Monday, September 28, 2015

Cress by Marissa Meyer.

Publish date- 2014.
Publisher- Macmillan Young Listeners.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
The third book in the Lunar Chronicles, extending the stories of all those we've already met (Cinder, Scarlet, ect. ect. ect.) and telling the story afresh of Rapunzel with the gloriousness of Cress. Oh. And Thorn. 

What I thought:
So... Cress. I am very nearly up to date with the Lunar Chronicles and, after a less than exciting time with Cinder and Scarlet, Cress finally had me in, all the way.
It’s not that it didn’t have it’s faults- it did- but they were few and far between and, really, tended to add to the story’s whimsicality.

Cress is the newest, although we’ve met her twice before, in our ever growing array of POV characters- Cinder, Kai, Cress, Levana, Scarlet, Dr. Arelond (?), Thorn- it’s a lot to get ahold of, which is when it is especially good to be listening via audio. Cress I liked, a lot. She is that bit realer than the other title ladies, anxiety ridden and passionate. Apart from her slightly- and frankly- worrying infatuation with Thorn, who she’d never met, a point that had many an eye roll and widen cast in it’s direction, she was kind of like me. I loved that we got to see her fight, got to see how deep and extensive her strength was, beyond her fear. And she and Thorn, once her infatuation took a quiet and mostly ignorable backseat, were SO CUTE together! They’d have to be my favourite characters and carried the story, for their part, so well. Their scenes were just kinda really excellent. Third favourite is officially Icho, who shines (and gets her own POV, briefly). She’s quirky, excitable, perfectly passionate, the voice of the reader when it comes to many a romantic scene, and there for Cinder and the crew staunchly.

Cinder, Scarlet, Wolf and Kai still do little for me- Kai’s stupidity continues to astonish me, Cinder’s choices are... bizarre, and Wolf’s level of love for scarlet, having known her for a week or two, and ineptitude when she wasn’t around, gives me squinty eyes.
However, in their way they do help carry the story forward and I will admit that a certain scene between two characters was kind of gorgeous and adorable. And cemented my Icho love.


Overall, the plot is speeding forwards and still craftily building itself. I’m excited to see where Cress and Thorn go next, meet Winter better, hopefully see Levana offed and see less assy-ness from Kai (because really, anyone else consider what his choices and actions were going to be if she hadn’t been the princess?). I’m into this story, now. It took me two books, but into the third I officially started having favourite characters and caring what happens to them. And, you know, Cinder’s plight and all that. But mostly Cress and Thornnnnn!

Rating: Excellent. It's verging. It's verging.
Upwards pointing. Pointing pointing pointing.

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I really thought you would be cutting ties with this series after Scarlet. And considering Scarlet was - imo - the best of the bunch, I was sure you were done. But, yay!!! So glad you'll be waiting along with us of the next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not quite sure why I kept going after Cinder, because I didn't like it much at all, and Scarlet... it was the ending that made me go onto Cress, really, although the rest of it was not so great at all. Yes! I'm excited to see how it all ends. xx

      Delete
  2. It took you three books??? I can't get enough of this series. So next up you get to read Fairest. Fairest is really short to me, I so wish it was longer. But it was meant to be a short story so I should be happy it was as long as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! BUT I'M THERE NOW! *Yells in delight* I'm a little sad that it took that long, because what if Winter goes backwards? But so long as it has Cress and Thorn, I'll at least enjoy those parts. I've actually done Fairest already, although no review written yet. (It was so creepy!)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Yay Cress!! I definitely thought things improved dramatically with the series with the third book, so I understand why you are more into the story now. I so identified with Cress fangirling Thorn, so I understood her infatuation with him. I'm glad it blossomed into a real relationship though! I still haven't gotten to Fairest, but I hope to soon, now that Winter is coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I though the ending of Scarlet was a pretty big step up, but then Cress took that step up those inches (which... were big inches. I don't even know what I'm saying now, Charlene) further and made BRILLIANCE. Well, has it blossomed into a real relationship, though- they're still really hesitant and unsure. Let's hope!
      Hope you enjoy Fairest! It was pretty creepy, but... yeah. It was just pretty creepy, for me

      Delete
  4. Yay I am glad it has sucked you into the series! Everyone does seem to love Cress the most, but I read this during a read-a-thon and was feeling a bit burnt out by the time I got to it maybe? I just found it to be a bit too predictable for my liking. I didn't love all of Scarlet but it was still my fave book xD Oh, and I just love Wolf's character in this one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you an email or a message through your contact me page! Let me know when you receive it :)

      Delete
    2. I can understand that! If I went through them all in a row, I don't think I'd have managed to get to Cress. But could be it was predictable for you- I didn't really find it to be, I don't think- moments, though, sure. For me, Cinder was the real predictable one, and Scarlet in sections, too. Basically, Cinder and Kai's relationship is all kinds of predictable.
      Hmm, Wolf isn't for me. People do seem to love him, though!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Cress is definitely my favorite in this series! Like, her innocent nature was just so adorable and so endearing, and Thorne was so effortlessly funny that he easily reminded me of Flynn from Tangled. Haha! I can't wait to know your thoughts of Fairest~ :P

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she great? Aah, I really loved her (sans obsession with Thorn, which was not to my liking). That's such a good comparison! Thorn is SO like Flynn- interesting, actually, since he's the Flynn character to Cress's Rapunzel. Maybe he's meant to be like that?
      I still have to write my review of Fairest, but it is coming! xx

      Delete
  6. I love this series and I'm glad Cress managed to pull you in so well! Cress is such a precious character. And Thorn is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cress and Thorn. I don't think I really needed to say much more in my review. They're the best in the series by far, for me. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, gosh. YOU TOO, ROMI. Everyone loves this book the most out of this series, and I still haven't read it *hides* I do have a copy, though, if that means anything (not really, because I own several hundred books that I have yet to read).

    I actually cannot wait to have more Thorne on page, because he wasn't a HUGE character in Scarlet, so I am keen to know more about him :D And I have heard numerous things about how cute he and Cress are together (I do so love me a good romance).

    Maybe I should just hold old until Winter is available, so I can binge read the end of the series without having to wait and forget anything :D (She says as a complete and utter excuse.)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! For me, comment wise, it seems to be Scarlet that everyone loves the most. Ahh... nup. Having a copy doesn't really mean anything, Chiara- not if you haven't read it yet. *stern look*

      Thorn is... better than ever. So much better than in Scarlet, and he's present for at least half of this, I'd say, and he just rules the pages. He and Cress are sweet as anything.

      I was going to say- NO EXCUSES. So long as you read it at some point, though, I suppose it's okay. xx

      Delete
  8. It's great to see that you loved Cress! I got attached to her the most too and Thorne as well. Iko is so precious too :"D I didn't expect the plot to be so fast-paced either, especially considering that it's such a huge book but that gives me hope for the last book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I wonder if there's a band of people who adore Cress and Thorn to pieces? Icho would run it, for sure. She's like the biggest fangirl of ever. And obviously I don't know how to spell most of their names, having listened to them on audio! When I first saw how Jason/Jacin was spelt, I had no idea who they were talking about.
      Yes! I'm hoping Winter is really awesome. But having disliked more of the series than I liked, I'm a little concerned how I'll go with it!

      Delete
  9. So good, right? xD It seems like this series just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to see what Winter is like - if the first 3 books are any indication, it's sure to be absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! I enjoyed it so much. I'm excited/scared for Winter, because I'm starting to get this feeling of "what if I don't like it", especially since I didn't like the first 2 books much at all, and Fairest and I didn't get along too swell. Aah well, I'll have to wait and see! xx

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you are still enjoying this series! I was iffy about Cinder and began to really like the series after Scarlet so I'm excited for this one. Cress sounds so much more... real than the other characters and I think I would be able to relate to her well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Cress is kinda the beginning of my enjoyment with the series, but hey! I'm there now! She is, I think. She has such an honest character and ahh. She's fantastic. I hope you love Cress, Alise! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x