Monday, March 30, 2015

The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente.


Title- The Boy Who Lost Fairyland. (Fairyland # 4.)
Author- Catherynne M. Valente.
Publish date- March 25th, 2015.
Publisher- Constable and Robinson.
RRP- $19.99 (AUD)

*This review may contain (it does, kind of) spoilers for the other books in the Fairyland series*
Read my review for books 1, 2 and 3 by clicking the numbers!

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
We’re back in Fairyland. What more could anyone want to know?

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!
Image Source: Allen and Unwin.


What I thought:
I have a longstanding love (what the heck, adoration) for the beautiful, glorious, delightful Fairyland books by Catherynne M. Valente, and I have a slightly less longstanding way of reviewing the books. One word.

Lists.

Adored:

1. Rediscovering and returning to Fairyland. We start the story there, in a gorgeous parallel to the first chapter of the first book (oh, I literally squeed, it was so fantastic), but we don’t stay there long, finding ourselves stranded in the world of Chicago- but we go back! We do! And it felt like going home.

2. A certain stuffed wombat called Blunderbuss. She was a shining star of the story in her own right, and how I adored her. Protective, fierce and just what you would imagine a troll boy would be in partnership with, she was terrific.

3. The words of Catherynne M. Valente. They have held me fast since the very first and they are so humorous, exquisitely captured and presented in gorgeous, moving, striking and heartbreaking ways. I keep getting so passionately emotional over these incredible books!

4. The return of a few dear friends. We don’t see Ell and Saturday much in the second book, as I commented on in my review of it, and this book wasn’t even focused on September! We have a new character who has a story to tell, and my, it was a striking change. But be sure September and co. are not lost.

5. The ending. Not quite as emotionally and heart wrenching as the end of the third book, but this still managed to pack a severe punch and I was “oh my!”ing and grinning, excited and in love.

Didn’t Adore:

1.5. September is a character I cherish, so of course I feel a twinge of distraughtness at her not continuing to be the sole focus, though I’m also invested in Hawthorn’s story, now.

And that’s all. Very simple, completely excellent, exquisite and brilliance in book form.

10 comments:

  1. NICE! I just got all the books of this series! I am looking forward to read them after I saw this book came out with such high ratings as well. My thought was "I am missing on something here". So I went on and got them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! That's so exciting! They're such beautiful books and I'm so excited for you to read them, because they are just incredible. Totally beautiful. I hope you have the best time reading them, Marisabel! xx

      Delete
  2. I have been dying to read this series, but I still need start with the first book

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start! Start! Start! I'll recommend the heck out of this series because it is so completely gorgeous and delightful. The characters are exquisite. The audio (I've only listened to the first book, but that) is splendid. I couldn't recommend it enough! Give it a try, Michelle! xx

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many good things about these books but I can never find them anywhere locally! I will only be able to get them online (which i've been trying to do less of because it always results in buying more and more books) but I love the covers too much to buy them on kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I was lucky that my library had the audio of the first book, and then I was just sold for the rest of them with no stops held. They're just amazing. I can only recommend saving up and buying them, Lily, because they're not just gorgeous covers! I don't know if ebooks have the same formatting, but these have chapter header illustrations, and they really seem, to me, the kind of book you need to hold and turn the pages of physically. I'm sure it would be well worth the buy! Happy reading! xx

      Delete
  4. zomg still need to read these books!! They've always seemed like to me like I would love the heck out of them. And that is definitely confirmed after reading your praise here. I just *know* I'm going to love Valente's writing as much as you do. And a stuffed wombat called Blunderbuss??! Oh, how whimsical, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AYLEE! This is unacceptable. You must go and get the first one now via library or cash. I have no doubt at all that you would adore this series- it's brilliant and fantastical and so, so incredibly wonderful. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR YOU TO READ IT! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ekkkk so I skipped over most of this review because I didn't want to see spoilers! Although I see you called it exquisite at the end... that sounds like pretty high praise! Going to make time for it later this year, although I don't know if I'll get to Book 4..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I Give the Fairyland books the highest of praise, always! They're just so, so gorgeous. I really hope you get to this series and adore it, Miriam! Hopefully it sweeps you up as much as it does me and you'll love it so much you'll be halfway through book 4 before you know it! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x