Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Astrologer's Daughter by Rebecca Lim...



Title- The Astrologer's Daughter.
Author- Rebecca Lim.
Publish date- July 2014.
Publisher- Text Publishing.
RRP- $19.99 (AUD)


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
Her mother may have warned her that it would happen one day, but when she disappears Avicenna is not willing to let fate and destiny take her the only person she has left away. Not just like that. Not without some fighting.

Image Credit: Text Publishing.
Thank you to Text Publishing for this review copy!


What I thought:
During my read and upon my finishing of this, my feelings were fairly well the same:
that was fast/unexplained/didn't make sense
It didn't stop this from being a very quick read for me amid a book I just couldn't seem to get through, and it has made my reading bcome pleasantly quick once more and it wasn't ever exactly unenjoyable- it was just... confusing.
I read the first 60ish pages in one sitting and when I paused to have lunch, it just seemed like the things that happened had happened fast.
And a lot did happen- it felt like there was only really a single plot, but by the end I'd found there were at least two, maybe three or four, and, well, none of them really felt like they were properly finished. Maybe one. It was left up to the reader, I suppose, to decide how they wanted to take in the semi answers that were given, and that's not a bad thing, but here it didn't work for me. It just felt even more confusing and very unfinished. A blunt ending, going against so much of what the book had been working towards.

Avicenna Crowe, who is featured in the title, didn't make much of an impression on me, but oh the maybe-antagonist maybe-love interest did, and it was the impression that maybe, just maybe, amid the investigation into Avicenna's mother's disappearance someone would have realised he seemed like a bit of a stalker.
She hates him and I do not remember this being something she exactly hid, but she kind of gets over it as he turns up more and more, just waiting around at her street corner at 6.30 in the morning. What?
Also, from the brief wordplay glimpse we get of her, Avicenna's mother sounds like a complete ringer for Severus Snape.

Rating: Hmm...
So, though it felt oddly put together and there were coincidences, eyebrow raising conversations, scenes that made little sense, connections made that, also, made little sense, and things that were questioned and left unexplained, I didn't overtly dislike this story.
It wasn't wonderful and I didn't really *like* it, but... it was a pretty okay read, and it held my (occasionally mystified) attention fairly well from start to finish.

10 comments:

  1. I've read a few reviews for this book, and everyone seems to have the same issues with the plot and story going around in all places. The antagonist does sound like a stalker, I hate it when female characters seem to brush that off just because they're getting used to their presence. Ugh. Probably not a book I would pick up. Thanks for the honest review Romi! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was especially strange because she had disliked him so much previously, and that ebbed mysteriously away very quickly, which made little sense to me. You described it very well!

      Thank you so much for your comment, Joy, and for sharing your thoughts! x

      Delete
  2. This book is totally new to me but I'm really drawn in by the cover, it's really pretty. Sorry you didn't like the book more, although it sounds like you enjoyed some parts of it and at least it held your attention! The characters don't seem all that impressive either, although the Snape comparison made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm glad to hear you found that amusing. I marked the scene in my copy to refer to and thought it was quite funny, though I think it was supposed to be quite a bit more serious. You might like it! I couldn't honestly recommend it, because of how I felt overall, but if you think it sounds like it has potential then definitely I would say give it a try! x

      Delete
  3. I didn't really get on well with this book. *sigh* It was interesting but not fabulous and I felt very confused the whole time. The first, like, 1/4 was probably my favourite. I think the writing was very detailed and sensory...but theeeen. I don't even know what happened. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very confused was I, too. I was really glad how readable it was for me, though, even if I was very confused a lot of the time, and had issues with plot+characters, because it really got my reading back on track, and that was what I needed.

      Delete
  4. Yikes, doesn't seem like a really well-written and thought-out book! I would hate to be confused all the time. It wouldn't be a good reading experience at all. PASS!

    Yup, a lot of awesome books over there, my good friend ;) You've been buying a lot of good ones :D I'm looking forward to what you think of Rites of Passage. Reading that one right no w and it is indeed powerful!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a strange experience to not know what was going on for the majority of it, and frustrating that it didn't get resolved in the end, for the most part. Oh well- some books won't always work for me!

      Oh, I think the bottom of that comment was meant for someone else, Faye! (:

      Delete
  5. Well, it's good to hear that you didn't outright hate this book, it had some merit and it kept your attention. That said, I can't say that I'm going to be picking this one up after reading your review. I'm curious about this Snape comparison (ha!), but other than that, there's nothing here that tells me that I need to make this one my instant priority. Really appreciate your honest thoughts here, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, my Snape comparison! I should've thought how that would intrigue you! I just wish more of the story had worked for me.
      Thank you so much for that, Aylee! I can't say how much that means to me. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x