Sunday, July 19, 2015

That time I took my puppy to the seaside. In winter.

I'm back! I return to the world of internet and to do lists and days filled with things to do. I'm a little doleful about it, actually, and am struggling to retain a sense of calm. I'm suddenly getting thoughts about whether I want to keep on blogging, because I've enjoyed getting through masses of books without having to read review books first or focus on the blog (sorry, ol' thing), but I shall strive to sort things out in a way that doesn't mean I leave. I should take a look at the things my week is filled with and maybe lessen my load. It'd be a start. I'm one of those people who puts a lot of stuff on them, 20 things on a days to do list, so having none of that for two weeks- it's hard to pull myself away.

BUT ANYWAY! Lets talk about that time I took my puppy (soon enough she'll grow into the title of "young dog", but not yet- NAY NOT YET) to the beach for a week in winter.
My mother and I ventured into the depths of apparently one of the most beautiful places in the world, and specifically Australia, packing the car and three pets for a two week hiatus from the internet and stresses of daily life. I packed around eighteen books. You know the type of holiday. The horrors when one of the animals starts to get unsettled during a three hour trip. Sacrificing your doona for your books. Your "foods to make" list being mostly comprised of cookies and cakes and sweet things. The lasanga's that never get made. That sort of thing.

Said puppy got into the habit of sitting in front of the gas heater as we turned it on. She knew what was going on.

I had a pretty nice time away, although I only took three pictures, contrary to what I may or may not have said in the comments of my going away farewell all post. We spotted many pods of dolphins, some crusing along the waves like they owned the bay, not to mention a gorgeous seal who seemed perfectly happy to float around and flap it's flippers around in the air as it got each wave like nobody's business. These ocean types school me.
But the best part? Was when I came home. (Well actually about a day after I got home, but I regress.) Which happened to be a week early. You know when you're away and you suddenly long for home and think it out and just realise you're ready with being away, and you'll still be on holiday if you're at home and ensure you make being home a holiday. There's nothing stopping you. So you go home. And that's the best part of your holiday?
That happened and I have NO REGRETS. Especially when my sleep pattern at the moment was only becoming more distressing with every night away.


Stormy beaches are my favourite beaches. Tis a truth.



You may recall I mentioned I was entering an agenting contest whilst I was away. The deadline for hearing back on that has passed and unfortunately I didn't hear back, although I experienced the horrible-yet-wonderful anonymous critiques that editors tweeted and tried to pick my manuscript out via age group and genre. It was thrilling yet, as I say, kind of horrible. In a mostly good way. But it was a lot of fun and I'm so glad I entered and polished my work for it, and now I'm able to get in touch with my critique partners and share my work and I'm really happy about that. And we know what happens then.

TERROR.

So I did want to recap the books I read whilst away, but I don't want this to run on (especially when I have so few pictures!), so I'll put that into an upcoming post.

Romi out. xx
P.S. Kastie loved the beach, by the way. I think. She loved our morning walks along it. Or she loved the puppy milk she knew she would get on return.

20 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Romi! I'm glad that you had a nice holiday. I do know what you mean about longing to be back home when you're away. As much as I like getting away for a bit, I start getting homesick pretty quickly, so I've found that short trips work better for me. I'm looking forward to your post on all the books you read. And your puppy is absolutely adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I get home sick so quickly, I sometimes think it's ridiculous but I guess, much as I sometimes want to get away from it, home is where my heart is- even when I'm with people and animals I love when I'm away.
      Ooh, I'm glad! I just wrote it up!
      ISN'T SHE? I'm shameless in my adoration for how gorgeous she is! xx

      Delete
  2. Ah, I know the feeling of taking a prolonged vacation, having it pass by way too quickly, and then absolutely not being ready to return to real life and blogging again :p But I'm happy to see you back anyways! And I appreciate that you've shared some photos of your vacay here. Your version of winter is so different from a Canadian's version of winter that it's funny. I would love to have beaches like this to frolic about on in the winter! But, as you say, there's nothing like home and it's always good to come back after some time away. And ohhh cutie Kasta!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone. I mean, I never felt like this after the two month breaks- maybe two months is what I always need! I can't believe I only took three, it's ridiculous. But I knew I had to take SOME, even if only three. I have to live up to my comments! Isn't it? No snow here, and I mean a beach at winter? Not many people must think of doing that. It was such lovely weather, though- not always stormy, although I did love those days.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Yay! Great to see you back, Romi. And you just hush with your talks about quitting. Hmmph. I do understand though. Isn't it nice to just keep working on your TBR pile without the stress of reviewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such fun perusing your posts, Joy! You've been busy!
      Aw, thanks. That actually gave me a boost, Joy. I feel really torn about spending a full working day doing blogging things and not having/making time to study or read or write. I feel like I need to reorganise it. xx

      Delete
  4. Young aDOGult you mean? Aha, I couldn't resist. Kastie is adorable! I completely forgot it was winter is AUS. So cool that you got to see some dolphins and a seal, I love seals so much. Anyways, welcome back! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH ALISE. That is epic and hilairous and I do not blame you at all for that.
      Thank you! It's a pretty difficult-to-see picture, but she truly is. I am shameless when it comes to her.
      It was such a joyous seal, too, just flippin around like it owned the waves and all that.
      THANK YOU! xx

      Delete
  5. YOUR PUPPY IS SO CUTE. I refuse to call my puppy an adult dog, *shudders* just nope. He is like 8 months but STILL MY BABY. I'm glad you had a good time away!! Tbh, my favourite part about going away is coming home. xD I really don't much like holidays, weirdly, but I do love the beach and those stormy/misty photos were gorgeous. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Cait! She certainly is adorable. I am unable to disagree! ( :
      I know, I totally have that problem, too. Kasta's eight months, too, and I'm starting to wonder- young dog? Nup. Puppy. PUPPY FOREVER. Even when she's a massive rolicking beast. *laughs*
      Oh, thank you! I'm really glad to hear that. There are definitely aspects about going away I like, but... home is somewhere I always miss. xx

      Delete
  6. Stormy seas are beautiful. I'm glad you (and the puppy) had a good break. I'd probably go crazy if I reviewed everything I read too. I need to focus on getting back into writing so I'll probably space out my book review posts even more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I'd take a stormy sea over a sunny one any day. Our older dog, though, she hates storms, poor thing. She got a little freaked out.
      Well that is totally exciting to hear, and I think that's a good idea. It's nice to focus on something you think is important, but not totally or necessarily give up other things that are of importance to you. xx

      Delete
  7. Your dog is so cute! And I love the beach! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it when it's a stormy whirlwind. xx

      Delete
  8. It's so good to have you back Romi! I hope you won't give up blogging, I think reevaluating your schedule and the time you devote to it, will definitely help and maybe reinvigorate your interest! It's wonderful to get away sometimes though, and your break sounded awesome! Especially the reading part with no thought to review LOL It is a bit stressful sometimes when I realize I haven't written a review yet for a book I finished a week or so ago. :)

    You took some great pictures from your trip too - doggies and ocean views are always fun to look at. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, thank you, Charlene. I would hate to miss out on this amazing community that I love so much, but I also don't want to do it just to do it, if you get that- I want to keep going because I'm passionate. Reviewing can definitely be stressful, but I love expanding my reading because of it, too.

      Thanks! I can generally get away with a puppy shot. *nods and laughs*

      Delete
  9. You can call your puppy a puppy forever. I still call my eight year old cat a kitten, and a baby, so there you go!

    I definitely understand the love of reading without any pressures of dates or reviews. I haven't had that in a while, and lately I have been finding myself missing it! BUT YOU CANNOT STOP BLOGGING. NO WAY. GET YOUR MOJO BACK, ROMI <3

    I always want to come home after, like, a day away from home, baha! I am such a homebody that any time away from it feels like an age. So YAY for being back at home. :D

    It's a shame about the agent comp, but I'm glad you still feel like you got something out of it! That's super important, anyway. And there will always be a next time, I promise <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember that. Already I'm fearing the day when she must become "young dog", so I suppose as long as I'm happy with it, and she isn't evil-eyeing me, I can call her my gorgeous puppy.

      AAW. With capitals, I note. You are splendid, Chiara. Splendid in a nutshell. Thank you so much for saying that. xx

      I KNOW! I want to go to Hobart but WHAT DO I DO WITH MY PUPPY?! I fear she'd be terribly upset if I were to go and leave her in boarding. *cries*

      Yeah, I think that's definitely the main thing. I was like "I'll just do another quick read through and then get in touch with people for critiqueing". It's turned into another FULL OUT EDIT. WHAT.

      Delete
  10. Those photos are beautiful, Romi! It didn't look winter like at all. ;) I loved your line about reviewing. It gets stressful at times. It's good that you took a break because you cannot stop blogging. I won't allow it. ;)

    -Jordan

    Ps. Puppy milk? You are much nicer than me! My fur babies get water and dry dog food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW, thank you! Haha, well there were a few really lovely warm days. And then the storm came. It was pretty beautiful, really. I'll keep that in mind, for sure, Jordan. Your support means a lot, though. xx

      Oh, she would send me to coventry if I stopped giving it to her! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x