Sunday, September 14, 2014

Plotting a Takeover: Character Buys 7. (Plus a competition!)

A not so regular feature in which I pick a book and then pick out things I think the character/s themselves would own/use or just really like. All links go to etsy/the store's website. This week the featured book is...

As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka.
Focusing on Lumikki.

The starting point for all of this is that Lumikki doesn't have many possessions during As Red As Blood, as, I think, a kind of protection. She doesn't want to be used by someone and she doesn't want to put down roots (though I do think she plans on getting more things), so these things I imagine she would have when she's not scared of that, or when she feels like she can make a place her home.


I think she would definitely use these for school/work. They're so neat and I really connect Lumikki with the night-sky and constellations, possibly because of the darkness associated with that time of day, but these are perfect.


And a planets tote! I think this, especially in this black is absolutely wonderful, because it would match her style and it's intriguing and perhaps a little mysterious.

This journal is very intricate and subtle, one of those things you notice more things about the more, longer, you look at it, and in ways that's how I feel about Lumikki as a character.

Lumikki's world is Finland, the home of Moomin, and I loved the fact that she did own something Moomin. It inspired me to try and find a couple other things she would covet, and this is one of them.

And she would have to have a Moomintroll soft toy! I adore this and think she would too, whether it be something she takes to her new home from childhood or a particular buy as an adult, I am doubtless she would have something just like this.

One particular thing that doesn't fit the character we've seen so far is that she doesn't really wear vibrant colours, and yet I strongly imagine Lumikki with a really bright, hand knitted scarf, and this is a pretty swell match for it.

This is a really subtle piece of jewellery, but it's very beautiful and I think she would have something like this that isn't big or something you can't help but notice. It's small and delicate and fragile seeming, and I think that's perfect.


I find it pretty hard to work out, in my mind, what kind of art she would have, but maybe that's because her life, not just things on her walls, are a kind of art. Still, this piece and the next are, I believe, an exception.

I love the dark, misty feeling to this. Like a gray day, but it's got so much to it. I absolutely love it and think she would, too.



I am incredibly lucky enough to be able to offer, thanks to Hot Key Books, three copies of As Red As Blood to be won! Open in Australia only.

a Rafflecopter giveaway


20 comments:

  1. The items you picked for the character make me want to read this book! They are so lovely and full of personality. I don't know if this book would be for me though since I don't read too many crime thrillers, but if I feel like a change, I can pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to hear that, Charlene! I highly recommend you do give the book a try, even though it's not in a genre you're so into- I'm not into crime/thriller either, even in YA (which this is), but it was just overwhelmingly good. xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the book but I think you did a great job because I can kind of already imagine a personality just from the pictures! That stuffed toy is so unbelievably cute-I want it for myself, aha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic to hear, Alise! I almost want to be able to see this without knowing the character already, so I could see what I would anticipate/make of her. It would be very interesting, but I love the book too much to unwish it. (:

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful! I love how you recreate the character in a tangible way! I would love to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi! I hope you DO read it and love it, and also see her with your lovely creation as I do! xx

      Delete
  4. Awww, these are really great items and I think you were able to portray the personality of the character beautifully. It definitely makes that individual easier to relate to because these are things even I would want!. I would love that planet tote and the first one with the constellations!

    Yup, a lot of awesome books over there, my good friend ;) You've been buying a lot of good ones :D I'm looking forward to what you think of Rites of Passage. Reading that one right no w and it is indeed powerful!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Faye! That makes me very happy! I hope you'll read the book sometime and see what you think of it, especially since you like the things I picked out! (:

      Delete
  5. Oooh, this is such a unique and awesome feature Romi! The Moomintroll is so cute, I really want one now hehe.

    Hmmm, I think I would feature Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joy! The Moomin's are glorious (they're from a book series, which is creative and wonderful and hilarious)- I agree that I want one, too!

      Ooh, thank you for the suggestion! I haven't read that book before!

      Delete
  6. Such an interesting feature! It must take a lot of time putting together everything- although I'm sure you had a lot of fun doing it :P

    Not sure who I'd feature... Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door could be fun! Since she has such quirky fashion taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really just so much fun doing it, and I get so into it, that I honestly don't notice the time it takes. Ever!

      I haven't read that book- I tried Anna, but it wasn't for me. I had wanted to try it again sometime, but aren't sure if I ought to... Thank you for the suggestion! She does seem like a really interesting, quirky character, though!

      Delete
  7. This is a neat feature. I love it so much. I think it really makes reading probably better because you do more of a character analysis in your head. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Angela! You say the nicest things! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it! x

      Delete
  8. Oh my, that solar system tote bag is GORGEOUS!! And the Moomin doll is just the cutest "doll" ever <3 I just checked it out and there are so many cute dolls in that shop (mermaid dolls!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found some things here that you really like, Cayce! Maybe that means Lumikki would be a character you'd like! I'd love for you to give her a try.
      I think I'm going to have to save up for a moomin plush- it's so neat and I love the stories so much.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, this is a cool idea for a post. Nice picks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia! I'm glad you liked the things I picked and I hope it makes you a bit intrigued to check out the novel and see what you think! x

      Delete
  10. I haven't read the book, but I love the idea of thinking about the character in this way! Great feature! And I love the Moomintroll dragon (I like dragons, can you guess?!) and the cool tote bag. And, as a knitter, the awesome cowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lark! The book is exquisite, a favourite of mine for this year. It was so neat.
      Dragons are indeed magnificent, though the Moomin isn't really a dragon. I don't know what he is, actually, other than.. a moomin! (: x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x