Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mini Reviews (16)

Ink and Bone- Rachel Caine.
Not all people can ever love one book, and in a smaller community like that of us book bloggers the same is certainly to be said. And I suppose it hadn't been my turn for a while.

While, from what I've seen, the vast majority of reviews for Ink and Bone have been beyond highly praising, my own thoughts were thick and congested and I only got about 86-87 pages through before realising a DNF was the only way for me to go forward.

Unfortunately, I simply could not get into the story. The world, whilst interesting, was stiff and unyielding to my mind, and I found it impossible to become interested in it. And whilst the characters did seem nicely diverse, they were just as hard to find an entry point with. I kept trying, beyon the point where it was difficult, but no win. The idea is incredibly interesting and clearly it is a story many adore just, sadly, not me.

Thank you to Faber and Factory/A&U for this review copy!
Image source: Murdoch Books.

Thank you to Macmillan for this review copy!
Image source: Pan Macmillan.



Carry On- Rainbow Rowell.
I'm undecided, but it seems I should probably stop pushing Rainbow Rowell books into my face. I've tried the majority of them, E&P being the only I finished. It was a great success- until the end- and I just tend, it seems, to not be enthused like others. Carry On is another sad case of this point. I'd been unsuccessful with Fangirl but was planning on trying it again, so I thought I'd try Carry On as a lead in. Also, it sounded fairly fantastic. In the almost third that I read, though, I wasn't enthused, captivated or won over. Rather, I felt like I was reading something I recognised that didn't have enough of a spin on it to make me really interested. As far as I could tell, Simon Snow is fairly well a reimagining of Harry Potter. It's still set in the UK (although it didn't feel naturally British), but the wizarding world is a little different, especially with it's ruling. But unless there is some major distinctive change to the plot, then it's not enough for me to want to spend hours reading 522 pages about someone whose story I already know and love and would chose to reread in it's original form. And Simon was really annoying, besides.

Clearly there are distinctive changes- the characters aren't exact replicas and as far as I'm aware there's some romance between the Harry and Draco characters (unless that's just the fanfic?), there is swearing and multiple, interiguing POVS- it is diffierent. But it isn't different enough, not for me. And there was something in the telling that just... wasn't for me, either. I'm all for Harry and Draco in a relationship, but Carry On isn't the way I'm going to get there.

I DNFd at 114.

14 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same about Ink and Bone Romi. I thought it was really dry and pretentious. I only made it to the 80 page mark as well and that was only because of the hype that surrounded it. I was waiting for that AH HA type moment. But it never came. Fangirl was another one that I didn't enjoy. I just don't see the bog appeal of Rainbow Rowell. She's a great writer, but there just seem to be so many more original YA / NA contemporary authors out there that I don't really understand the hype sadly. E & P is the only one I enjoyed too.

    I think we're both in the minority here and clearly need to start up our own gang.
    This calls for matching jackets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I guess we're fairly similar in some of our reading tastes, then? It is kinda nice not to be alone, though, I have to say! I'm thinking overall, Rainbow Rowell mightn't be for me, either. Her writing IS gorgeous, but it doesn't captivate me as much as I need books to captivate me.

      MATCHING JACKETS. I'm in. xx

      Delete
  2. Aw, I'm sad about Ink and Bone! I loved that one! Although...I did find the writing really heavy and dense to get through, which was mildly exhausting. BUT I LOVED THE PREMISE. Evil libraries.<3
    And while I absolutely adored Fangirl, I'm nervous about Carry On because I actually skipped all the fanfic parts in Fangirl. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, okay- I guess I couldn't get into the story arc and characters, but the heaviness might've been something that just went with the book, and either you liked it or didn't. EVIL LIBRARIES. So neat.
      Really?! Ah, well maybe it's not for you then...? Probably not, if you skipped those particular parts! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh boo. I just wrote a 5-star review for Carry On. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like these two books. It's super brave of you to put that out here though because it seems like most of the blookunity like these! Ink and Bone does have such a gorgeous cover though ... #easilytempted

    I actually haven't touched a single Rainbow Rowell book -- not really a fan of contemporary, to be honest, and none of them yank me in through sheer weight of premise, which is how I get into most unfamiliar genres. I don't know -- I might try one sometime, but probably won't start with Carry On!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ink and Bone is super pretty, especially in it's international covers. AAh, thank you, though!

      No, I'm not a big fan of contemporary, either. It tends to leave me wanting and I don't go into books to feel like that. I always feel like I should keep trying, both with her books and the genre, but maybe I should tend towards not doing that anymore... xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVED Fangirl, but I was hesitant about reading Carry On. I love fan fiction and especially the kind Rowell is referencing, but I didn't really see the point of Carry On. Then I read some articles that seemed like it might be interesting and somehow got excited for it, so I bought it. I'm about halfway through now, and it's slightly frustrating. It's not exactly fanfiction, but it's also not NOT like HP fanfiction and also NOTHING IS FREAKING HAPPENING ARGH. Ahem. I will keep reading and decide whether I liked it or not in my review once I'm done. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-huh. Well I hadn't gotten through (or really properly tried) Fangirl, so I was in the dark but from what I'd heard through reviews. I had high hopes, though- even though I didn't like the ending, E&P was still beautiful. But it's sounding like this isn't working for you, either? Darn! I'll keep an eye out for your review. xx

      Delete
  6. I've had an odd relationship with Rainbow Rowell's books, the only one I really liked was Fangirl and I was interested in Carry On but for some reason I have a feeling I would DNF it as well. Too bad about Ink and Bone though, I just got that one from the library haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, okay- I'm actually getting a similar response in the comments, which is so interesting! I thought almost everyone loved her work! I'm NOT ALONE! Aah, I hope you have a slightly better experience with them both, especially Ink and Bone since you've got it out now! xx

      Delete
  7. Hm, when it comes to Ink and Bone, you definitely aren't the only person who hasn't liked that one. In fact, I think I have seen an equal amount of dislike and DNF reviews for it as much as I have seen praising ones. The theme and the premise intrigue me, but I am not too sure about picking this one up for myself. I am going to have to see about that. I haven't tried a Rainbow Rowell book before, but it's a shame you haven't been able to like them like a lot of people do. That's how I feel about John Green. I don't love them but I wish I could, and it's just a shame... which means I probably shouldn't try Paper Towns but I feel like giving his writing one last chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that, since posting this review! It did seem like I was the only one- at least in the reviews I'd seen. It's nice, in a way, to know others had issues too and I'm not the only one missing out in what everyone says is an all time favourite! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x