Thursday, June 4, 2015

Mini Reviews (9)

The Cat Who Came in Off the Roof- Annie M. G. Schmidt.
Pushkin Children’s- Allen and Unwin.
Besides a cover and typography to not-literally die for, The Cat Who Came in Off the Rood is really a rather likable novel. It had the old-time classic feel to it, like you get from The Secret Garden and Little Women, and it reminded me of some of the talking animal stories I grew up reading and adoring (no idea what it was called, but there was this one about a family of flying cats- this felt very familiar to that); I would recommend this, only not as a favourite. 
As an enjoyable, rainy day read it’s perfect. The story is simple and, though unique, easy enough to predict where it would go- I would, ideally, have liked a bit more unpredictability, but I had fun with this story of a news reporter who only writes stories about cats and the cat-turned-human who he ended up collaborating with. I would have liked the background of Minou’s transformation to be really gone into (it would’ve made a great news story), and Mr. Ellmore was a little overly “the bad guy playing the nicest townsperson no one would suspect”, but all in all it was a nice, if slightly odd, read.

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for both of these review copies!
Image source: Allen and Unwin.

Image Source: Allen and Unwin.

Fuzz McFlops- Eva Furnari.
Pushkin Children’s- Faber Factory Plus.
Fuzz McFlops offers up a seemingly bittersweet story about a little rabbit, bullied for the fact his ears were different lengths, who decided to write his memoirs when he had become a famous writer/poet in adulthood.
He’s a cynical writer. He’s a poet of miserable poems. I loved the sound of it, odd and delightfully unique, and while I did get a fairly amusing story, it by no means met it’s potential, in my view. The story focused itself mainly on blossoming insta-love that came, as it tends, out of nowhere in particular, and the fact the romance came after a “fan” of Fuzz’s poetry wrote in and proceeded to rewrite one of his poems because she could do it better and it was too sad, with assertions of the “this is better, right?” sort at the end, well it made me feel quite frustrated. And annoyed. The rabbit who was supposedly such a fan seemed of the view that it wasn’t alright to write sad poetry where people end up unhappy, and I felt hugely frustrated and let down that this was presented and accepted. The kind of “it’s not okay to be not okay” thing that is really unhealthy to perpetrate, and in a children’s book!

For me, Fuzz McFlops didn’t surpass it’s synopsis, and left me more disgruntled than anything else.

10 comments:

  1. Heh, what cute, bizarre books these are! And I do love animal protagonists :) But yeah, I can see myself having a problem with the message in Fuzz McFlops too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love the cover for The Cat. It's just gorgeous! Yes! Aren't they wonderful? It can be done so well, though these definitely had bizarre elements.
      Oh yes, I was so frustrated by that!

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I can't remember the last time I've read a book in a pet's perspective. Lol. Sounds like a great time, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I have read do tend to be classics already, like these two, Black Beauty, the Frankle Mouse books, ect. They can be so neat and interesting. x

      Delete
  3. The Cat sounds like a fun read - even though I don't read children's books generally, if it brings up the feeling of the classic children's lit books than I'm interested! The cover is really cute for it too! It's too bad the second book was a disappointment though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, though it had moments of peculiarity that I didn't really touch on. Nothing overly strange, but I suppose it's not going to be free of a little oddness when there's a character who used to be a cat!
      Isn't it? Ah, I just love it. Yeah, it was pretty disappointing that the message was the way it was. Not something I could enjoy. xx

      Delete
  4. Awwww, books with animals in them! I actually love both covers ;) They're simple and appels to the minimalistic person in me who goes more for "less is more". Not sure I'd like the second book, though, but I'm game for the first one! Odd is good :D Different is good!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be so great, right Faye? I don't overly like McFuzz's cover when I see it close up, the art isn't something I'm a huge fan of, but I adore The Cat. It's simple and I love the way the colours have been done.
      Oh yay! I hope you'll give it a try, Faye! xx

      Delete
  5. The cover art for these titles are amazing! And the titles are clever, too. I'm definitely intrigued. I'm going to look into The Cat.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I'm not so fond of Fuzz, but I have a very soft spot for The Cat! I hope you decide to give it a try, Rosie. Definitely worth a read, it's one of those classic feel stories you can really enjoy. WORDS.
      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x