Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Hold Me Closer by David Levithan...

Title- Hold Me Closer- The Tiny Cooper Story.
Author- David Levithan.
Publish date- March 25th, 2015.
Publisher- Text Publishing.
RRP- $19.99 (AUD)


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
It is Tiny Cooper's time, and he is going to tell his story, and he's going to tell is via musical, written by and starring himself.


Thank you to Text Publishing for this review copy!
Image Source: Text Publishing.


What I thought:

A YA novel that is written as if it were a musical? Stage directions, ideas for actors, dance sequences, songs and all? Well I am in.

I enjoyed my reading of Hold Me Closer, despite not having read Will Grayson, Will Grayson, from where the character of Tiny originates, though I wouldn’t say it was all I hoped it would be.
It was possibly more amusing and less wonderful.
Tiny Cooper’s story didn’t really speak to me, but the little bits in between songs and acts, where he writes these sections of backgrounds history and the aforementioned stage directions, those were the spots I felt his character in a way that was raw- a character who was the one starring in the show, but also a more emotional, real character- and I really felt impressed by the way I learnt about Tiny the character in those sections. They felt like more important- and beautiful, emotion and writing wise- revelations than anything I got in the musical, and that was really well done.

Now this would be a completely hilarious and wonderful musical if it were to be performed; I feel like I got half the experience, reading the script, as it were, and can practically feel how brilliant it would be live, all those (occasionally powerhouse) musical numbers, the brilliant mention in the beginning that anyone who would object to the musical would’ve left by the first song, and the appearance of the ghost of Oscar Wilde, who sings his very own song; really it was odd and ingenuous and would be a really good, stereotype smashing musical for high schools and collages to perform.
I’d go see it.
It mightn’t have been a brilliant book. It might’ve lacked depth and I may have wanted it to give me more, but to see Hold Me Closer actually performed is something I will hold out for, because I believe it is certainly worth holding out for.

Rating: Hmm... sometimes better and sometimes not.
I had a certain amount of trouble reading the back cover (so. very. glitzy.) and it was not an excellent read, but it had more than one moment of brilliance to it, this clever, amusing book, and I enjoyed it most of the time.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review, I've been wondering about this book! I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson and liked it, but I felt a little meh about Tiny Cooper's character. I probably won't read this unless I happen to come across it by chance, BUT I'd love to watch an actual performance of it. :D I can totally imagine that there are going to be performances of it in the near future (though maybe not where I live)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a performance would just be so great! It's musical and hilarious and standout, in it's way and the way it deals with things. It's the kind of musical you'd remember.
      I can understand not necessarily being interested in it unless you found a copy by happenstance; I didn't read WGWG, but liked the sound of this, so it's kind of a role reversal. xx

      Delete
  2. I felt pretty similar about HOLD ME CLOSER, but I had the added experience of having read WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON first. I definitely think you should read WG, WG because it gives so much more depth to Tiny, Will, and "Phil" than what you get in HMC.

    I definitely agree that the direction parts were the most beautiful. Where Tiny's voice really came through, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of it! I just couldn't fall in love with it. Even though I knew all about Tiny.

    Like you said: this would be AMAZING live, and I would definitely see it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the way they called the other Will "Phil"- that did make me laugh! Not as much as the Oscar Wilde song, though. Never as much as THAT.
      Lets hope it comes to us and we can delight in the oddness and amazing musical numbers and all the goodness of it live! xx

      Delete
  3. It's interesting reading this from the point of view of someone who hasn't read Will Grayson, Will Grayson (which I def recommend, btw). Tiny was my favourite in that and I loved seeing his musical come together there, so I'm sure I would love this one. Actually, as I understand it from people who have listened to it, the audio version of WG, WG is pretty great because the narrator does such a great job with it. It would be cool to have the same narrator perform this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I would read WG,WG, because from memory it wasn't my kind of thing at all, but if I could get it on audio then I would absolutely give it a try! I'd say that if you loved Tiny already and his plot, then you will really enjoy this! I'll keep my eyes out for a review. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x