Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Reading on Holiday.

So I packed many books to read whilst I was away. I imagined I'd read them all, but when it became clear that wasn't likely... well I'm still surprised by how many I did get through. Lets do a roundup!

So THIS is the collection of books I packed. Minus manga and audio books. And Magonia.
I read-

Magonia:
Not as "Romi must read this for it was written for her" as I imagined it would be. Astounding and incredibly creative, but not that.

This is Shyness (a reread):
No longer a 5 star read for me, but a very happy 3. I really loved going back into this world of wonder and confusion, although subconsciously I've been mixing parts of this and Un Lun Dun together, so no wonder it came out a little different the second time.

Scarlet (audio):
This wasn't going so well for me, before I went away, but it ended up finishing pretty well! I actually started liking Cinder (which I didn't anticipate), although Wolf and Scarlet don't have a hold on my emotions. They were both pretty stupid, I felt.

A Bride's Story #5:
I really enjoyed this. The twins are a little hyper, yes, but I enjoyed seeing the progression of their wedding. Not sure how I feel about the Amir oriented chapter, though.

Dawn of the Arcaa #3:
This is such a twisting series. The first book I love-hated, the second I loved, now I'm back to love hate. I really dislike some of the characters. It has some awesome character development, though, even if it feels too soon.

Fruits Basket #2:
I'm loving this so much. It's covering a huge amount of the anime in the early issues, though- where will I be by #10?!

Fushig Yugi #1:
A new manga I got from the library whilst I was away, this I knew nothing about (who'd a thunk it), but it was really interesting. Possibly overly dramatic, but enjoyable aplenty.

Rat Queens #1:
I surprised myself by how much I loved this. It was violent and full of cussing, but I really, really enjoyed it. So much. Like, it's a favourite. WHAT IS THIS.

Pippi Longstocking (reread, started earlier in the year):
I was reading this to my niece and finally I finished. I like Pippi less than I remember, although she's one of those wonderful characters who is eternally brilliant, even if she doesn't always do the right thing. Next we're onto The Wizard of Oz!

Murder on the Orient Express (already started this one, was about halfway through):
It droned on a bit and I could've done with 100 pages less, and I knew the ending (although I wasn't sure it would be the same), but it's a pretty spectacular twist.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding:
So good. Loved this. Agatha Christie could make her short stories a wee bit longer and more detailed and her novels (or some of the ones I've read) a bit shorter and less monotonous. But these were all really solid and fun.

Life, the Universe and Everything:
Not a favourite in the series, possibly my least favourite so far (and I dislike the cover, although it's nice to own all the copies)- it was amazing, of course, but felt like it was being overly bizarre just for the point of being confusing. Which very well may have been the point.

Daddy-Long-Legs:
This was one of my favourites! Have had a copy for years and am so glad to have read it- it's all written as letters and was so, so enjoyable.

The Lives of Christopher Chant:
This was excellent. I was wary, after Witch Week, but this was really wonderful and ingenious and I enjoyed it so. much.

(And I started Cress and Souless on audio)

I decided against:

Tiger Lily:
This was a reread, one of my favourites the year it was released, but... I got about halfway and it was uncomfortable and I wasn't feeling the beauty of it. Or I was, but it wasn't the same. I'd prefer to try and remember how gloroious it was the first time.

Code Name Verity:
I'm not sure, but this just wasn't for me... I think it felt similar to a bunch of books I read when I was younger and they've stuck with me strongly, and having... ahm... skimmed the entire book, I feel like I anticipated the ending from those other experiences.

Captn Hook:
Wasn't for me, at all. It didn't seem to even reall focus on the magical side of things- it was just Hook at school, and I wanted more of that.

Frankenstein:
I'm SORRY CHIARA. I just could not get into or through this. But I did try- I did!

I think I went fairly (extremely) well. It felt so nice to just get down so many books, many that'd been on my owned shelf for months or even a year or two! This is something I want to focus on continuing. And of course I need to get to those ones I didn't... get to. BAM.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, such an eclectic mix of books! I'm glad Scarlet ended up finishing better for you - although I totally agree with you on Scarlet and Wolf. I think Cress is so much better too, so I'm excited that you are listening to it now! And it's great that you got in a couple Christie books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I went through my physical tbr and picked out a bunch of things I'd had onshelf for ages or particularly wanted to read- so fun! Cress I'm really enjoying, although I need to get back to listening to it! Maybe tonight!
      YES! So fun. xx

      Delete
  2. You did well! Isn't funny how a grow as a reader? I thought for sure I'll be stuck reading YAs forever. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It is, and I was sad that I liked two favourites less than I had previously, but oh well. I still appreciated them, however differently. I'm wondering when I'll start wanting to read adult lit. One day, I'm sure, although YA and MG suit me really well at the moment. They'll always have a place in my heart. x

      Delete
  3. I read Cinder not long after it was released, but I've been terribly lazy about reading the sequels. And is that Soulless by Gail Carriger that you're listening to? I LOVE her Parasol Protectorate series so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really long experience with finally listening to it and completing it, but since then I've just been like "listen to them all and see what you think" and Cress I'm throughly enjoying. It is Soulless by Gail Carriger! It's so good on audio! xx

      Delete
  4. I've heard so many great things about Rat Queens! Definitely a graphic novel I want to read one day. Magonia is also a book I'm interested in reading eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it for sure, Bec! I imagine you'd enjoy it a lot! I'm so glad I made a point of getting a copy of Magnoia. I was passionate about reading it and I'm happy that I did. I hope you enjoy it, when you read it too! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, you got SO much read on your break!! I don't know what proportion you read out of the books you brought with you, but it looks like it was a considerable proportion better than I end up reading when I do similar breaks.

    Anyways, I hope you plan on doing full reviews for some of these because I'm curious... like with Magonia. That one seems like a total "me" book too. I wonder what exactly about it didn't work for you because I'm sort of on the fence about trying it out now...

    So happy you're maybe coming around to The Lunar Chronicles series! Perhaps you'll like Cress best of all. I swear each book is more and more intense than the last.

    Rat Queens?? I have no idea what that is, I'll have to look it up on GR because I've never heard of it.

    Annndd it's too bad to hear Code Name Verity didn't work for you. I loved it to death, but I know a lot of people share your opinion and just couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get kind of a lot read, didn't I? I think I still had 4 or 5 books that I didn't get to, so it was pretty good!
      Oh I definitely am, I was thinking that I should have included that on this post! Magonia, Rat Queens and Scarlet for sure. I'm sorry you're less excited for Magonia- it is totally intriguing and so unique and original, but it wasn't what I expected. I can definitely see myself doing a reread one day, though. I didn't dislike it.

      Cress is so enjoyable! I'm really loving it. xx

      Delete
  6. I agree about Frankenstein! I usually enjoy the classics but this was one I just didn't like, I finished only to give it a full chance but i was very glad when it was over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sadly I didn't even get through it (although I have little patience with books I don't enjoy...). I had been looking forward to it for quite some time, too, so it's a pity it didn't work too well, but oh well. xx

      Delete
  7. Magonia: oh no! I have heard so many AMAZING things about this novel, I'm sad that you didn't love it as much as you thought you might :( I do want to read it, but I am super hesitant, because I don't usually fall in with the crowd when it comes to beloved books (eep).

    Scarlet: Wolf? Stupid? NOOOOO. I loved him so much when I read Scarlet back in the day. But I'm glad you're liking the series a little more than before!

    Fruits Basket: I told you the anime is only a tiny bit of the manga! I'm super happy you're liking it. It's not one of my absolute favourites, but I really did enjoy reading it when I did. I wonder who you ship with Tohru?

    Fishugi Yugi: TAMAHOMEEEEE!!!!! Is that what you mean by dramatic? HAHA. I read this series when I was in high school. If you do intend on reading it, only read up to the original final volume (which I THINK is 18?)! They continued it, and completely ruined the series in my opinion. There's also a companion series that was written YEARS later called Fishugi Yugi Genbu Kaiden, which I did like - the art was prettier for sure.

    Tiger Lily: I am more than terrified of reading this because SO many people have told me to, and it is so beloved by the blogosphere >.<

    Code Name Verity: I didn't love this quite as much as everyone else, but it was still a book that really stuck with me because of how intense it was!

    Frankenstein: NOOO, ROMI ;( I am glad you tried, though <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the time when I do a reread of Magonia. I think it's one of those stories you'll always take something a little different out of. I do imagine you'd enjoy it quite a bit, it's incredibly original and unique and really beautiful, but... there's always the chance you won't love a book you imagine you'll adore. The risk of reading, I guess.

      Ahhaha, I found the fact I was supposed to then go and forgive him for his awful behaviour frustrating, just because Scarlet trusted him. That's fine, but I don't trust him! And he was annoying me. Ah well. I liked Thorn, though!

      Yes! I have to finish the anime I have out from the library, and then I'm back into watching the anime alongside reading the manga. I love both dearly and I'm so glad I gave it a chance, but WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?!

      Haha, that kind of thing. This was my pick for the month, Chiara, by the way. Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I'm definitely going to keep reading it, so long as I keep enjoying it, though. It was a nice change from my other current reads.

      Oh no! I believe I was one of those people.....
      And poor Frankenstein. I wish I had liked it. x

      Delete
  8. This is Shyness is on my TBR. I was surprised by how much I liked Rat Queens too! (I still need to track down volume 1. Gah, Why does my library have such a small graphic novel section?) I also read and loved the first volume of A Bride's Story!

    I really enjoyed studying Frankenstein at school but I disliked the epistolary bits (Victor's cowardly behaviour annoyed me in his angst/woe ridden letters. I guess angst and drama is the norm in the Gothic literature.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm excited about rereading the sequel, which I had liked less than the first, now, because what will I think?! I hope you read it at some point, Glaiza. It's rather splendid. YAY! Basically, YAY is how I surmise my excitement for A Bride's Story (so glad you tried it! Squee!) and Rat Queens. I expect I have more violence in the second volume, from what you were saying.

      Oh yeah; I wonder what I'd have made of that if I'd have finished it? He was going on a bit, I have to say! xx

      Delete
  9. Dang, you really read a ton! Definitely an awesome accomplish, that's more than I read in two months xD I read Code Name Verity and really disliked it haha. Like you said, I skimmed most of it and found myself pretty bored, much to the chagrin of Bec, who loved it. Like you, I enjoyed the imagination that went into Magonia but I didn't fall in love with it either. Fruits Basket is the best! It's probably one of my favorite series, the FEELS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, I didn't really think of it like that until I saw the pile of books I had read! The ones I didn't get to were mostly big, but I'm so glad I got through even this many, and even if you don't enjoy them it can still be fun to decide whether or not you want to read something.
      Isn't it fantastic! I'm so excited to see how it differs to the anime, which is one of my favourites! xx

      Delete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! Romi, you did a great job while you were "away" on your little holiday! You read so much, ah, felt great, didn't it? Well, I'm really glad you got this nice chance to get away and read so much and that you enjoyed it!

    P.S: Show me your ways, sensei!

    I'm random, I know, sorry not sorry.

    ~L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, thank you so much, Lili! I get super happy when people remind me how well I did. I hardly even thought about it at the time, so it's nice to be reminded. I LIKE TO TRIUMPH. Apparently. So it certainly feels great now!
      It was such a needed break, Lili, and I'm so glad, too.

      I don't even know my ways. And this was an awesome comment. You made me smile, that's all needed. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x