Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin...


Title- The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #3)
Author- Michelle Hodkin.
Publish date- November 2014.
Publisher- Simon and Schuster.
RRP- $16.99.


*Okay, it contains spoilers for the other two books. Let that be said*
My review of books 1 and 2!

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
Mara Dyer has to face it all, now, and don't for a moment think that "all" doesn't include herself. Mara, the girl with the powers and anger, is out for revenge. She is hurt and she is angry and she won't let anyone off easily.

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for this review copy!
Image Credit: Simon and Schuster.


What I thought:
I opened The Retribution, the final book in the Mara Dyer trilogy, a book I have been anxious for for over a year, and I was in. That's how easy it is and has always been for me with these books. But then something strange happened. The level of creepy went up from general Mara Dyer to atrually making me physically uncomfortable/disgusted, and the story wasn't actually all that fantastic. This could have something to do with the lack of Noah, since I'm pretty sure he and Mara make the books for me, so without him it wasn't nearly so enjoyable or wonderful, and I also realised that, after reading a little over 50 pages on the first day and having a night terror, I would have to get through it right quick. What proceeded on day two is, I believe, something I've never done before. 420 pages in a single day. I did finish it, though, and luckily only had the one bad dream, but... well,  I dondered if I'd get through it at all. The violence was stepped up 5 levels from what I remembered, and it wasn't something that I enjoyed at all, was happy reading or anything. I felt like it was wildly different from what I'd taken to in the first two books. 
I liked Mara Less. I understood her less. I followed the story to the darkness and the corners of her with less joy and enthusiasm. She channged in more ways than the characters themselves realised, and my gosh, there was a lot of killing (mostly brutal) for a YA book.

I can read the book very quickly, the same was with the other two, I think, but I never really liked where the story was going, even if at times I enjoyed it (way to make sense, Romi), but the end was good. The end made it partly worthwhile, and although I am skeptical at the ease with which things were tidied up and other things panned out (the whole book was an unexpected and slightly bizarre twist), and I didn't think it sat all that securely, I quite liked the last little bit, for what it was worth.

Rating: Whatever comes between Poor and Oh nooo...
Scary and surprising and, literally, nightmarish, the essence of Mara Dyer was lost to me until the very end, where it came back in an odd, confusing rush. Truly Mara and Noah make the book. One without the other is just not the same.

6 comments:

  1. Hmm that's definitely interesting. I've heard mixed things about this series but the majority of people seem to really enjoy them. I tried to read the first book but put it down. Sounds like you had a confusing experience with this one :P I would be somewhat conflicted as well, especially if the feel of the story changed that drastically with all the violence and creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite strange, for me- there was still the feel, sometimes faint and sometimes stronger, of Mara, the Mara from the first two books, but I guess she simply morphed into something different in the final. The violence level really put me off, though, and I nearly came to putting it down early on, it was making me so uncomfortable. /:

      Delete
  2. Eeeee I'm not sure how I would feel about this. I've only read the first so I have to catch up, but I really loved how trippy and creepy it was! But if it were to become exceedingly more creepy and violent... I have to imagine that that would make me really uncomfortable as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a pretty strange transition for me, especially as they're fairly well on the creep line of what I can deal with. This one just went further and was really uncomfortable at times. It all felt... like it was very different, I suppose. Hope it works better for you, if you read it!

      Delete
  3. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in this book! I was expecting ... something that was not what this book gave me. Although, to be honest, I quite liked how totally and completely badass Mara became. I thin I'm with you on the fact that Noah and Mara TOGETHER really made the first two books enjoyable for me, and the lack of Noah in this one was really sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. That is what I felt, about expecting something that the book didn't have. I'm not sure if it's because the length of time in between the second book and this one (I reread the first book after this and adored it just the same, though I didn't decide to go through with a reread of the second), but it felt like a really different story, compared to the ones we'd got before. Maybe Mara had just had enough and changed, so she could fix the wrong things that were done to her.

      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x