Thursday, February 26, 2015

Mini Review (10)


Anders and the Comet- Gregory Mackay.
To describe this book in one word would be to use this one: Neat.
It's splendid, imaginative, like one of the adventures I would have as a child- it felt just like a child's mind or spirit, with the feel and direction of the story, and to step back to that was and is always a wonderful feeling. It didn't make any big statements, simply went into the story, which was nicely layered with the suggestions at Bernie's (a young elephant) background and Eden's (seen wearing the eyepatch) mothers, and told something that was memorable and enjoyable and really quote neat. I love the comic/graphic/manga way of storytelling and really love that it's how this was told; it made the story unique, interesting and I feel so excited for everyone who picks it up and discovers this different way of storytelling.
Anders and the Comet is the first in a series and I, for one, am really looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!
Image Credit: Allen and Unwin.

The Boyfriend List- E. Lockhart.
I bought my copy of The Boyfriend List as an ex-library copy, forgetting that it was actually no longer on my tbr list- it was the very same copy I'd tried and given up on some months before, but I did not recall that I hadn't felt the desire to give it another try and splurged a whole 50c. And it turned out to be a really fantastic read.
Ruby was a very real and nicely unlikable character. I really admire the way she was written with faults, faults she acknowledged even though she knew they weren't right. She would talk about all the things that meant she should feel one way, all the things she believed in, and yet she idn't feel that way and she knew it. Admitted it. She still believed, though. even if she felt something that wasn't aligned with those beliefs, and I really, really loved that. She did the wrong thing and blamed people before she blamed herself, and she displayed such character growth as she traversed the course of this novel; as the story unfolded I came to grow more and more interested in it, thinking and feeling and relating and enjoying it a huge amount.
Thank you to the luck and chance of library sales. And Santa Clause christmas wrapping, for corner mending.

Minton Goes! - Anna Fienberg, Kim Gamble.
I think I would have sunk, had I read the collection of stories in Minton Goes to myself, especially after the first story, The Hottest Boy, which I thought was fairly marvellous- a marvellousness that I didn't feel throughout the rest of the book. But as it happens, I decided to read the stories to my niece, and though The Hottest Boy is still my favourite of the lot and I never really took to Minton (though Turtle is, I must say, brilliant), the result is a very different one. Reading stories aloud brings forth a different kind of engagement, and for the days I read this to her, my niece was the most engaged she had ever been in a story for such a length of time. When you read them aloud, the stories (more like chapters, really) grow and become bigger, more exciting and wonderful than they would be if they were not spoken; Minton's hairbrained schemes, the friends he and Turtle make, Turtles dour perspective, voice breathes life into them in a remarkable way, and in the end I really enjoyed my experience with this book and it's, really, very neat illustrations (I truly love the way Kim Gamble mixes and utilises colour- it's very distinct and memorable): though we're not quite up to building Minton's vehicles.

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!
Image Credit: Allen and Unwin.


7 comments:

  1. Ah, I've picked up books that I've given up on before too, but wow if it's the same copy it definitely would have brought things back quickly. Anders and Comet sounds really fun! Great reviews Romi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite certain it is- it had chew marks in the corner, which I cleverly have now disguised with christmas wrapping paper. It actually looks a mix between cheerful and creepy, seeing as it's got a massive old timey Santa Clause face looking up from the corner.

      Thank you, Jeann! xx

      Delete
  2. I very rarely DNF so I usually remember the books that I do haha! It's cool that you ended up enjoying the book though Romi, I like it when the ending saves the book. So glad you enjoyed all your reads! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of conflicted about not finishing books, particularly review books, but nowdays I'm trying to just move on if it's not something that I like, because I don't like to just keep going if it's not making me happy, thrilling me or enjoyable. These were three good surprises, though!

      Delete
  3. Minton Goes and Anders and the Comet look really good!

    I bet you're glad you gave The Boyfriend List another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason my brain put good when I meant to say cute -__-

      Delete
    2. Anders and the Comet is really cute! But good, too. I really enjoyed how it had messages of importance and acceptance that you'd understand as a child, but also on a different level as you got older.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x