Saturday, August 16, 2014

Blue is the Warmest Colour by Julie Maroh...

Title- Blue is the Warmest Colour.
Author- Julie Maroh.
Publish date- 2013.
Publisher- Arsenal Pulp Press.

(Goodreads)

Review time...



(A brief) synopsis:
When Clementine first sees Emma, she realises something different, and as she and Emma, a gorgeous, blue haired woman already in a relationship, grow close, she longs to be with her, at the same time fighting her feelings.


What I thought:
Blue is the Warmest Colour is an intricate, raw, emotion-rendering story, and one that I truly was surprised by. It wasn't at all how I had imagined it would be, was a good deal more explicit in scenes and not as quick into things, but it was so good- so strong and captivating.

Initially I struggled with the cursive script, but I paid close attention and kept at it, letting the story pick me up, as it were, and tell itself. One of my absolute favourite things is something I noticed in this review on Cayce's blog (a review that sold me on this book those last inches) was the presence of Blue in the art. It's striking and subtle, one of the few colours apart from white, gray and black in the beginning, and I looked out for it and so enjoyed it. The blue journal, a shirt, and primarily Emma's hair; were you to flick through the pages, the blue would stick out and doing that myself, it's such a wonderful, enchanting thing, to see the spirals of colour amidst the bleakness.


Both Clemm and Emma were, I think, troubled and still learning about themselves, and whilst (reading from the narrative of Clemm's diary) it's clear Clementine has to struggle to come to terms with the fact she's attracted to females, Emma, who seems to confident at the outset, she, I think, is someone who finds it very hard to believe someone could truly love her for all that she is.


It was interesting to see how the two helped, or at times hindered, each other in their journey, and while I did hope it would be a faster, more sturdy relationship between them, I really liked the way it evolved, and it was worth it.


Rating: Excellent.

The whole book, sad and beautiful and tragic and unfair, it was all so worth it.

10 comments:

  1. I have heard sooo much about this book. Are you going to watch the film now? You make the book sound very interesting. I think I might squeeze it in to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I got through it in two days, though that's only because I started it late one night. It was really speedy, though, and I don't feel like I sacrificed feeling character/plot emotion because of that. I do think I'll watch the film, though I'm a little uneasy about it having quite a high rating, but I'd like to see how it was done. I hope you enjoy this, Angela! xx

      Delete
  2. Ah, sounds like it's one of those very deep books that everyone has to try at least once! I like characters that start out with a rocky life - you can really get into their emotional and mental turmoil and it's so easy to sympathize with them and when they get their happiness in the end, it becomes all so worth it! Thanks for the review, Romi!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well judging by that I think you'll probably like this one quite a bit, Faye, though it's not really a very happy story. Hard hitting, passionate, emotional, turbulent- it has times of happiness, but it's more focused on other things, I guess. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this before but it certainly sounds interesting. I've not read any graphic novels but I'm really interested in starting, maybe this would be a good one to start with. Great review, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably want to start with something a bit lighter myself, if it was my first graphic novel, but this is really good. Pretty hard hitting, though, in many aspects, so bewarned!

      Delete
  4. Whelp, I've never heard of this one before! Sounds super unique though. I'm sure I would love the play with the colour blue as well. I'd love to see a sample of the artwork... I'll have to look this one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it out one time, Aylee- it was so different to any graphic novel, or really any work at all, that I'd experienced before, and really one that sticks with you. I'd love to get a copy of it someday so I can always be able to go and read it, because for me it's the kind of book you could pick up every so often and just read a little bit of, to remember it all.

      Delete
  5. Oh, you have read Blue is the Warmest Colour!! I haven't done a review (since I got that great guest review) but I did read (and enjoy) it too :) It was a bit more adult than what I expected (or more NA than YA), and the art wasn't really my style, BUT I don't regret giving it a chance. It's the kind of story that just stays with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to read your own review of it, Cayce! I'm really interested in seeing what you thought of it overall. I totally agree with that- it was definitely more adult/explicit than I had anticipated, which makes me a little unsure about watching the film because it has a pretty high rating, but it's definitely a story that sticks with you. Do you have a review up on goodreads or anything? x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x