Monday, September 8, 2014

The Illusionists by Laure Eve...


Title- The Illusionists (Fearsome Dreamer #2).
Author- Laure Eve.
Publish date-
Publisher- Hot Key Books.
RRP-

*May Contain Spoilers for book #1 in the series*


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
Now Rue is in World and things are wonderful, but not what she expected. She's sure this could be enough, but with so many lies and truths swirling around her and mixing themselves up, she can't help but think back to all she left in Angle Tar. And darker things are on the horizon, coming closer every moment.
Image Credit: Hot Key Books.
Thank you to Hot Key Books for this review copy!


What I thought:
I had been trying to work out why it was that both books in this series took me so long to read, and I think I may have it. The storyline, it's not deep in the way that you'll miss everything if you don't read a word or two, but you... well, it's the kind of story you (in this case I) have to take your time with, to understand, and thus it took me a long time to get into. When I did, I managed to read the final two thirds in a day, but it still feels like reasonably slow reading.
The plot? It's fairly fast paced in that the world is at risk and it's got to be saved, but it's not rushing anywhere, either, and while I had less problems, characterwise and overall, with this compared to the first book, it still had it's issues, in my opinion. AND YET. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it quite a lot, again more on the finishing and looking back than during the read.

Rue becomes such a... a character I felt for and with. I understood her as she changed ad started to take herself seriously, trust herself, and it was quite a slow going, wonderful period of growth. I liked her and I could root for her in a way I wasn't able to imagine doing in the first book.
The other characters, they don't really measure up to her in their on page time or strength of character; basically, the others could've experienced a similar kind of growth, but would they have measured up to Rue, in the end? Probably not. Still, they doubtless could have benefited from more learning and growing and changing.

It wasn't until we got to the end, however, that things started to get pretty confusing. There was a major revelation that just didn't seem to fit or make sense, and I didn't undersand it, not really- didn't see how it could fit even when it was explained. Fortunately for me it didn't effect how everything ended (though it could have quite seriously).
The end itself is quite open, in it's way, leaving the reader to ask questions they may've liked answered or not asked at all.
I, myself, would've liked a particular eventuality not bought up at all, but even though aspects of the last 30 pages didn't feel necessary in the way they were written and the new things they bought forth, I wasn't too bothered, overall.

Rating: Ooh, very good.
I like that these books unashamedly don't hold back- language; awkward, believable conversations; sex/ual refrences. It stays true to itself, and that doesn't mean I'll always like the places it goes. I don't. But I love the way it gets there.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting, very curious. Well, I think I might have mixed thoughts for this one like you did, but I am nonetheless very interested in reading this series because it really does sound unlike anything I've read before. And that's an exciting prospect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is that- this is a world that is just so different from anything I've ever read or even heard of before, and I really like that part of it. I like how it is built and described and that doesn't mean I like the world itself, because it's a bit scary with all the control and things that go on inside of it. I would recommend you read the books, Aylee, and see what you think. x

      Delete
  2. I really like the cover if that tells something :P I'm on the fence regarding this one... it seems okay, but not the kind of premise I'm usually attracted to. And that event makes me nervous... usually things thrown in for the heck of it, with no meaning or explanation at all, drives me up the wall. And I usually freak out XD

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the covers for these books are possibly my favourite of the year! I just adore the artwork. And it really stands out, for me, too, which is great- I love unique covers, and it's a really neat representation of the book, since it's very different in little ways, though some are big.
      Hmm... I wish I could recommend it one way or another, but I'm really not sure. It certainly has faults as a series, but overall I really enjoyed it for it's uniqueness and the way the story took the characters, and of course the growth of Rue. For that it's totally worth it, in my opinion.xx

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one, but it seems pretty interesting with a cool concept. And it's great that it's a step up from the first book for you! I hope the story will have a good finale though to wrap everything up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting concept, especially once you get into the story and start understanding it more- it took a chapter or two, in the first book, before I could really feel a connection/understanding start, but it's so neat.
      It's actually only a two book series! I think that's another great thing about the books, that there's only three, and it wrapped up pretty well for me, apart from the slightly confusing moment towards the end. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x