Monday, November 23, 2015

Perceivable Intensities (7) Vote for a character name!

Soon the time to start posting Ashes, Ashes will be upon me (which means you should follow me on WattPad in preparation). I'm still vaguely considering when I'll start posting, since I plan to post a chapter every week and yet it all begins in December, so do I post the first chapter Sunday the 29th, or the first Sunday in December? Or just on the first of December and every sunday after that. Likely it'll be option number last.

I finished editing Ashes the week before last, I think- or, rather, I finished my reread/edit which was more of an edit but is still the last thing I'm doing for it. I added a scene with dinosaurs, redefined the romance and romantic elements, worked out where I needed and viably should have some swear words (because I may have gone a little too all out in my first edit) and realised that a secondary character didn't have a name I liked and now remains unnamed.
I got some awesome suggestions for a faintly Irish name last week, so please comment with your favourite from the ones I compiled below! (I was going to use a poll but... I can't find one I like in the blogger apps, so we'll just have to do with this.)


And here are the three names you can vote for. I will totally pick whoever has the most people vying for them, so you are basically deciding on my entire book's content (not really, but close)- MY FATE IS IN YOUR HANDS PLEASE CHOOSE WISELY OTHERWISE I'LL COMBUST.

The character who'll be getting the name is of Irish descent, he's got a little brother called Tommy, is fiercely caring of his brother and the two siblings somehow managed to break through Allison's tough exterior in the early days, which is a remarkable feat- so obviously he's a persistant one. The three once worked together as agents, although after an accident this character was removed from the ranks and holds a different position. He's sweet and can still smile after having his arm separated from his body (which... happens, as per the magic of flashbacks),

Fintan. (This is incredibly pretty and, like the other two options, would suit the character perfectly.

Finn. (This makes me wonder why "F" names were popular suggestions. I do love this one. He could definitely be a Finn.)

Irke. (It'd be pronounced Irk-ah. This, clearly, is my own recommendation, simply because I saw the word "irks" and wanted to try and make it into a name because it is pretty and interesting. I'll totally use this as a character name in the future, whatever happens.)

Please do contribute to helping me name this character! I'll only endlessly bug you if you don't. *smiles vapidly*

22 comments:

  1. Yaay, you've finished editing Ashes Ashes, great job, Romi! *claps like the retard she is* Hmm, this nameless character has me intrigued. . .I think I'm gonna go with Irke, just because I like its pronunciation (and I have a thing for weird names). Anyway, may the odds be ever on Irke's favor! Can't wait to see which name wins! Peace!

    ~L. @ Reading Against Time ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I did it! I'm really happy. I really love that name, although by the looks of it Fintan is the one that'll win! I'll definitely use Irke in another story, whatever happens, though. xx

      Delete
  2. Yay! You're awesome and congrats for finishing your book. :) I vote for Finn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really thrilled to have finished editing it and be able to present it online. I never thought I'd do anything else with it, apart from write it, but I got my passion for the story back and I'm just super proud!
      Thank you for voting! xx

      Delete
  3. FINTAN. When I first saw it I was all like That is the most marvellous name of ever...but I realise the two above commenters have voted different names still so GAH I don't think we're helping. xDXD But seriously they're all such nice names!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And... you started the spurge of Fintan votes! I'm thinking he's gonna have that name. I'm so happy everyone is choosing different names, thougH! I'LL USE THEM ALL! HE'LL BE FINNTANIRKE. It'll be grand. xx

      Delete
  4. YAYYY! I LLURRRVVVEEE that I've met you because I'm a writer too so it totally means we have to be like, BFFS now!! <3 And I LOVE the fact that you've decided to come out with your writing because I'm still terrified of doing so... So big kuddos to you for doing it! You deserve cake. Lots and lots of cake! <3 I vote for Fintan only because Finn is kind of overused, and Irke reminds me of the word "irk" which means someone is annoying you so, I don't know if you want your readers to think of your character that way! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Lovely to meet you, Keionda! And definitely we are BFFs now, because writers unite! I only really started sharing my work this year and it was... huge and scary, but so fantastic. I'm really proud of myself for doing it. It was a really wonderful move on my behalf. I WILL TAKE THAT CAKE THANK YOU.
      Uh-huh- I love your vote (and thank you for voting, too!) Irke was actually inspired by "irk" so I can see why you might think that! xx

      Delete
  5. I vote for Fintan! They're all such lovely names, but I feel this would be the one to suit your character most. It's unique, and I can picture it belonging to someone who can remain upbeat after terrible things have happened. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for voting, Cilla! It looks like Fintan is winning. Right? I love them all, and will definitely be using each for a project in the future, I know it. I could totally name my future pets all of these names. Aah... I think you might be right. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness yes, Fintan please! The name appealed to me straight away. I did like Finn but it is one I have seen used in many novels and I think when it comes to your book you should go for one of the ones which is more unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Fintan! Yay! I'm happy you voted, and you may be happy to know that Fintan actually won! xx

      Delete
  7. Fintan! I do like Finn as well, but that could be a nickname for Fintan, so I think it's the best of both worlds. :) Irke, is a very interesting name - I love it too - I think it will be interesting to see who you name that!

    It's so wonderful too that you are close to unveiling your novel! Congrats you! I'm so excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fintan was so popular! I'm really happy that all the names got a vote, though. Aah! Having Finn as a nickname is ace, Charlene. Thanks for that suggestion! (I've put it to use, since Fintan won!)

      Thank you! It's incredibly exciting. xx

      Delete
  8. Finn.. I love Finn. Will you be posting an update on here when you get your story up on wattpad?? I have no idea how to use that so if you post here it will let us know when it's up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice one, isn't it? I like Finn, too. I think I'll make him into a character, too, although in a different story.
      Yup, my last post for the year and the update about WP is already up. Hopefully that helped with working out how to use it, but basically you have to start an account and then you can read and post on the site. xx

      Delete
  9. I think the last option is a good option, to be honest. Because you did say you would start in December, and if it's not December 1st that WOULD BE WEIRD.

    I obviously vote for Finn, because I suggested it :D Although to be honest you could have Finntan, and then use Finn for his nickname. That would be perfect, in my humble opinion.

    You cut OUT swears? What is wrong with you? XD I cannot talk. I have an f word practically every sentence in my current WIP, HA. Oh! And the f word was in high usage in the original draft of JB, too! But I cut them out because I didn't think it suited Js character. A little factoid for you :D

    Looking forward to December and reading this fabulous sounding book! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda went with it, but also kinda not. December 1st is the first day I'm offline, so it would be weird to be online. I posted the prologue today and will post the first chapter next week, so it's more or less an early surprise. I HOPE IT'S NOT WEIRD.

      It didn't win, but it is a nickname! It was so fun to work them both in.

      I sure did. This and the one you're critiquing are the first two books I've gone all out with swears in, and I didn't want to go ALL OVER THE PLACE with them, so I was reasonable. And cutting.
      OOh, nice. I agree, though, I don't think it'd have really suited his character for full on swearing.

      DAWWW. Thank you, lovely. xx

      Delete
  10. Hope I'm not TOO late, I vote Fintan :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not! Thank you so much for voting, Alise! You definitely helped carry the vote.xx

      Delete
  11. I actually like Finn because it's kind of simple and memorable you know? But it looks like everyone's pretty divided on the name to vote for! Congrats on finishing editing for it, that's amazing Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's become the character's nickname, since it didn't carry the vote. I really like all three choices, but I think Fintan/Finn will work wonderfully and will become the character completely.
      Thank you, Jeann! I'm really happy about it! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x