Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bleakboy and Hunter Stand Out in the Rain by Steven Herrick...



Title- Bleakboy and Hunter Stand Out in the Rain.
Author- Steven Herrick.
Publish date- May 2014.
Publisher- UQP.
RRP: $14.95


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
You could look at these people and take them at face value-
Jesse. Good throughout.
Kate. Wildlife warrior.
Hunter. Bully-
but when people seem to be so easy to read, you have to imagine they're not, and then things get really interesting.

Image Credit: UQP.


What I thought:
Bleakboy and Hunter was for me immediately readable- I opened the cover and was quickly a good way in, not really enjoying the story, but following it. There is an amazing amount of subjects, issues, covered in the book, from bullying to divorce to wildlife conservation, and all were incorperated into the story in their own ways, but they tended to feel flat and, more often than not, clich├ęd when I read them.

Out of  all the characters it would be hard for me to pick out one I liked, because all had an element to them that made them difficult to connect with- Jesse (Bleakboy) was probably as close to "favourite" as I got, because I quite enjoyed the way he saw things and felt about life, the way he tried endlessly to help. It is Jesse, though, who probably disappointed me more than any of the others; in the beginning he explains how he has a poster of God on his wall and, as his parents insist the family is atheist, he calls him Trevor. This was a little unusual, sure, but it's an important thing to Jesse, being able to talk to this picture, and it felt like part of him. Later things change and that it's done in such an abrupt way felt very false to me, like it went against practically every lesson I felt was taught in the book.

That and a few other plot and character related things (like the way it seemed flat, even though they were dimensional, and it felt too predictable) made me feel no real enjoyment as I read, and the only thing I'm really left with an interest in is the Helpful Websites section at the end.

Rating: Poor.
The story just felt a little bland and the characters didn't come off the page and really make me care about them, unfortunately. Also, the ages of Kate, Jesse, Hunter and Beth all felt a little off, particularly Beth, who I read as being closer to 16 than a 14 year old.

Thank you to UPQ for this review copy!

16 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean by readable, although not totally enjoyable. Which is a shame because if it had a better plot/characters it sounds like it would be a pretty good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree Alise. Also, it's peculiar because the three books I read around this time, all in really quick sucession, they all felt a little like this. Very easy to read, left very little impact.

      Delete
  2. Aw, sad this one sucked for you. :| I hate it when books aren't well developed or you can't connect with the characters. It just feels like a waste of time to invest hours into a book where you're bored. I LOVE that cover though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cait. It was nice, though, because I went through three books so quickly and I'd been super slow at reading for ages before that, so I really felt great getting through this! The cover IS pretty neat, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Aw I'm sorry you didn't like this book. I read one of his in high school and I really liked it so it's a shame it didn't work this time.

    Also cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren- your cupcakes, if they're egg-free, totally make up for it. xx

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this book before, but honestly, after you described it, I won't be picking it up either.
    Even though you said you were mostly disappointed with Jesse, he does sound kind of interesting the way you describe him. I'm not religious myself, and usually, what you find in books is teens who were brought up in a certain strict religion, distancing themselves from it. It's really rare that you read the story the other way around (or at least in the kind of books I'm reading), so that alone does make the book a bit more intriguing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really interesting that it was switched around, because really this was probably the first time I've read a story where the parents don't allow the child to follow what religion they want. That was pretty interesting, but their attitude really frustrated me.

      Delete
  5. Oh bummer! Sorry this book was disappointing. The characters seem to be all over the place, and even the issues as well. I've never heard of this book before, but the cover looks adorable. It sucks that it seems like another generic book in the masses and you couldn't really connect with anyone properly. Hope your next read is much better lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a pretty neat cover, doesn't it? It took me ages to work how the significance it had to the book, though- it's obvious once you're reading, but it just didn't click. Thank you so much, Joy- my current read is splendid! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, the cover for the book reminds me a lot of the TFIOS covers because of the clouds and the colours I guess. A shame there wasn't enough to make you care about the characters or the plot! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, kind of, doesn't it? I did think it seemed vaugely akin to something else, but I wasn't sure what. I definitely think it's a cover that'll catch your attention. Thanks, Jeann! xx

      Delete
  7. I love the cover for this one, and have enjoyed a couple of Steven's books, but I had a feeling this one might not be for me. It's a shame it didn't work for you, I hope your next read is excellent, Rom!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mands! It would be interesting to read his other work, because this was my first, and see what I make of it- perhaps I'll keep an eye out for a thrilling synopsis! x

      Delete
  8. The title would have made me want to read this, but seeing that I am in a slump, this just won't do it for me. I feel like connecting with characters is important to me, so if I just don't see how I could connect to Jesse, makes me want to skip this book. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well sometimes it's the books that are so readable that get you out of a slump, in my experience, but I couldn't honestly recommend this, no matter how readable and quick it was for me. Connecting with the characters is, I agree, so important! I hope you find a book with really wonderful characters soon, and get out of the reading slump! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x