Sunday, June 8, 2014

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell...

Title- Eleanor and Park.
Author- Rainbow Rowell.
Publish date- St. Martin's Press.
Publisher- 2013.


Review time...

(A brief) Synopsis:
Eleanor and Park, they meet and they don't like each other. Eleanor is different and though Park is the only one to offer her a seat on the bus, he does so reluctantly. Park is just like all the others. Neither have any plans to continue the relationship.

What I thought:
An Apology/becoming aware of:
I read this book in the early half of the final quarter of 2013. Not all my more subtle rememberances of it may still be accurately remembered, but I will do what I can because this felt like a book I needed to review. And I'd marked it on my goodreads shelf as "to-review" so you ubnderstand, I hope, where I'm coming from.

Eleanor and Park started off... hmm. I wasn't drawn to it, hadn't been drawn to it the first time I tried to read it, but the difference is that I kept reading. I read when I ate my breakfast and when I walked my rabbit. And, peculiarly, I found I was coming to enjoy the story. Well, I realised that I had been for time time. I kept reading.

For a long, long time I did not like Park- the things he did for Eleanor were nice, sometimes, yes, but he cared too much about how he would be perceived and how things would make him look and that annoyed me. A lot. I warmed to Eleanor quicker, liked her more, for the most part, though never did I care for her character completey. Both I was a little unsure of, I suppose, though when I read I really thought more about what they were doing in that instant, which made my affections fluctuate.
The characters overall were well rounded and all that were explored deeply enough weren't simple a forms: Eleanor didn't have to be likable to be important or a character worthy of attention. Park didn't have to do the right thing in the beginning to do it later.
One thing I do like about Eleanor and Park (the characters) now that I don't know if I picked up on as much when I read it was how each was fierce, unrelenting and scared of things in a very honest way. The things they feel are so wildly different you'd hardly put the two together, but they grow to have one similarity.

From the beauty of the words, delicately picked and presented in a way that makes you feel every meaning, to the bitterness of the hardships Eleanor faces at her home school, Eleanor and Park captivated me. Until... the end.

I liked that last section- was a little puzzled, but liked it as I sighed and closed the book. Then I started thinking about it more. And more. Then I went on overdrive, trying to work out why it was phrased like that, what it if meant something else, this and that until I came to the understanding that the words in the final chapter had taken the beauty of the story from me and stomped on them, and now I find it difficult to recover my old feelings.

Rating: Fluctuated between Hmm..., Oh noo and Ooh, very good/Excellent.
I remember, faintly, the things that were special to me about Eleanor and Park, but the ending has become a huge disappointment, one of gradually growing size and complexity, and I don't know if I could read the book again, knowing that was there.

12 comments:

  1. Huh, interesting. You have me wondering what I would think of this one! I have read and loved Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, but I'm unsure whether I will like this one as much. I'm curious to find out though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be really interested to find out your thoughts, Aylee! Be sure to let me know how you feel about it, okay?
      I'm planning to read Fangirl sometime soon, as a matter of fact! It didn't initially interest me, but lately I've been really keen to read it and see what I think, and your comment has instilled that even more strongly! xx

      Delete
  2. I am definitely agreement to your review! I didn't really care for the characters as much as I would want to and that was saddening because I thought I would really like this book! People say her book Fangirl is much better but I might not try it, will you? Oh that ending was just ehh, I think it could have ended on a stronger note or some other way to hit me more vibrantly. But that ending just hit me and just ehh fizzed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really keen to try Fangirl, actually- I wasn't interested by the premise for a long time, but then I saw a video review-reinactment and it just... it was so stunning, and it made me really want to discover those charcters. xx

      Delete
  3. This book has been on my TBR pile forever. I am really looking forward to finding the time to sit down and read it. The fact that you didn't really enjoy it makes me a bit apprehensive, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did enjoy it, mostly, but then the bits that I didn't kind of ruined it for me. I mean, I'd have been a lot happier if I didn't read the last three or so chapters- it's so beautiful and I really got swept up in it, and I would recommend it, just the end... it didn't work for me at all. xx

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this one, but it's on my to-read list. She is suppose to be an amazing author so I'm hoping I'll like it. I'll probably read Fan girl first because I'm really excited for that one. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to read Fangirl soon, too- I hope we both find it really enjoyable! xx

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of Rainbow Rowell's book, although most of them are on my TBR list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope we both get to read more soon! I'm hoping to read Fangirl in the next month or two, though the other couple aren't priorities. I hope you enjoy them! x

      Delete
  6. I really liked this book.. but I have to say, I liked Fangirl better. It's been a while since I've read this book but I did enjoy it. Though I found it sad the type of home that Eleanor had to go to. I never lived in a home like that so I can't even try to relate at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really promising for me, Angela! I'm hoping to read Fangirl really soon, and hope I enjoy it as much as you did!
      Eleanor's life, the home she had, it was so sad and real and just really raw and honestly written.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x