Friday, September 26, 2014

Books for when you're... (16)




Each fortnight, month, fifteenth full moon of the half equational motion of the earths full circuit I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.

Wanting to be somewhere else.
A different world or just with a bunch of characters who will captivate you with no holding back.

Un Lun Dun- China Miéville.
The other version of London is featured in this book (not to mention men with birdcages for heads and milk carton friends) and what a place it is! There is darkness lurking and so much whimsy. Umbrella ninjas! You don't have time to think of anything else, not with all the wonder and twists in this story.

Coraline- Neil Gaiman.
It's the kind of read that pulls you along, even though you might be the teeniest bit terrified of where exactly it is taking you- it's a whirlwind of a story and a little bit impossible not to run after.

Poison- Bridget Zinn.
A really incredible story of a young woman who tried to poison her best friend- a friend who just happened to be a princess. A poisoner, the most talented in the kingdom, is on the run and the princess she so desperately wanted dead is still out there. It's just a brief overview and already I'm there!


Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

8 comments:

  1. I love the world Coraline takes us too, so your other two suggestions already have me excited! I hear a lot of good things about China Mieville books but haven't read one yet, but Un Lun Dun sounds like a great one to start! Especially if it's whimsical! :) Also I've heard Poison is a fun read, so I hope to read that some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted so badly to read another of his (China Mieville) books, but I tried an adult one (I think this is his only younger people novel so far, though I could well be wrong) and it wasn't for me. His imagination is incredible, though, and I hope you love it as much as I did!
      Poison was so good. I'm adding it to my (growing) summer re-read pile. xx

      Delete
  2. Coraline is a great book. If you haven't read the Graveyard Book that is really good too and you should give that one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read it, or rather listened to Neil Gaiman read the audio, and I read the graphic novel (volume 1) recently, too, which was pretty wonderful. Have you read it, actually?

      Delete
  3. Omg, but being pulled into Coraline?! I WILL PASS. That book was mildly freaking to me, and I was like double the intended age of the audience. Hehe. It still was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand how that wouldn't actually be a good thing to happen, though I didn't consider it in that sense before you commented, Cait. A scary, scary thing to happen. It was amazing, the story, but I wouldn't want to be INSIDE it. NO NO NO. Still, it's very vivid! xx

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure if the comment went through, so I'll repeat. I've been looking forward to reading Poison for a while now and hopefully I will get to it eventually. Un Lun Dun I've never heard of but it sounds so intriguing. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good read, Rochelle- funny and sweet and brilliant. Such a different read from other novels about, I thought. I hope you love it nearly so much as I do, when you get to it! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x