Saturday, February 14, 2015

As You Wish by Cary Elwes, Joe Layden...


Title- As You Wish.
Author- Cary Elwes, Joe Layden.
Publish date- November 2014.
Publisher- Simon and Schuster.
RRP- $24.99.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
A look inside one of my favourite movies, this is a behind the scenes tour and tale of the making and aftermath of The Princess Bride, told by The Dread Pirate Roberts himself.
Thank you to Simon and Schuster for this review copy!


What I thought:
So. Here's the thing. My love for Cary Elwes as an actor spreads to two of my favourite things: The Princess Bride and The Ca Returns. The Princess Bride, both film and book, are two of my all time favourite things. I also have an all time favourite book that is, ever surprisingly, non fiction.
Now I have two all time favourite books, sitting side by side, because As You Wish was more, much more, than simply fantastic.
It expanded as I read it and took on a life of it's own, and as I learnt new things about the film, the actors, the book, it grew and grew, so I could hardly do anything but love it.

So, my two all time favourite books? Both non fiction. I read very little non fiction, it must be said.

It is such a sweet book. So warm and full of love and adventure and passion for this project that took on such a life years after it came out. There were contributions from the actors, William Goldman, the producer and Rob Reiner, and they all... they write with such clear passion for it, and that is something I adore. When someone loves something so much that it seeps into you. This did exactly that, with the stories of getting the film off the ground, meeting the other actors, anecdotes from set (many- most, really- of which were hilarious); Cary Elwes writes a book that is absolutely fantastic, and I had an incredible time reading it.

Rating: Big Explosion MIND BLOWN.
Phenomonal. New all time favourite book alert.

4 comments:

  1. This was such a wonderful book! The love everyone has for this film is amazing, and I was so happy to share in it with them through this book. Definitely a great pick for new favorite! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually rewatched the film last night and it was so interesting to know where Cary had broken his toe and try to see where he was limping, watch for the knockout scene! It seems I love most things relating to this story. The novel. The film. This!

      Delete
  2. I recently read another non-fiction book and didn't just love it. I've seen a lot of people review this one though and they just adore it. I don't know if I want to give it a chance or not???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you've read the novel/seen the film- I think if you have seen/read either and felt passionate about it, certainly! I highly recommend this. I personally wouldn't want to read it before reading or watching the original, though, as it can be spoilery.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x