Friday, April 24, 2015

Feature a Movie (1)


Another new feature? Really, Romi?
I admit, I do seem to create new features with astonishing regularity, but I’ve got a lot of ideas, and possibly an equal amount of steam to present them with, so why not?
For a while, I’ve been wanting to start reviewing films, the occasional one, to try, so that’s what this is: each month, I’ll pick a film I watched and review it. It could’ve been the most memorable film, the strangest, the one that made me think or fear or- you guessed it- hope. You’ll just have to see.
And to start this feature off? I’ll be reviewing (links to IMDB) Pride.

Pride is a newly released film about the struggles of the miners in the UK when they were on strike (think Billy Elliot), and the LGBT group who decided to raise funds to support them, because they knew exactly what it was like to be standing for what you believed in.

I had… incredibly high hopes, for Pride, but I didn’t really know what I would get- a film about one party accepting the other, support, politics? I only knew it looked far too good to miss.

And oh. It is. It truly, truly is. Featuring a cast of actors who are perfect fits for the characters they are playing, this is a film that is real. And true. And so very genuine.  Was grinning with the spirit of it, letting out little laughs at the particularly amusing utterances of the characters, and I felt a real connection with the passion of L.G.S.M., the group formed to raise funds to support the miners.

So we have this big picture plot- a lesbian and gay group raise finds to help, encourage and stand by a Welsh community that is struggling from the effects of the strike, but then we’ve got the other stories- Bromley, his growing confidence as he became a part of this community that welcomed him and understood him in a way he must’ve known his family wouldn’t or couldn’t; Mark, the “leader” of the group and his dedication but also fear of the future; Jess, the first L. In the L.G.S.M., who I wish had got a bigger storyline for me to revel in.

This is a film of big things. Achievements, dance scenes, friendship, trust, self discovery, hope (of course), and I am so, so proud of it.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, this does sounds like a film that does things quite differently. I even love the premise as it's already so inspiring from the get-go. I wish there were more promotions for this one because this is the first time I've heard of it and I know many others would love to watch it :)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to watch it, Faye! It's really worth it. It wasn't all that well publicised here, either, though there were leaflets about. I wish movies that were smaller budget or generally thought ot appeal to a smaller audience (it would not be classified as a blockbuster) still got the same acknowledgement as those big films. I mean, film equality! x

      Delete
  2. Oh I remember hearing about this because of Andrew Scott - I didn't see it released in the US - but it's probably on demand somewhere to buy now though. It's wonderful to know that you were so moved by the story and that it delivered on inspiring hope. It sounds like a wonderful film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fairly easy to get, now it's oout of the cinemas- I hope you don't have too much difficulty in that respect, Charlene, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! Thank you for your lovely comment. xx

      Delete
  3. OH, I'm so glad you liked this! I've read the description somewhere and I remember thinking that sounds good - I think I'll check it out, thanks! (And I also keep creating new features, let's start a support group :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really brilliant, and I'm glad you're wanting to watch it, too! I hope you enjoy it as much as I. That dance scene I mentioned=brilliant. I'm sure you'll love it!
      Yes. I think that's a really good idea, Vlora! It'd actually end up being so sweet, I'm sure. All commenting and loving each other's new features. AAW. x

      Delete
  4. Ooohhh.. a feature about movies!! You know I love movies... so I can't wait to read your reviews. I am not sure if I have heard of the movie Pride before but will look for it now. I am guessing my library will have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye-hay! I'm really pleased to hear that, Angela- you're great support, you know that?
      Hope it does, and otherwise you can rent it somewhere! I'd love to read YOUR review of it, it you watch it. xx

      Delete
  5. Bah, no such thing as too many features when you've got things you want to talk about! And really, a movie review feature isn't far off from book reviewing.
    I've not actually heard of this one yet! I'm definitely interested, especially if it's anything like Billy Elliot (which I love)! I'll have to check it out. And I hope you continue this feature so that I can find other movies I need to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that’s so nice to hear, Aylee. Though I warn you, now I’ll no doubt come up with fifty! I shall most certainly test you! (:
      Oh, I’m so glad I was able to introduce you to it! The two are quite alike, though sadly there’s only the one dance scene in this, and quite a bit less swearing. But I hope you love it! Please let me know, okay? Xx

      Delete
  6. EEP. I need this movie RIGHT NOW. And how had I never heard of this? Madness, I say. Madness.

    I really have to mention, though, that I wish there were more LGBT+ movies, and that they were more easily accessible. Like, there's a movie that was released not too long ago called The Normal Heart and it's about HIV/AIDS and raising awareness about it to the government and gay community back in the 1980s. And I cannot find it ANYWHERE. It saddens me a lot.

    Anyway, this movie sounds lovely, and I will definitely be trying to find a copy to I can watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I am thrilled that I’ve been able to introduce you to this, Chiara- I thought it was fairly well known, but I suppose not, which is really sad. With some really big name British actors in it, I’d have thought it would be better known. Hopefully this review gets a couple of people to watch it, and then the word gets a little more around.
      Oh I know. I have Blue is the Warmest Colour on order from my library, and I was a ball of joy when I found out they had it, especially as they had the graphic novel, too! But… I shouldn’t have been, not for the reason I was. I should -expect- to see LGBT+ films and books just as available, in stores and rental shops and libraries, as anything else. That distinction between *this* and *that* needs to start closing. Best of luck finding that film, though! It sounds really interesting (will definitely be looking it up momentarily).

      I hope you love it, though I’m pretty sure you will! Xx

      Delete
  7. Oh I really wanted to see this at the movies, I'm sad now I didn't. I hope it's on DVD soon.

    Also: BILL NIGHY IS AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if it actually ended up coming to my cinema. (My local one, obviously. I'm not wealthy enough to own a whole cinema complex. Though that would be fantastic.)

      HE IS. Yes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x