Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Book of Days by K. A. Barker...


Title- The Book of Days.
Author- K. A. Barker.
Publish date- September, 2014.
Publisher- Pan Macmillan Australia.
RRP- $18.99 AUD.

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
She may have woken with no memory, but the moment she takes on the name Tuesday the heroine of this story decides to find out who she used to be, so she can go on and become who she is now. She will meet a lot of wonderful people on her journey.

Thank you to Pan Macmillan Australia for this review copy!


What I thought:
The Book of Days captivated me with it's entrancing, imagination-filling opening, it's journey of discovery filled with the words you always wish(ed) to hear, the hilarity of travelling companions whose sense of humor is bleak and blunt and every moment delightful, with it's desire to give Tuesday the best possible adventure, even if that means she's got to experience painful things, death and loss and truths that would have never been left but may have been better if they had, with it's wonder and desperation ad impossible choices, with it's promise, which is fulfilled every page. With it's creations, that astounded and delighted me.
Delighted. Captivated. Entranced.
The Book of Days did all this, and it left me so very glad for imagination and fantastical happenings and stories about girls who woke up with nothing and decide that's not right, what they want is to be someone, so they stand with their name Tuesday and they go and become something. And she became something quite, quite wonderful.

There are cities that fly, contraptions that make my mind whir, assistant librarians who may be blind through a terrible tragedy but can still laugh louder and at more bluntly said things than anyone else. A woman with a wooden leg who is fierce and sad and wonderful, a very old, very amusing, very sweet (unintentionally) man, and, of course, that girl called Tuesday.

Rating: More than Excellent.
It is quite perfect. More than that- it's marvellously, rompfully, wonderful

10 comments:

  1. Never heard of this one, but I'm definitely digging it from your review and I love the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll add it, Aylee! I'm pretty sure you'd LOVE it, and it's just such a fantastic book. Excellent. x

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of it either! But humour? I LIKE HUMOUR. It's probably my favourite thing (besides, you know, awesome characters/plot) that I really like to read in books. :) This sounds really super unique too, which is what I'm always up for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cait, this one I believe you will love! Please try it, one of the characters has a sense of humor/wit that reminds me quite a bit of yours!

      Delete
  3. This is the second positive review I've read for this one! (Granted, I've only read two...) But it sounds fantastic! I love a story that really appreciates the imagination. I'm glad this is one of them! Great review! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun read, Jess! Really imaginative, inspiring to the creativity of your brain. It is definitely a book that takes you the places it sends it's characters, if that makes sense. x

      Delete
  4. Oh, this souds lovely. Don't think I have heard of this book before (though the cover looks familiar) but now I'll have to look it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you think it sounds very intriguing, Cayce, and you add it to see what you think! I really, really enjoyed it! (Lovely is an ace word- one of many words to describe it, I think. It's like a wonderful adventurous romp.)

      Delete
  5. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this book Romi! There was so much charm and adventure packed into this one book, it was just so quirky and so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I cannot wait to see what K. A. Barker comes out with next, because I really enjoyed her imagination and characters and creativity. It was perfectly suited to me reading wishes!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x