Monday, July 21, 2014

Books for when you're... (14)





Each fortnight, month, fifteenth full moon of the half equational motion of the earths full circuit I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.

Wanting to Know How to Sneak.
Maybe it's all to get that piece of cake left in the fridge without anyone detecting you, but so long as it's not unlawful then these books may just have characters that could help you sneak.

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak.
Death.
Death may well be the ultimate sneaker, though the two ladies featured alongside it are jolly good rivals, and in this rich text there are a good many moments where silent watching and listening are depicted most beautifully. This here's an other worldly kind of sneaking.

Throne of Glass- Sarah J. Maas.
Celaena.
Celaena's a match for anyone, I'd say, and while she may not be the nicest teacher, 'specially if you're not naturally talented, the things you can learn from her are many and varied- always with a side of wit, I note. She is fearsome and deadly and silent, even when running, and that is something to admire.

His Dark Materials- Philip Pullman.
Lyra.
Lyra has the sneakiest type of sneak of the three; hers is a devious kind, going places no one else would have you go and very nearly getting in a lot of trouble for it. Yes she's reckless sometimes, but she has fun and she accomplishes her goals more often than not, and she is one to rely on.



Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

14 comments:

  1. This is a fun topic! I can totally see Celaena in this as she would definitely want to sneak out that last bit of cake! :) And resourceful Lyra too! Sadly I am again reminded why I need to read The Book Thief already. I suppose I am just afraid of all those feels! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Charlene! I'm glad you thought so!

      The Book Thief, apart from being quite sad indeed, is such a beautiful work- it's really full and enlightening and hopeful, and joyous, too, I think. Apart from being a story with sad moments- I think you'll love it, when you read it!

      Celaena would pull out all the stops for a piece of cake, I believe- weapons galore!

      Delete
  2. Celaena would definitely be a great teacher in sneaking! (although, yeah, at the same time, she would be quite the formidable teacher haha)
    I didn't even think of Lyra! I haven't read that book for so long...I really should reread it at some point- last time I read it was possibly primary school/middle school...can't really remember much from it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precicesly! Cait mentioned something similar in one of her posts a while ago- she'd be a great if perhaps unreliable teacher.

      Definitely! I read it quite recently, and for the first time, and it was just extrordinary! I already would like to read it again and experience everything anew. x

      Delete
  3. Love this! Celaena is so awesome but you can't really outdo Death when it comes to sneaking ;) Haven't read His Dark Materials but I saw the movie and liked it, although they never made a second or third one :/ I'll have to read the books soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I always hoped they would though! I loved that first movie. I watched it again after reading the books and really, I really enjoy it in it's own right, but it's so different in many ways from the book, and if you enjoyed it I think you'd just adore the books!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely yes to Death and Celaena...gosh are the more epic characters then they??? (I just finished TBT and honestly ohhh it broke my heart and I already knew the ending because I'd seen the movie. It STILL damaged all my feels. *wails*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually seen the movie... I love the book so much I'm not sure if I should, because I don't know how it would measure up and the fondness I have in my very being for this story is just incredibly precious to me, so I'm concerned about what the film might do. Still... one day I think I might watch it. MAYBE.

      Delete
  5. Super cute, loved this! I'm one of the few that couldn't get into Throne of Glass, but her character is certainly kick ass. I have to read The Book Thief, I own a copy, but sadly haven't found the time to get around to it. Wonder if I should read, or see the movie first though.

    Ooh, what's the next topic and will you turn this one into a meme for others to join in? It's an awesome idea, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I'm sorry to hear that (especially so since I love the books so much)- Celaena is pretty amazing, though, definitely.
      I haven't seen the movie, am not sure whether or not I will because I just love the book so much, and I haven't actually heard much of how they compare... so *I* would recommend the book first. It's spectacular! I hope you enjoy!

      I've never really considered turning this into a link-upable meme, though I'll definitely consider it! I like keeping the topics secret, but the next post is up on the 10th of August! I hope you like it! xx

      Delete
  6. Oh, how I love Lyra and her sneakiness :) Death and Celaena make for great sneaks as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she great? I love that she doesn't really loose her sneakiness with age, she remains the same in that vein and I think that's great.

      Delete
  7. My favorite meme of yours!!! WOOT! When I think of sneak the first thing I think of is video games. LOL... The Book Thief is a great example of sneaking. A sad sneak.. but sneaking none the less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Angela, thank you so much for saying that! I'm absolutely touched that you like it so much! xx

      Our PS3 stopped reading discs before I could start playing Oblivion. I'll give it time, but I'm hoping there's still a chance I get to sneak around in that game- I think of sneaking in video games and that is the one that comes up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x