Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl by Melissa Keil...


Title- The Incredible Adventures of Cinammon Girl.
Author- Melissa Keil.
Publish date- September 2014.
Publisher- Hardie Grant Egmont.
RRP- $18.95 (AUD)

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
This is the story of the end of the world, an artist who is struggling with more than just her rebelling creation, garden gnomes with funny names, and delicious food.
Thank you to Hardie Grant Egmont for this review copy!
Image Source: Hardie Grant Egmont.


What I thought:
There is something incredible addictive about Melissa Keil's writing. I found this out when I read her YA debut Life in Outer Space last year, and though the these two stories are incredibly different, that certain *something* lingers, transpiring plot and characters and the adventures had by all. There is a beautiful peculiarity to her work, a uniqueness to her stories and the stories of her characters, and I love it.

Cinammon Girl follows the story of Alba, who is struggling with a new comic character (the titled) she has designed whilst watching her small down become hysterical as it is inundated by people who believe it is the only spot that will survive the oncoming apocolypse, and I did imagine Cinnamon Girl would take a greater role in the story, become a more fleshed out character, though she stays rather one-dimensional. Still I love her, for her design on the oh my gosh beautiful cover, for the detail in which her world (that of a comic-artist) is described, for what she represents. She is as much a character as any of the speaking ones, and remains possibly my favourite.

The other characters, even though I had a couple of faults with their behaviour at times, are also fantastic, and I swelled at the friendship of Alba, Grady, Pete, Tia, Eddie and Caroline- all of them got to show their own spirit and affected Alba's story in incredibly important ways that I just adored. I did have a bit of an issue with Eddie's story arc (he's happy to finish school at year 11 and most of the friends think that's just awful, a waste, disgraceful ect.) however, and wasn't particularly pleased with how it was handled.

The story amused the heck out of me. I've marked at least 10 points in the book and almost all are there to mark hilarious quotes (many having something to do with gnomes), which remind me of my extreme love for the story, for Alba, for Cleo and Angie (two of the most interesting, genuine and lovable fictional parents I've thusfar met) and just the interestingness of the story. It is hilarious and wonderful and captivating and I don't express emotions when reading hardly ever, but this? Well. This had me snorting and smiling and marking pages so I can do it all over again.

Rating: Practically Excellent.
Have you ever wondered what would happen if a small Australian town was the last surviving point come the apocolypse?
Well, you may just find out if you read this. Also, it's very funny.

4 comments:

  1. You have sold me on this book. I just want more time to read books!! I am trying to get through the last two Project Disney books and then I will have plenty more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great to hear, Angela! I think you'll love it for sure!
      I've found I've had so much time for books from my bookshelf lately, but two books took me a fortnight or so to get through, so now I'm back into reviewing.

      Delete
  2. I want to read this book so bad. In fact, I really want to read Life In Outer Space as well. Why have I not read Melissa Keil yet? I have no idea because I really want to. I'll have to make sure I grab both of her books soon. Great review, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make a point to read them both soon, Rochelle, because she is such a fantastic writer, and her writing voice is really unique. Her stories are great! I hope you love them, when you get a chance to read! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x