Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A feature of pictures (and books!) 12.

Interesting, surprising and incredibly hilarious and cute books this time. A new all time favourite, one that I only realised it's hidden truth after finishing it.

The Day the Crayons Came Home- Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers.

I have an intense love for the first "Crayons" book, and hearing there was a second got me royally excited. And I mean, the cover. It's glory to behold.

And was I disappointed? Could the Crayons win me over a seocnd time? Would it be as good?

Hells. Yeah.
Each of these crayons has colour, personality, originality. They all feel unique and their stories are hilarious and striking. The neon red crayon, left at the pool when on holiday, journeying to get back home; the glow in the dark (!!!!) crayon, left in the basement; the orange and yellow, melted together; Esteban the Magnificent (pea green) leaving home for something better. It's brilliant, full of humor and something age doesn't allow you to outgrow.

It's got a sodding glow in the dark crayon and page. I mean come on. Nothing is better.


Thank you to Harper Collins for this review copy!
Image source: Harper Collins.


Thank you to Penguin Books for this review copy!
Image source: Penguin Books.


Suri's Wall- Lucy Estela and Matt Ottley.
I knew very little about Suri's Wall before I requested it (a risk I take a little more easily with picture books), and when I started reading I felt my lack of knowledge intently. I didn't have an ounce of understanding as to what was going on.
Now, ask me what I'd anticipated and I couldn't tell you. Ask me what I got and halfway through I still wouldn't have known- it's a peculiar story, the art feels like it's very computer-game cgi-esq, and the story was perplexing.

Not until the end did I realise the full power of what I'd just read, the story of magnificent things seen over a wall amd the choice we have between protecting, when they turn into nightmares, even if it's for just a little while longer, rather than sharing the horrors that are coming nearer.
I liked the power of it, afterwards, even if I didn't feel it until the last page was turned, even if I felt like many elements of the story were too vague to understand until the very end.

12 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. I'm glad you're leaving no books unread, Romi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not really into adult or heavy romance at this stage, but YA, MG and Picture books are all fodder for my reading, certainly!

      Delete
  2. THE CRAYON BOOK LOOKS ADORABLE. I mean, that cover alone *screams* cuteness, and I kind of want to read it XD

    The second one sounds like it has a bit more depth to it, which I love to find in picture books.

    I feel sad that I don't read picture books as often as I should. I think the last one I read was one my mum bought me for my birthday, and before that, some she bought me for Christmas. I think she's trying to nudge me into reading them again. They can be so special, and the art is breathtaking sometimes.

    I'm glad you liked these two, lovely <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS. The cover is nothing compared to what's inside. It is literally one of my all time favourites. YOU SHOULD READ IT. It'd make you snort with your amusement.

      Perhaps more depth, but rather confusing, too.

      Uh-huh. It's so nice to find a couple that are completely magical and make you search for more of that magic. And the fact your mother's buying you them as gifts? That is awesome and so sweet.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It's awesome that you give these books equal chance and feature them onto your blog, Romi! I would never have known them otherwise because my literary sense is limited to YA and Adult crossovers right now. Haha. Would love to try The Suri's Wall though! Peculiar stories are so my thing.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a real soft spot for MG and picture books. They built up my love for reading and I still find such amazing stories between their covers- so why stop reading them? It's a lot of fun! Aaw, I hope you do try it, then. xx

      Delete
  4. I love how you feature PB! Crayons looks like a fabulously adorable and funny book, and the drawings are perfect. Suri's Wall looks like a beautiful story with beautiful layers of meanings.

    Thanks for commenting on The Devil Orders Takeout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's interesting for me, too, because I've never seen another blogger do it. Although my reasoning? It's just because I love them so much!
      Aah, it's one of the best. Seriously hilarious. And Suri's Wall, although it didn't work out the best for me, was really interesting and complex. xx

      Delete
  5. Suri's Wall piqued my interest with it's appearance of depth and maturity but The Day the Crayons Came Home looks downright delightful! Great post!

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an interesting book, and an interesting + important topic. It's good these things are being addressed and made available for children who need them. And anyone who reads these books, too!
      The Crayon books are awesome. xx

      Delete
  6. I know I am someone who really doesn't like reading MG but for some reason I can handle picture books quite well actually. And I actually love the sound of Suri's Wall... about how powerful the story really is once you've finished it. The crayon one sounds fun as well ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think picture books are universal. They can be accessed and loved on many levels, by many people. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x