Thursday, September 24, 2015

Mini Reviews (14)

Mini Reviews



KidGlovz- Julie Hunt and Dale Newman.
Kid Glovz is a story told through art just as strongly as words. I adore art in books so this kind of story always has an immediate grasp on my attention. I see so few of them that I always get incredibly excited- they're not quite graphic novels, nor comics and certainly not manga. Like Hugo Cabret, this is in a genre of it's own. Only thing is, Hugo Cabret, and after that Wonderstruck, were more, even, than they first appeared, and Kid Glovz was, unfortunately, not.

I quite enjoyed the story, the fantastical elements- it's set in a fictional universe, kind of, but one that's familiar?- but it felt under developed. Random, even, with the briskness and leaping of the pace, sequencing of events. The characters got little background or development and the whole comprehension of how it all came to be, how Kid Glovz became such a famous piano player, where he came from before he was found in a forest all alone, it was hazy, even when I'd turned the final page. I wasn't won over by the art, either, which could be beautiful at times but had an unfinished, hasty feeling to it.


Thank you to Allen and Unwin for these review copies!
Image source: Allen and Unwin.

Image source: Allen and Unwin.
The Imaginary- A. F. Harrold.
The Imaginary tells the story of Rudger, the imagined friend of Amanda (we think, to begin with, that it's her story), and I smiled at the description early on that only the most creative people are able to create imaginary friends.
Because I had two.
So obviously the discussion is one very close to my heart and I was all for this story. Imaginary friends formed a safe, happy time in my life, so I imagined this would be all whimsy and delightful imaginings. Safety.
Niceness.

I very nearly DNF'ed. It was dark, scary, even violent. Someone gets their finger bitten off (imaginary to imaginary, but it was a proper finger), people get swallowed, hit by cars- it was a no-holds-back kind of story and felt like horror for children. I was, at times, supremely uncomfortable. I don't like scary things! The MG book freaked me! But seriously. From the cover? You don't expect it. I did not expect it.
Amanda, too, was fairly-kinda-really unlikable. I like to remember treating my darling imaginaries far better.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Judging from the cover I would have def. picked up the second book. Now I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a beautiful cover! I was half in it for the illustrations, Sonia, but... sadly I felt like the cover was the most standout one. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm out of my element with these books, unfortunately. But I'm glad you enjoyed them (relatively).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well we all have our preferred genres, Joy! And I'd say relatively is a good word, here. Some good, some bad.

      Delete
  3. Picture books are a medium I don't explore often, but both of these sound quite interesting. Especially The Imaginary -- the fake-out merry start and subsequent horror is quite a fantastic (if terrifying) plot twist, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a favourite of mine! I love having a story told in such a short amount of time. It's really wonderful, what ca be accomplished. Hmm... you might enjoy The Imaginary quite a lot. It's definitely an interesting one to discuss, that's for sure. I'd be completely interested to read your thoughts. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x