Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A feature of pictures (and books!) 13.

My love for picture books is... intense, I'd say. And this time I'm reviewing three and they're all with elements of the astonishing to them. The art, particularly, is ace in two.

Can a Skeleton Have an X-Ray?- Kyle Hughes-Odgers.
When I hear of some books, I know right away that I want to read them, discover what magic, whimsy and reignation of imagination there is to be discovered within the pages. This applies across all ages and genres, just as my discernment abilities can be more perplexed with books across all mediums. I think this was a book that was close to see-want, although I stopped, too, for a few moments. What was it really going to be about? What was it really going to be like? A synopsis says only so much, and this one says... less.
I went forward, however, and was met with... beauty, wonder, questions I hadn't even considered. Basically, each page asks a question, questions of those particularly inquisitive ones, and it answers that question with an illustration. And those illustrations were fine. They were peculiar and distinctive and gave this completely unique feeling to the book, although I had qualms that some didn't seem to actually answer the question. Sometimes the illustration came across as being more important than the question, and in that it forgot to depict the answer. They were utterly gorgeous, though, so I don't really care.
Thank you to Fremantle Press for this review copy!
Image source: Fremantle Press.

Imaginary Fred- Eoin Colfer and Oliver Jeffers.
Okay, so Imaginary Fred seems like a bit of a picture book dream- Jeffers (Crayons!) and Colfer (Fowl!)? A match for all the senses. I did, however, feel a niggle of doubt when I read the first page. A happy introvert, being alone makes up some of my happiest time. And being alone was out of the question not good, here.
After that, however, it went on pretty well- Imaginary friends want a single, true, best friend!- and I do love reading about imaginary friends, only... it felt fairly average. The pictures didn't stun me, there wasn't a particular lyrical note to the text, and the plot... it didn't give me enough. The ending I liked a lot, however overall I expected grand and was presented with good.

Thank you to Harper Collins Childrens for this review copy!


Adelaide's Secret- Elise Hurst.
Although I'm not a huge fan of the cover (the back cover I like a lot more, artwise), ASW was a fairly... gorgeous read. A world where creatures and humans are the same size and live together, where imagination is yearned to be shared and for the creative, quiet dreamers to come together and make something huge from the world. Also, there are flying ships.

I want this in novel form, please thank you and hurry.

I would've liked a little from the text, all in all, but visually it was a feast. Gorgeous and utterly akin to something in a far off dream.

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!
Image source: Allen and Unwin.

6 comments:

  1. Adelaide's secret world looks stunning, plus flying ships? Yes, please. If I'm ever at the library, I'd definitely pick it up for the art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying ships are so beautifully done in it. More picture books with flying ships, please.xx

      Delete
  2. Can't say I've heard of these books. But I sure hope you'll enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy them! They were really interesting.xx

      Delete
  3. I am not so big on picture books, when it comes to their stories. I am personally all about looking at their artwork. And when it comes to that, it seems like the art from Adelaide's secret World is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I guess I never lost my childhood love for them, and have found so many incredible ones, though. And I love that. Adelaide's World had such stunning art, definitely!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x