Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Wrinkle in Time- The Graphic Novel by Madeleine L'Engle and Hope Larson...


Title- A Wrinkle in Time- The Graphic Novel.
Author- Madeleine L'Engle and Hope Larson.
Publish date- 2012.
Publisher- Margaret Furgurson Books.

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A brief) synopsis:
A missing father. A storm. A supposedly haunted house. A chance meeting. Sandwiches in the middle of the night. Intuition. Quotations. Fear. Hope. Adventure- glorious, glorious adventure. Characters who speak, truly speak. It's all here.

What I thought:
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this graphic novel- I haven't read the book before in it's original format and this is a fairly big graphic novel, or it seemed so when I picked it up.
I was totally blown away, and I believe I will be thinking about this book for a very long time- at least until I buy my own copy (as of typing this I have ordered it and am waiting for it eagerly), and then I'll re-read it and will just keep thinking.

For some unknown reason I thought this was supposed to be set in the Medieval times, so the fact that it traverses to different, futuristic worlds was a big surprise, but I so enjoyed following the journey of Meg, Calvin and Charles Wallace. Meg was a really standout character for me, despite her faults.
She had lots of difficulties, didn't think she was really important or worthy, and she is so loyal to her family that things make her so angry, but I loved her. She blossomed and I loved, adored, felt so proud when she saw people outside of her family care for her, saw her learn that she still has so many incredible worths and abilities. I felt like she and I were very similar, so it made me connect to and understand her really easily.

I felt like her relationship with Calvin was unnecessary in how it was depicted, though it was beautiful, too- I felt like it would've been better as a suggestion, left to grow in our imaginations.

I really liked meeting the three glorious woman who help the children on their quest to find Meg and Charles Wallace's father- Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Whatsit. They had such interesting personalities and felt fully grown as soon as I encountered all of them, truly like they had lived years and years before the book- they were such brilliant ladies.

The illustrations were really enjoyable and conveyed a real sense of personality into the story and characters.

Rating: Big Explosion MIND BLOWN!
Stunning, incredibly readable and touching, this was a favourite read and, though it is not without darkness, the hope and love is immense. I have, also, found a character who is so like me it's quite peculiar. She's like my counter part, Meg.

26 comments:

  1. Somehow, I've also never read the original book of this one even though I know it is a classic and that it is well loved by most everyone! I better get on that. Everyone I know who has read it so far has loved Meg so I really cannot wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very promising! I'll have to add it to my urgently-need-to-read list sometime soon so I can see how I feel about it. I hope you love Meg just as much as I did! x

      Delete
  2. I remember loving A Wrinkle in Time when I first read it, but it was so many years ago I don't quite remember everything that happens! Now I feel in the mood to read it again from your review - I think I'll just go for the original though. But I do plan to look up the graphic novel the next time I'm in a bookstore to see what the characters look like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to hear that, Charlene! I'm so happy I was able to make you want to read it again, and I hope when I read the original I love it just as much. Maybe if you still love it a lot, you'll want to check this out too! ( :

      Delete
  3. I've never read the original either, it's one of those books that I've heard of often, but never bothered to look into. You've made me want to read it and check out the GN as well :)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's how I felt about The Giving Tree when I read it- heard about it for years and years and just never read it. I'm thrilled that you're wanting to read this, too, now, Mands, and I hope you LOVE it! xx

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I have never read a Wrinkly in Time. I really really need to make time for this book! Plus the GN sounds pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get to read the original soon, too, especially since I adored this so intently. I hope you adore both, and I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it all, including Meg! x

      Delete
  5. Mind blown?! That's an awesome description and rating if I ever saw one! ^^ Thanks for getting this to me attention; I never knew this existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! And this book certainly deserves that rating- it was totally mind-blown worthy and just so astounding. I hope you look it up and check it out one day, and love it just as much as I did! x

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you loved it! Meg is a great character. A Wrinkle in Time is actually the beginning of a series, and Madeline L'Engle has a couple other series that are really good too. She's my favorite author, so I always have to promote her books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she fantastic? I'm pretty interested in how other people think of her, because I just think she and I are so alike... what will others think? It is part interesting, part worrying, part maybe-i-shouldn't-bring-it-up, part well-i-love-her-wholly. I'm definitely going to read the original and the series as a whole one day soon! x

      Delete
  7. I've never read the book but I'm always up to an adaptation of a classic! And you did say your mind was blown with the story and I love how even though there's darkness, there is also love and hope all throughout. I'm totally checking this out because Meg sounds awesome and I really want to get to know her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to hear that! Meg certainly is astonishing, or I found her to be so, and I truly hope you feel as much emotion and love for this story and it's characters as I did! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read either, but not particularly into graphic novels just yet. Definitely going to check out the original though, it sounds like a brilliant classic that everyone should read at one point. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do start to enjoy them, I'd definitely recommend this still, I thikn it would be a wonderful place to start, but I'm really happy you're planning to check out the original! I hope it's just as good! xx

      Delete
  9. I've read A WRINKLE IN TIME, but it wasn't my favourite in the series. I am, however, intrigued by your review of this one. Perhaps it's time for me to rethink my take on it! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really interesting! I'm planning on reading the original and, hopefully, the full series, but it's interesting you didn't like the first book as much. I hope this means I have a lot of amazing-osity in store! xx

      Delete
  10. Whoa there's a graphic novel? So cool! I'll definitely have to check it out (although I haven't even read the actual books yet, aha) Glad you liked it, and that the characters had such personalities evident even in this adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting! I hope you love it, Alise! I'm really excited about all the love for this series, even when you haven't read it yet, and it's just really lovely. I'm so happy I've found this amazing book and can't wait to see what's in store! Hope you love it, too! x

      Delete
  11. I read this years and years ago...but not the graphic novel! I don't even think I've ever read a graphic novel...well, I read Tintin comics back in the day, but that hardly counts, does it? x) I do have fond memories of the actual book, but I can't exactly remember why. If I had time, oh gosh yes I would reread. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there is a difference between comics and graphic novels, but I'm not sure what it is and it is definitely a start! I personally was drawn to The Phantom comic strips, but... I hope you have a space of time for a reread sometime soon, Cait!

      Delete
  12. Wow, this sounds completely amazing! It really is a beloved classic that I haven't gotten into yet, I read a chapter or two but didn't stick with it too much (the book, not the graphic novel). I'm so glad you enjoyed it, I really love time travel stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get into it better next time you try to read it, Jeann, or maybe try the graphic novel which I think you would probably like! Either way you get to the story, I hope you find it truly excellent. xx

      Delete
  13. Beautiful review, Romi! I've had A Wrinkle in Time in my bookshelf for like forever and your review definitely pumps up my interest of this book! So glad that you've found your other self in this book - it's always one of the greatest moments for me, finding a faint shadow of me in books. <3 I really want the graphic novel though. LOVE graphic novel. I'll definitely add this to my to-buy list! <3 x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Hilda! That's really lovely of you to say!
      I'm so happy to hear all of that- that you want to read this, you love graphic novels, that you're more excited to read the original now! I'm really thrilled this inspired you so! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x