Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Graveyard Book Graphic Novel Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell.


Title- The Graveyard Book Graphic Novel, Vol. 1.
Author- Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell.
Publish date- August 2014.
Publisher- Bloomsbury.
RRP- $19.99 (AUD)

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
A graphic novel adaptation, by seven artists, of the story of a boy called Nobody who lives in a graveyard.

Thank you to Bloomsbury for this review copy!
Image Source: Bloomsbury.



What I thought:
I listened to Neil Gaiman (the, I believe, perfect voice for this story) read the audiobook of The Graveyard book a few months before, and I adored it. The story is odd., intriguing, amusing and whimsically blunt at times, and always with that vein of darkness- Bod is living in a graveyard, afterall, and he's there because someone (who may still be after him) killed his family one night when he was just a baby, though really that dark fact can be sidetracked every now and then as Bod's adventures take up the page and your mind alike.
It's a very vivd story, the characters unique and clear in my mind, and though I had very few troubles with the graphic novel, the fact that these characters are now drawn, pictured before me as they are in someone else's imagination, that took me a little but of time to get used to.

There are 7 different illustrators working on this, basically one for each chapter + the interlude covered in this volume, and that really struck me as neat- each had a different way of conveying the story, representing the characters (the favourites of mine being Stephen B. Scott with the Interlude and Galen Showman with Chapter 4), though none of them, no matter how intricate or fascinating or enthralling, truly fit what I already thought. Some characters, like the Indigo Man and Silus and the Sleer, they just are what they are in your head, and whilst I was so intrigued by how these artists chose to represent the characters, I can't say they felt right to me.

Rating: Ooh, very good.

It was such a marvellous experience, and a different one from listening to the audio, reading/taking in the graphic novel, though- I was excited by it, diverted- and my attention was persistently held.
All I could think when I finished was that I truly, truly wanted to see how what happened next would appear, and I fully intend to find out.


12 comments:

  1. Ohh, I'd like to try this. I read The Graveyard Book and enjoyed it. The audiobook sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audiobook is SO good. It's absolutely splendid. I think the novel has illustrations, which is something I really want to see, if I ever read it. x

      Delete
  2. It's so interesting that there were different illustrators working on different parts of the book! It's a great idea to bring different visual styles to one story, which would keep everything fresh I would think. This is one of my favorite Gaiman books. so I'm glad that you enjoyed the different versions you've consumed of this story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it to be, too! It was just so interesting to be able to see how different people approached the characters, and the different ways they drew and used the story to tell... the story. I hope you try it sometime, if you're so inclined! xx

      Delete
  3. I have been very interested in what this book would be like. I loved the book... I haven't read much lately and this might be one that would be fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be an excellent choice, Angela, and I would personally love to hear your thoughts on it compared to the book! Please let me know if you read it! xx

      Delete
  4. That really does sound interesting-the different illustrators. You make a really great point about everyone interpreting things differently. I STILL haven't read anything by Neil Gaiman, I need to get on that. Glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really neat! I'm appreciating it more and more each time I think of it, because I think I got a lot more out of the story with all the different people working on each chapter than I would have if it had been a single person. Well I highly recommend Neil Gaiman! I love his MG work. xx

      Delete
  5. Wow, it must have been interesting seeing the different illustrations from so many different people. Sometimes I think we read because we can create our own visuals to go with the stories. Great review Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so neat seeing how they all approached Bod, seeing as he's the one character in every chapter. The ways they drew his clothing and face, how they made him age.
      I think that's a really neat idea- I know I love being able to visualise things for myself when I read them, which is why sometimes I don't like heavy descriptions too much. xx

      Delete
  6. I've read the book of this, and I definitely feel like giving the graphic novel a go too! To be honest, I don't really read graphic novels- maybe because of the art? (I'm too used to manga style art haha)- but I definitely want to get into them at some point, and this one sounds like it'd be a great one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic to hear! Whenever I read manga/graphic novels, it's interesting which way they're presented- the traditional, Japanese way or left to right as I grew up reading; I'm more used to the traditional style for them, and when I started reading one that was the other way recently I was reading it in the wrong order! Confusing! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x