Saturday, August 29, 2015

From me to you and back again -5-

-This is where I talk about something. Something that comes to mind and sticks there and I want to describe so that it sticks in other peoples minds and makes them think, because that is what this is about. I want to be thinking. I want to be lit up and even alight. And I want you to leave this post with the memory of the thoughts it made you have.-

Something that is really important to me is my writing. I adore books, I adore creating my own worlds that one day might be printed on pages for others to read. I love meeting characters who are distinct and take on real life in my mind. I have a post coming up, inspired by Cait's, about my editing process, which is an intrinsic part of that process and one that develops my worlds, passion and abilities all the more.
But, as is the way, some of my stories aren't ones I feel the desire to have printed, published, shared with the world in book form. I'm still passionate about them, but they aren't my focus as some of my others are. Yet I still want to share them- I still care about them and that doesn't change, even if I know where I want them to end.

In a roundabout way this leads me to pen names. I'll explain before headaches come on.

I have this novel, maybe two. I really, really like it/them, but... the first sentence applies very strongly to it. So, once I've finished editing my current WIP and sent it off to readers, I'm going to start editing one of them. And I'm going to put it on Wattpad.
I want to share it.
Only, recently I've decided that I'm not going to use my given name as the name I'm published by, and that applies to both physical copy publishing and internet publishing. That name, however, is on the internet, linked with this blog. I haven't spoken to anyone of what my actual pen name is going to be, although I know, and my qualm is this:

How do I share this Wattpad experience on my blog, a blog started, written and dedicated to sharing my love for words, others and my own, when I want to have a pen name that is separate from the one I was born with. There are quite a few reasons as to why a pen name is my solid choice, but suffice to say I'm unsure how far to take it- do I never link my blog again with my writing experience? Do I desperately try to hide my real name from readers of pen-named works? Or do I announce that I work under a pen name. Do I let readers of both works join and become one like it's some fantastical musical number?

That's my question today. Or... those are my questions. What are your thoughts?

Romi.x

10 comments:

  1. I think it all depends on WHY you want to use a pen name. What are you going to gain from it? What is your reason for using it? If it's something along the lines of keeping your works hidden from your personal life, or people who may find you through your birth name ... then keeping it all separate might be the only way to go.

    But if it's for a different reason, and one that doesn't have much to do with personal things, or people finding you or whatnot, then you might be able to link both your blog and your writing endeavours linked (but then the question comes in again of WHY the pen name, if you're going to be known by both in the writing/blogging world anyway).

    I think using a pen name, and linking your blog to your writing endeavours is a really personal decision, and ultimately, it's what's best for you, and what you feel most comfortable with <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point, and probably the main point where I'm struggling at. Mixing my blog and writing brings up the discussion of writing and reviewing, and I do want to be able to honestly review books, good or bad, and being a published writer that might be difficult. Being on a panel with someone whose work you didn't enjoy and reviewed thus? Awkward, for sure. Also a few things going on in my personal life.

      Thanks so much for your thoughts, Chiara! You're always awesome with the ideas and opinions. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's a tricky question for sure! I guess if you really don't want anyone to know your real name, then there's no other solution but to keep them separated. If you don't really mind someone finding out your real name and you have a pen name for reasons other than separating your private identity from your writing, then you might be able to link back. I guess it's really something only you could decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point (hiding my name isn't really what I'm considering, though), only thing is it's the internet. Things don't really stay hidden very well for very long, so it's likely that wouldn't be failsafe.
      Thanks for your suggestions and pointers, Vlora! xx

      Delete
  3. Agh, yes, this is a tricky thing. I've tossed up wanting a pen name. Mostly to separate my blogging self from writing self becauuuuuse I would liek to KEEP blogging and I'm not sure if I'll be able to review books like I do if i get published (although since I'm not right now I'm not worrying about it too much. :P) BUT THEN. I want to be able to promote and sell my work through my blog....so I will always stick with my name. *nods*

    But it does depend on why you want a pen name, I guess!! If you want to keep yourself completely separate then I guess you won't be able to link them.

    Omg, I'm excited about your editing post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's a big part of the reason. I'd like to keep blogging, too, but what lengths can you go to. It's tricky and I'm still working out how I feel about it, which I'll probably still be working out in years to come. It all evolves, I guess.
      I'm glad you've thought about this, too, Cait, and have come to a conclusion you're happy with.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Gah, that is so exciting, Romi!! Look at you with all your projects on the go!! So cool. And as for the pen name, that's a good question - and I think the previous commenters said it best ^^ It depends why you want a pen name and if you want to keep yourself truly separate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAH! You make me blush, Aylee. Thank you! xx
      It's a lot easier to take into consideration when I line up what I really want from a pen name and why I want it, ect. rather than not really knowing what the particulars of my needs and wants were. xx

      Delete
  5. As with all life choices decide what the motivations are and then the eventual results of such choices. Pros and cons etc. Without catastrophising. Cos that's what I do :D

    I wouldn't suggest that you fear backlash from people just because you say you don't like a book. You are never nasty or hurtful in your opinions, a goal everyone should aim for, and authors should/will respect that. Book reviews are never objective anyway, they are based entirely on personal feelings and are completely at the mercy of what mood the reader is in at the time.

    But people that follow your blog and like reading your thoughts may very well like to see your own work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your opinion on this, Lauren! Pros and Cons is a good way of looking at it- BUT WHAT SIDE DO I TAKE? I seriously am still a little perplexed about this, especially when some recent decisions of mine change things a little. /:
      I guess I understand that, sure, but at the same time- what if my review upset an author who I was then on a panel with. Just because I'm reviewing honestly doesn't mean that it wouldn't be uncomfortable. And it's easy to see how words get twisted on the internet.
      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x