Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Flywheel by Erin Gough...


Title- The Flywheel.
Author- Erin Gough.
Publish date- February, 2015.
Publisher- Hardie Grant Egmont.
RRP- $19.99 (AUD)


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
Love longed for, love twisted, love true. Saving libraries, cafe life, rescuing friends from the law, flamenco dancing, growing up. 

Thank you to Hardie Grant Egmont for this review copy!



What I thought:
The Flywheel was not, to be honest, what I had hoped for. I read it in two days, regardless, the majority  on a hot summer day where it could fill up my mind and waft through my thoughts, but, at least for me, it wasn't a book with a story or characters that did much besides waft. Soon after I closed the book they were gone, and though I think the cover is incredibly neat and the blurb entices me, the story did not, particularly. It had good points and bad points, too, surprises and frustrations and all of that, but most of the time I could describe it as simply being "there".

I think the main thing that actually annoyed me about the story was the behaviour, the flimsy attitude of the protagonist, Del. She could have been standout, but instead she was passionate one second and angry the next without, to my eyes, true justification; I think this is a point she had to try and accept herself, but though that may be I still found myself struggling to reconcile myself with the way she cast people  off without a moments notice because they couldn't do what she wanted. She was too messy a character for my liking, and though I ruly hoped to find her likable and marvellous, that didn't happen for me.

One of the things I thought was the most well done would have to be the rememberances and after effects of Del's first crush, a crush on a girl at school who, after returning the affection, turns against it sharply and without kindness, which results in cruel taunting and bullying. It was unlpleasant at times, but also had true moments of sweetness. I understood more of Del in those moments than in most others.

Rating: Poor.
As a book that looked and sounded brilliant and original in general, The Flywheel was mostly a let down. It did have some good moments, but they didn't really amount to anything huge or great to me, and already are faded from my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x