Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Plotting a Takeover: Character Buys 8.

A not so regular feature in which I pick a book and then pick out things I think the character/s themselves would own/use or just really like. All links go to etsy/the store's website. This week the featured book is...



The Fairyland series by Catherynne M. Valente.
Focusing on September.


A dark hued print that would speak of the sea and the dark things she hasn't yet met who live in it, of the world under fairyland where Halloween lives, of purple haired girls and the mysteries their eyes speak.

These just yell in high tones "September" to me, and I am not one to ignore high toned yelling, especially when I am the one doing it.

In her house would be things like this, wall hangings or bags or cloths with pictures of the creatures she longs to stay with, the ones she is so very fond of and wants to remember always.
(Source

The kind of dreamy thing she would see in Fairyland and remember, see and want to recreate at some point, to make sure she didn't forget.

I can imagine September as a young woman going to a fancy party, a fairy one or a human one, and thinking of Ell and wearing something like this, if she couldn't take him along with her.

For dancing with wyverns and around fairy circles and spending the night under the full, dreamy moon.

The first thing I thought of, practically, and this is just what I imagined.  A soft, thick, orange scarf for a girl who loves orange.

It's big and showy in it's way, but also delicate and small and I can imagine September falling completely in love with the detail and the flowers and wearing it always.

A pumpkin souffle scented orange candle? From Hagrid's pumpkin patch? I think September would be rightly thrilled by the very prospect. 

Orange, Orange, Orange. Like an autumnal pumpkin festival.

Witches around a table celebrating some deviousness? That is completely September, to me.
This is so Fairyland and September to me. It's kind of like the house is Fairyland and the creature is everything else, everything September hasn't found out yet.

12 comments:

  1. These things are very pretty, Romi! I especially love the necklace and the candle. You just reminded me of rows of candles I saw in store last week. I really should get myself one for relaxation time after midterm tests. ;) The pumpkin earrings are gorgeous. I never saw myself wanting a pair of pumpkin earrings but now you just make me want a pair. :)

    Lovely post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Hilda! I'm so glad you think so. I bought a pack of four candles from that store and they are just amazing- Butterbeer, in particular, is mouthwateringly incredible. I highly recommend you get something from the store!
      Well I'm glad! I really hope you end up getting a pair of pumpkin earrings, because I am sure they would look wonderful! xx

      Delete
  2. They're so pretty. It's shouting Orange. That necklace is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange is September's favourite colour! It's fun, because it's all orange and autumny and halloweeny and wonderful, and I had so much fun picking out things I thought she would like. xx

      Delete
  3. I love this so so much!! I hadn't seen you do this feature before...and it's awesome. x) I haven't read the Fairyland series, but I DO own book #1 (which I seriously need to just stahp procrastinating and read it already) and I do love the whimsical and mysterious feel of the items here. LOVE orange. It's my favourite colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU CAIT! That's really lovely of you! I've been doing this feature for a little over a year (semi-irregularly), but it is just so fun. One of my favourite posts to write up, for sure!
      Fairyland is one of my top 5 all time favourite series', and not only is each book incredibly beautiful and simply gorgeous, the third has left me not knowing how I'll wait for the next book.

      Delete
  4. Wow that cameo necklace with the flowers is gorgeous! I would love to own that, so I already feel an affinity with September! :) I haven't read this series unfortunately, but these are some wonderful, personality filled items, so I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you already feel like you can kind of connect with her through something I picked! It is one of my all time favourite series', so beautiful and basically just the thing I always wanted to read during my childhood. It is just a perfect series for me.

      Delete
  5. SO. MUCH. PUMPKIN :))

    And that dragon!!!! <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September loves pumpkins and anything orange! It was so, so fun getting into her spirit and finding a heap of orange, September-ish things. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x