Monday, May 18, 2015

From me to you and back again -2-

-This is where I talk about something. Something that comes to mind and sticks there and I want to describe so that it sticks in other peoples minds and makes them think, because that is what this is about. I want to be thinking. I want to be lit up and even alight. And I want you to leave this post with the memory of the thoughts it made you have.-

In a recent post, I said the following:
"The words that were subtle and the words that were hard to read and the words that left you wondering and all of it. They all left me hopeful. And what more could a picture book- any book- do?"

For me, hope stands above so much else. Hope in myself and others and life and fiction and everything I wish and believe to be true. I dive into fiction, into the papery worlds we so love, because I can find hope without having to conjour it up myself. I can see the things I need and the struggles to achieve them and I can feel like I, too, could triumph over those struggles. Hope and passion are very beautiful things, and I feel them when I read a book that truly hits me. Not touches. When I love a book, I love it with a fierceness and it rams itself into me with all the force it can muster. A mere touch, though delicate and beautiful, is nothing compared to the force of some of the books out there. It's still important, certainly, but it's not the same. Not for me. And to have a pile of words and paper and ink and imagination do that to me, to make my chest pound and excite me and scare me, to thrill and buoy and devastate... to bring me hope. To allow me to open it's pages and find the strength and emotions I need. Well. What more could a book do, indeed?

What could it do for you?

I want to thank, hug and offer apple pie to everyone who read, thought about and commented on the first post in this feature. Every single one of you is brilliant, and your thoughts were so amazing to read and think about. xxx

8 comments:

  1. I open every book I read with the hope that it will truly nestle its way into my heart and infiltrate me completely when I read it. I want nothing more than to find the next book that will make me incandescently happy. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen all that often, but I suppose it makes it all the more special when it DOES happen. Because I suppose the feelings wouldn't be as great or as memorable if every book we read was as fantastic and beautiful as the last.

    I truly love to read books that impact me, that stay with me long after I have closed the covers. They are most certainly my favourites.

    Which is why I want MY book/s to be that special for someone. Even one person. I just want someone to feel that kind of love and attachment to my characters and story. I want to bring someone that feeling that *I* get what I fall completely head over hells for a book. I want nothing more than that, really. Just the chance to give someone what so many authors have given me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I don't think I'd like it, to always be falling head over heels for a book, I'm quite happy to just be enjoying them, and then find the jems occasionally. It makes it quite the more memorable and glorious an experience.
      I completely agree with your sentiment. It's something I think about quite a lot when I write, but... I guess I always end up coming back to the fact I can't write my stories for anyone else, because how can I know what anyone else wants? I've got to write them for me, for what I want, and for the characters. And hope someone else sees it, too.
      Thank you so much for your thoughts! xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Romi. When I read a book at it leaves me with such thoughts, it will definitely impact me and make me think about it for years to come. It's amazing when a piece of writing can make you feel so many different emotions, and even if I didn't enjoy a book, if it still makes me feel something it's still special to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alise! x
      I definitely understand what you mean. I recently read a book by an author whose previous work had left me really perplexed, and though it's faded out of my memory since I first read it, reading another of his novels bought it back, bought back the questions and wonder I had, even though I wouldn't classify it as a novel I enjoyed. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, beautiful post once again Romi! When I read a book that moves me, it makes me think about the world around us. Anything that transports me to another place can wake my imagination, and for that brief moment, it feels like I've been given a chance to visit a different world. That's why I read - because mere words can transcend the physical space. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Joy! That really means a lot to me, and I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this topic. You wrote them up really gorgeously, and it was so nice to have this insight into your feelings when it comes to books. I think I can summarise most of our feelings, if not very eloquently: Books are pretty darn amazing.
      xx

      Delete
  4. What a beautifully worded post. I am going to have to agree with you when it comes to words and books - they do give me hope most of the time, and I feel incredibly passionate about them. But the best things about books is that I can learn about different situations and kinds of people. I won't always be able to apply all the situations to my life because some I will never go through. Others I will. But it easier to emphasise after being through a book that has touched me about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much! I guess books, even when they're dark and desolate, even when they don't give you hope, they do give you emotion. They give you something more intense or different to what you're feeling, and that can be so incredibly saving. It can also be simply incredible, to experience the amazing things told about in books.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x