to understand the both of them, Mia still never found a place very close to me. Zac, however, I truly did become fond of; his characteristics are so real and he felt very lifelike, and I cared about his story.

I cannot say, though, that I'm overall happy with my reading experience of Zac and Mia. I raced through it and quite liked the way it read, but I never loved the story and the ending didn't really settle with me so well, didn't seem believeable in all the ways I wanted it to be.

Rating: Close to Poor.
My hopes weren't really met with Zac and Mia, but at the same time I didn't really know all that much about it becomehand to be able to form an opinion. There was lots of swearing- too much for my liking- and it did get to a stage where I felt almost desensitised by it, which I did not like at all. Something important, though: Zac and Mia isn't a book about two teenagers who are sick- their illness, whilst important to the story (it's what brings them together in the first place), is not the thing the story focuses on. This is about them. The stories they are just waiting to tell and let you explore.

Thank you to VeganYANerds for the competition you held, the prize of which was this book!

14 comments:

  1. I definitely want to read this because, well, I've heard a lot about it (mixed things) and I do love Text books. :) The cover is a little bit weird though...haha! I DO like minimalistic stuff, but what's with the eyeball?!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your thoughts when you read it, Cait! I wonder if our thoughts will be similar to completely different! ( :
      Though overall it doesn't really bother me, I really like it when a cover links in with the story somehow- if it had absolutely nothing to do with the book then that's a little frustrating. Luckily I quite liked this cover, so even though I couldn't see a link, it didn't frustrate me.

      Delete
  2. I read Zac and Mia sometime last year, and I was SO disappointed. Text Publishing normally publishes beautiful books and I could NOT understand how Zac and Mia not only got PUBLISHED by Text Publishing IT WON THE 2013 YA (I think) TEXT PRIZE!

    Great review, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry it worked even worse for you than it did for me! I definitely didn't like it as much as I could, certainly not, but I also didn't dislike it as much as I could!

      Delete
  3. Zac and Mia doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in (books like TFiOS, which I also haven't read, are not for me) and I just read another quite negative(ish) review (on Joyous Reads, I think) so yeaaah I'll definitely be skipping this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I would normally recommend TFiOS, I believe we've already spoken in regards to it and I can understand why you mightn't want to read it. I personally really liked it when I read it, though I do plan to reread it sometime soon and see if I feel the same now.
      Thank you for your comment, Cayce!

      Delete
  4. I've heard a bit of buzz about this book! Like you, the synopsis didn't really intrigue me so I'll probably skip this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had only heard a really small amount about it before I read, like I hadn't seen reviews or anything, so it's interesting that it worked the other way around for you!
      Thank you for stopping by, Elena! xx

      Delete
  5. Sad to see this one didn't work for you. Mia was rather hard to connect with considering how horrible she was to everyone in her life. That said - I'm glad you liked the way it read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember whether it was even that or just her attitude when she thought, but it just didn't make it easy for me to enjoy her half.
      Thank you for coming by! xx

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, that giveaway was so long ago, but I'm glad you finally read it, Rom!

    From memory I felt similarly to you, I didn't love this one, but I did like the different perspective it showed regarding teens with cancer.

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me so long to read, though I did read it in January- my review just took... 5 months to get up!

      I just really thought the way it switched POVs was really good- it worked so well for this book.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely loved this one. I read it in one day because I couldn't stop reading it, and gave it 5 stars. It's a shame you didn't love it as much as me, still nice to hear your thoughts, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it to be such a quick read, too, I think it took me just over a day, and I felt really absorbed by the story at times, but always felt the same about it, I think, though maybe more hopeful at the beginning. Thank you for commenting! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x