Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Searching for Sky by Jillian Cantor...

Title- Searching for Sky.
Author- Jillian Cantor.
Publish date- July, 2014.
Publisher- Bloomsbury.
RRP- $15.99 (PB)

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
Sky and River live on Island together, a paradise where they can live away from the skeletons Sky's mother told her lived on the other land, but when things change and they leave the island, she starts to see the tangle of lies that have surrounded her life.


Image Credit: Bloomsbury.
Thank you to Bloomsbury Australia for this review copy!


What I thought:
Whilst trying to think of a way to write this review, I have come up with a list of things I do and do not like about this book:

*Cover design, illustration- like.

*Title, blurb, font- do not like.

*Premise, beginning, idea- like.

*Follow through- do not like.

*Sky- mixed, quite irritating.

*River- do not like.

*The reaction to Sky from all the people- unbelievable in that it was horrifying, do not like.


So lets go over these things, shall we?

I like- really like- the illustration on the cover (front and back) of Sky and River's profiles. They're eye catching, dreamy and quite perfect.

I do not like the blurb (you can see it just above the title on the cover). I feel it's a little false or forced. The title never made a lot of sense in relation to the story, from my point of view, though it does sound rather nice. The font, both for the title and the page count throughout I really didn't like. It felt very childish for the story/characters, in a way, and I would've liked something a bit more mature.

The premise, the idea and the beginning all worked well for me; I like the way they live on Island and the simplicity, the beauty that filled the writing, making it so easy to feel Sky's love for that place; I enjoyed the possibility linked with the idea of the story, and I had high hopes for a story that didn't quite pan out to how I hoped it would, which covers the issue I had with follow through. I had also hoped a good amount of genuine time would be spent on the island, giving me time to become engrossed by the way of life and be anguished when Sky and River left, but in roughly 20 pages I didn't get that, and the dreams+flashbacks didn't make up for it.

Sky, whilst having a unique vision and train of thought, was a bit frustrating, though a certain amount of that was because of the way people reacted to her and helped her by using presumption and other darling tactics. I understood her reliance on River, but at the same time: growing up on an island with only three other people (and then two), wouldn't you gain a sense of confidence in yourself, though not loosing the ability to rely on others? I imagined it would've gone both ways, whereas she didn't seem to be able to take care of herself.

River frustrated me more than Sky, though I can't pinpoint exactly why that was. He's a bit of a flaky character and I didn't like the way he acted from very early on, and that stayed with him throughout.

Rating: Oh nooo...
I wasn't particularly attached to the story ot the charracters, and none of the plot twists really touched me; at times I found myself reading mostly the dialouge, skipping or only glancing over the wads of internal narrative between, and that got me through the story, but other elements didn't.

10 comments:

  1. I love the cover for this too - the illustration is beautiful! It's too bad this didn't live up to potential - it sounds like an interesting allegory-type story. Great review though - I like that you highlighted both what you did and didn't like in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? And the back compliments it really well, with Sky (though he doesn't look at all how the story made me imagine, it was still a really nice image). I think you could be right, there- it'd have been interesting to see what more I picked up on, how I saw things and noted them, had I liked it even a little more. x

      Delete
  2. Oh bummer! I've never actually heard of this one so it's not a letdown for me to hear that it wasn't a great read, but it's always a bummer when a book with a great premise doesn't live up to its potential. I'm pretty sure I would feel the same way as you on a lot of these points! So it's too bad. I'm quite taken with the cover illustration too, though the best covers have the whole package when it comes to design, of course. Nice thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Still, I'm kind of glad I read it because at least I know how I feel about it. I wanted to find out the story, and I did- it just didn't end up being one I loved.
      The cover illustration is SO nice, isn't it? I could hang that up, practically. (:

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so sad you didn't like this. :( I was opposed to reading it for some reason, but once I started? I was absolutely sucked in and I felt the story was so tragic! I WAS SAD. The cover is gorgeous, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it so much, Cait- I know not everyone is ever going to like the same book, but the fatc that quite a few people seem to have really fallen for this is great! I wish it could've worked for me too, but oh well. The cover is divine! xx

      Delete
  4. I'm about to start reading and reviewing this one next so I had to skim over your review in fear of spoilers. Sorry you weren't able to connect well with the characters or the story Romi, but I can see where you're coming from. Did you cry at all throughout this book? I've been warned to have tissues on hand haha. I'm a huge cryer so yeah. Fingers crossed the book would work better for me! Wonderful review lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it more than me- I never really like to read a review for a book I'm about to start reading, either.
      No, no crying from me for this one! I very rarely cry throughout books, it happens once or twice a year of that and has to be with something really intense, but since I didn't feel much for the characters their situations didn't make me feel much, either. I'll keep an eye out for your review and see what you made of it! xx

      Delete
  5. I recently reviewed this one and thought it was such a tragic story, but I wasn't expecting them to get off the island that soon either. I guess with River abandoning Sky so early, he didn't have a choice. I didn't realise the back of the cover had River though, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually happened more times recently with books- the synopsis will discuss an event and then you get to it in the book and there is only a couple of pages and then it's over, giving so little time to feel everything and become attached to what happened in those moments. It's just in and done so quickly, and that's one of the main parts of the book done!
      I read your review a few minutes ago! I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot more than me and were able to feel moved by the story. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x