Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Pantomime by Laura Lam...

Publish date- 2013.
Publisher- Strange Chemistry.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
A mysterious, twisting tale of two people, a young girl being brought up a lady, and a closed off boy who has run away to the circus. Their stories intertwine and with each revelation of truth comes a fight to keep a hard won freedom.



What I thought:
Pantomime was so much more than I hoped it would be, than I anticipated it would be. It's kind of one of those books you want to discuss at length, to think about deeply in the quiet of your mind and consider how profound and gorgeous it is. I've wanted to read it for years (thanks, Cayce!) and now that I have I am past pleased. Offline, I'm fairly quiet on the book front, but I talked about this one. My passion was so strong for it.

Pantomime tells two stories about one person. There is Micha Grey, a 16 year old who had fled their old life and, miraculously, joins a circus; and Iphegenia, or Gene, a girl bought up to be a lady, despite the fact she doesn't feel it, doesn't want it. They're told through alternate chapters and I loved both distinct voices. Neither Micha or Gene necessarily identify as female or male, which was so fantastic to read about, and their sexuality is something they're also discovering and comprehending. It was done supremely well.
The scale of acceptance Micha and Gene have to go through, both with others and within themselves, was written in a truly touching manner. Laura Lam's skill was truly marvellous and the fact that gender identity and also sexual preference weren't really the main story but at the same time weren't ignored, not at all, was just incredible and exactly what I think we need more of.

Not only did I enjoy both chapters (which is a rarity), but the world was vivid, even if we were rather confined within it, and so intriguing. I did have a few issues with the pacing, at times, where it would rush forward and a build up could've been a benefit, and also there were a handful of noticeable spelling mistakes, which made it feel overall less finalised.
The ending is this massive rush and I was afraid and didn't know how much was true and the emotion + worry I felt was true for the care I held for this story, although I still don't know exactly how I feel about it. It's big and changes lots of things and one element makes it feel convenient, but it was also pretty fantastically done. Like the whole book.
Pantomime was gorgeous and memorable and exactly what I wanted, plus some.

Rating: Excellent/Big explosion MIND BLOWN.
Exquisite. I cared for the world and the characters. The stakes are high, the feeings were true and fully explored, and it was just so darn good.

18 comments:

  1. I've also wanted to read Pantomime for a really long time, so it's great to know that it is definitely worth a read! The characters sound great, and I think it's so awesome how sexuality plays into this and the dynamic the characters have with each other. Nice review Romi <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think I'd only read that one original review of Cayce's, and then Glaiza wrote one because we read it around the same time. So two reviews in, like, around three years? And my passion never waned! I'm pretty impressed. I hope you love it nearly so much as I did, when you get a chance to read it! It's just so interesting and gorgeous.
      Thank you! xx

      Delete
  2. I've heard of Pantomime as well, but I hadn't realised the story was THIS interesting. Dual PoV? Circus story? Discovering sexuality? OMG TOO FABULOUS. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL OF THOSE THINGS AND MORE. I really hope you'll mark it to check out, Alyssa! It is just *so* exquisite and fabulous. There is no describing quite how incredible and gorgeous it was. xx

      Delete
  3. I don't know about these circus stories. Have you noticed an influx of them lately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... not really? I can only think of, like, four, and one of them is set in an underworld circus and I don't know if that even counts. This is also from three years ago, so... not especially, no. xx

      Delete
  4. This sounds absolutely amazing. The characters, the plot, and the emotional aspects of the story all sound perfectly written and I can't wait to experience them for myself. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and is! Aah, I really loved it. I hope you'll read it, too, Zoe! Hopefully my passion convinced you, if you weren't already planning to! *laughs* Oh, but it's really gorgeous. So wonderful. Like nothing I'd read before, really, and it hit me really intently, which was just how it needed to. xx

      Delete
  5. I neeed to read this book! And I have it, too. As well as the sequel. But now if I buy the third book when it is released, it will not match *cries endless river of tears*

    I am so keen to read it because diverse fantasy!! Which is so rare. (Although I read a review of the second book somewhere that the gender identity of Micah was kind of explained away as something not so great, which is kind of sad. But I'll have to see for myself how I feel about it, I suppose.)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You do. Really, really, really. It'll ignite all your shipping senses, trust me. YOU CAN GIVE ME YOUR ORIGINAL COPIES AND ORDER THE NEW SERIES. Deal. Done. We're set.
      Uh-huh. It is so, so gorgeous, too, and just... aah! Really, really expressive and exquisite and wonderful. I loved it to bits. I am sorry to hear about that thing happening in the next book. Whaaa? Especially with the beliefs and history that is touched on in the first book. I must investigate. xx

      Delete
  6. I love when a book you weren't quite expecting to blow you out of the water really does. This ones sounds so good and it seems like both the characters were handled so well. I am glad you were mind blow and thank you so much for sharing this with us! I am going to have to go look into this one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did expect a lot from this- I'd been wanting to read it for years, after all, but... it still managed to surprise me with how incredibly fantastic it was. OOh, I really hope you'll give it a go, Olivia. It is just.. so incredible. I think you'd find it really striking. xx

      Delete
  7. It's great wehn you read a book like this that impacts you liek that and you have to talk about. Micha and Gene both sounds like very interesting characters. I always like multiple point of view type of books. And it's even better when both point of views are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lola! I will occasionally talk about a book, but mostly it's just online and with fellow reviewers, so it stood out, how passionate I was about this one, for sure! I actually tend to have many issues with multi-POV books, but not here. This was done really wonderfully.xx

      Delete
  8. How awesome is it when you love a book that is different, especially with the gender identity and everything? It sounds like you really liked it Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. This book really ignited something inside of me, Jeann, and I was so passionate about the story and the characters it was portraying. I really, really did care about them, and when that happens it's magical. xx

      Delete
  9. Lovely review Romi! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. We'll definitely have to discuss the ending and ships after Chiara has read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, thank you! I absolutely loved it, and can't wait to continue with the series! Exciting things await, I'm sure. Yessss! We're all going to be sailing our ships with intent, I'm sure. Can't wait until we've all read it! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x