Friday, March 6, 2015

Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean by Various Authors...


Title- Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean.
Author- Various.
Publish date- January 28, 2015.
Publisher- Allen and Unwin.
RRP- $16.99 AUD.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
A collection of short stories, told via word and illustration, from authors across Australia and India, that celebrate and focus on women and girls and the stories they have to tell.

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!
Image Credit: Allen and Unwin.


What I thought:
This is a really diverse, unique collection of stories about women and girls; it was a really unusual read, with some of the stories really touching me, some throughly engaging me, some leaving lingering thoughts and questions, and some being a bit creepy for my tastes. From 20 contributors comes a range of stories from Australian and Insian writers and artists, and I do truly feel like it was a special honor to be exposed to the work within. I'm going to spotlight the stories that were the most standout in my reading; they are a mixture of graphic stories (meaning graphic-novel esq.) and written, and cover a wide range of themes. All of them touched me in their own way as I read.

-Swallow the Moon, by Kate Constable and Priya Kuriyar.

I enjoyed my reading of this, but not until the end did I see the full-scale picture, and that turned it from an interesting-if-perplexing tale into something much more important and wonderful. The story has a faintly strange rhythm, but I enjoyed it and thought it was really well done; the way the word and the art work together is very nice.
It's a story about celebrating the future and coming of age of women by remembering the past.

-Cooking Time, by Anita Roy.
I liked the idea of this, most of all- the way it was written wasn't all that gripping for me, but the plot certainly was. This is a story about a future in which people don't eat actual food anymore, in a world where a reality TV show takes contestants back in time to cook with the available ingredients of the day. I think this is such a terrific idea. It really captured my imagination.

-Cast out, by Sarhita Arni.
I really loved this! For sure it would be one of my favouites, the story of a girl who gets cast out to sea for having magic, to be taken by the storms, only to be rescued by women who have likewise been cast out of their homes. It was imaginative and well done; I could've read a whole novel of this one.

-Cat Calls, by Margo Langan.
This was really quite fantastic, in a dark-ish way. A group of school friends turn the daily verbal abuse they have experienced onto their attackers. It was incredibly profound, though a part of me felt uneasy, strangely, as I read it. Possibly because I knew how real an issue cat calls and verbal torment are to people every day, and the teaming up of friends was an interesting way to combat it.

-Memory Lace, by Payal Shar.
This was another favourite, for it's uniqueness and the fact it just kept me thinking and guessing and wondering. More difficult to describe the story, here, but it's about two people, one a slave and one the "owner", and the lace that gives power over the people in this world.

-Back Stage Pass, by Nicki Greenberg.
This was, for sure, the most lighthearted of the lot, an amusing graphic-story about an interview with an actress, an unhappy one at that, and the character she plays: Ophelia from Hamlet. About separating one from their roles, this was splendid and most enjoyable.

-The Runners, by Isobel Carmody and Prabha Mallya.
One of my two absolute favourites, I just love the art of this story; the writing half is a little perplexing at times, as it is set in a different world/time and the rules that apply, the ways of life, are all quite different, but the art just swept me up completely. It was incredibly nice and told the story so well. I would frame that art, for sure.

-The Wednesday Room, by Kuzhali Manickavel and Lily Mae Martin.
My other favourite, this one is simply incredibly unusual and neat and I really, really like the art. About a girl who sees different beings and is writing a paper, with the help of one of them, to get herself Standardized, which will stop her from seeing the beings. It was interesting and nice and I really liked it.

4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea for a collection of stories! I love the cover as well - it's very eye-catching. I'm glad you enjoyed this one - for me a lot of story collection books can be hit or miss sometimes, but it seems like most of the stories in here are pretty solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, isn't it? It's a panel from the very first story, actually (Swallow the Moon); it looks particularly nice in colour.
      I agree, and that happens with me more often than not! I did like this one, overall, though! Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish afterwards, because you mayn't have liked the collection on the whole, but there were some shining stories. Luckily this one was mostly good. xx

      Delete
  2. :) This sounds lovely. Short stories usually aren't for me - I find they are either too short for me to get a grasp on the characters or that they end too abruptly when I want to keep reading on. Really glad you loved this one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's usually what happens for me, too, but in this is was different... they felt like they gave closure, I suppose, though I could've had novels out of a few of them! I'd recommend it, if you think it sounds like something you'd like! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x