Monday, October 20, 2014

Brick Flicks by Warren Elsmore...


Title- Brick Flicks.
Author- Warren Elsmore.
Publish date- October 1st, 2014.
Publisher- Allen and Unwin.
RRP- $24.99 AUD.

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
The cover says it all. Films. Films you may have watched, heard of, or never known existed. Scenes from them. Lego. Put it all together, and you have Brick Flicks.
Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!
Image Credit: Allen and Unwin.


What I thought:
Brick Flicks is an idea I love- showcasing 60 films in Lego? Fantastic! And the potential, not only with the creations but with the new films to be discovered, too, and the intrigue as to what fi;ms would appear (I was overjoyed to see Dirty Dancing, a film I discovered for the first time only recently and ADORE in endless capitals, featured) was immense. I have a mass of markers (26 by my count!) for films I now want to see, and I am really fascinated by the fact many of them, like The Italian Job, I may have heard of but never been particularly interested in until now, for the information, facts and summaries (though painfully spoilery on more than one occasion) are very intriguing and make me want to find out more, see the related film for myself.

I was not particularly surprised, when I think about it, by most of the fi;ms chosen for the book; a lot are films hailed as the best (and this is of the most iconic, I relent), ones featured in top ten lists, and though some (movies I've heartily enjoyed like Austen Powers and Waynes World) did surprise me by being included, I would've liked a bit more diversity. Isn't it a fantastic idea to recreate a scene from Labyrinth in Lego? It is, I think, very iconic, and yet there were few films I have truly loved featured (and no period dramas!) which makes me a little sad.

It was not the Lego, as I would have expected, however, that stood out as the best part of the book for me, because I can only say that there were four I thought truly wonderful, the best of them being Dracula. I felt disappointed, because though I can't imagine the lengths to which time and effort was put to make these scenes what they were, I often wished there was more- a bit more detail or intricacy or link to the film. Many were surprisingly simple, and whilst for The Birds that works very well, for many it left me dissatisfied.

Rating: Ooh, Very Good.
Overall, though let down a bit by the Lego, this is a marvellous book and has introduced me to many a new film, and heightened my wish to return to many more. And seeing film scenes and posters made from Lego is reliably hilarious.


2 comments:

  1. YOU WILL NEVER AGAIN ASK FOR THAT CREEPY MOVIE TO BE TURNED INTO LEGO. I love David Bowie but the very small amount of that movie I saw was enough to SCAR ME FOR LIFE AS A CHILD AND I CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING BUT HIM IN HIS TERRIFYING TIGHTS.


    Apart from that, this book is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YES I WILL! I, too, think David Bowie is excellent, and I adore Labyrinth. It is magical and marvellous and crazy and a joyous romp of excitement and awesome songs. I adore it. I WILL FOREVER ASK FOR IT TO BE CREATED IN LEGO.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x