Friday, October 23, 2015

As Black as Ebony by Salla Simukka.

Publish date- September 2015.
Publisher- Hot Key Books.
RRP- $16.95 (AUD)


Read my review for books 1 and 2!

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
The third and final book in the Lumikki Andersson trilogy, Lumikki is out to find out the truth. But, with a stalker on her trail- and a stalker who seems to know more about her than even she does- Lumikki might not get out alive, this time.

Thank you to Hot Key Books for this review copy!
Image Source: Five Mile Press.



What I thought:
Obsession. Obsession. Obsession. Obsession.
Every Hot Key Books title has a list of "ingredients", four elements that sum up the parts of the story in your hands, and when I saw the back cover of As Black as Ebony I wondered if it was a misprint, since I saw four parts obsession.
Nup. That's how intense it was.

As Black As Ebony is the final book in the YA Finnish crime series that retells, subtly, Snow White, and it is full of obsession. And for me, it won me back aster a less than overwhelming second book. Here Lumikki is back with all her questions and tragedy, the horrors of her recent past mere blips, really, in her life- here she is focusing on the longer ago tragedy, the half remembered memory of a sister that her time in Prague helped to resurface.

Being back with Lumikki for one last book reminded me fiercely of why and how I loved her. Lumikki is a faintly broken character, a haunted, shadowy person who hardly seems to exist- she is ethereal and faint and at times she seems to live more inside her head than the real world. And I can't seem to hep but love characters like that, be they darker- like Lumikki- or lighter- like Luna Lovegood. However told, they present some of the very best stories.

There's a stalker after Lumikki in this book, someone who knows more of her past than she herself, and someone who is watching her every moment. It was unsettling, reading their letters, textx and POV, seeing the way they affected Lumikki's stability and were just always there. We also get confusion and fear and new emotion as Lumikki finds happiness in a new relationship, and even get to meet Blaze, the transgendered boy who might be her one true love, the one who broke her heart. I couldn't like him, not with his posessive behaviour and intent belief that no one else could love or be with Lumikki, but it was interesting to meet him.

Rating: Excellent.
Pretty creepy, but also gorgeous and irresistable, and a fairly beautiful ending to a series and characters I adore. I'm so proud of her and her choices.

8 comments:

  1. I love your description of Lumikki. *Nods for more characters who live in between places/realities like Luna.* I'll track down a copy of the first book at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, thank you! She's really special to me and I'm so glad you're going to give this one a go, Glaiza! xx

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this series before, but after the second book in the series being a kind of dip in comparison to the first, I am glad this final book was back up to par and reminded you of why you loved this series and main character to begin with. It certainly does sound intense with all that obsession going on - especially with a stalker on the case as well. That just has me intrigued with how it handles that and how it all ends up. I am going to have to check out the first book in the series now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely agree. I'm so glad it ended up working out as awesome as ever in the last book! Ah, this one is SO intense. It's really wonderful and I, who don't like creepy things, enjoyed it so much. Yes! I'm very happy to hear you'll be checking out this series. Fantastic! xx

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard of this series before, Romi. it might be an Aussie thing, yeah? It would take a lot got get me on board with fairly tale retellings, but this one sounds like the author did her best to give it her own spin, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it's actually a massive series in Finland, where it was first published. Hot Key Books branches in the UK and AUS (not sure where else) translated and published it, but... I haven't seen more than one other review of it thatw as Australian. Oh, this is such a great series. I think you could actually really like it, although possibly not Lumikki. She's not so easy to fall for. It's terribly unique. xx

      Delete
  4. Omgosh, is the third book of this series out already?! I remember when I won a copy of the first book from your giveaway...and I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't gotten around to it :(

    This series still sounds like an amazing read, and it's Finnish! And there's mentions of Prague - one of my favourite cities in the world. Definitely sold. I need to read this asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I think they published all three over a little over two years, though- it seems they've come out super fast! Maybe it's just me... Aah! Really? Oh no. You should, definitely, sometime soon. It's truly awesome.

      Yay! I'm happy to hear that! It's... so magnificent. I genuinely think you'll enjoy it a lot. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x