Friday, November 27, 2015

The end of my year is nigh.

So let's talk about books. Since I go offline at the end of November, and have the last couple of years, I... kinda haven't talked about my favourite books of the year in a while. I come back online and see the December posts I miss out on reading (and writing) but by February it feels too late, and besides I always have a bunch of reviews to post, so I haven't been noting my yearly favourite and notable reads for a while. Years, even.

Until now. Obviously I should be in a dramatic movie of sorts. Yes, it is November. Yes, I will read more books before the year is out. But I still thought heh, I'll do a round-up. For once I SHALL BE FIRST.


Books read: 
137. (My goal is 153, I believe.)


Most were rated:
Four stars, which is fairly pleasing. I mean, I'd love a year where 80% of my reads were five stars, but four stars is certainly nothing to grumble about.


How many five star books did you read?
27! That's actually fairly fabulous. Even if eight of those were manga. IT. COUNTS. (It does.)


How many one star books?
A total of 14. (Which is the same amount as last year, actually.) And three of them? Were from the same series


Most shelved?
"Series" and "young adult" were my most frequently used shelves. Apparently I didn't read as many "quote worthy" books this year as last. *sobs*


Longest book?
Ava's Demon by Michelle Czajkowski (which I reviewed here). It is gorgeous and you can read it online and you should.


Favourite book out of all the books?
That'd be Dumplin' (which I reviewed here). I loved it to pieces. It was just... imperfect and gorgeous and so, so right. I also adored and cherished the manga series' I've read (FB, Ouran, Wandering Son, A Bride's Story) and Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. It was beyond words incredible.


Favourite book that was: part of a series?
The Boy who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente. It was heartbreaking and gorgeous and although I desperately missed September and the lack of her presence, it was just... unsurprisingly wonderful. Also It was between Waistcotes and Weaponry by Gail Carriger, which is thus far my favourite book in the series. So good.


Favourite book that was: a debut?
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, since I believe it was her first work. For this year it'd be Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, which stuns everyone (and me) in being contemporary.


Favourite character?
I'll give you five-

Favourite book that was: fantasy?
Because hey, it's my favourite genre.
Pantomime by Laura Lam. It was absolutely gorgeous and just... aah! Definitely would recommend to everybody.

Favourite cover?
I adore The Princess, The Scoundrel, and The Farm Boy, but also the whole cover design for A Bride's Story. G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s.

Most read author?
Natsuki Takaya, author of Fruits Basket. As of now, I've read 20 of the 23 volumes this year.

New favourite author?
Need you ask? Banana Yoshimoto. I'm in love.

Favourite manga?
Although of recent times I've been devouring Fruits Basket, I did finish Ouran High School Host Club in January-February this year and it HOLDS MY HEART. Volumes 17 and 18? SOBBING.

I feel like I've had a really good year in reading, looking at this! A couple more weeks until my internet hibernation and a whole month more, after that, of reading- hopefully I find a good few more favourites and reach my reading goal.

*What has been your... most surprising read/favourite cover of this year?*

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read any of your favorites on this list :O Obviously I need to get my act together. Fruits Basket and Ouran High School <3 LOVE. I've only seen the Ouran anime so I need to get to the manga and finish the story ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You definitely need to think about what you *are* reading! *laughs* But hopefully you did find some new things to try out from this! Ouran! Endless love for that. It's probably my all time favourite. I watched the anime first, too, but... it's fantastic, absolutely, but the manga goes way deeper and is just... gorgeous. *sings*

      Delete
  2. Reading this reminds me that I must do a post and highlight my faves. The year will be almost over before you know it... Love that you loved Simon! It was my first favourite book of 2015 and still remains one of the best. Plus, Becky is the absolute best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check it out next year! Can't wait, already, to see what your favourites have been, though!
      Yes! Simon was gorgeous. And I can definitely agree with you on that- Becky is lovely. xx

      Delete
  3. <3 Momiji. I joined a new library and they have Dumplin! Hopefully, I'll get to read it in the new year sometime - maybe February. Hmm favourite book of the year - in terms of discovering new writers to fangirl over - The Sea is Ours: Tales of Steampunk Southeast Asia. I also loved Tower of Thorns by Juliet Marillier, Heir of Fire + Queen of Shadows by SJ Maas (for my epic fantasy fix) and Byte Beautiful by James Tiptree (for my scifi fix.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so wonderful it's unbelievable. THE BEST. Aah, that makes me happy, both because libraries rock and Dumplin' was so wonderful for me. I hope you read it soon, since it's now February! GET ONTO THAT, GLAIZA. Aah, such a good epic fantasy fix. I feel like I've had my own recently with Shadow and Bone, The Bone Season and Poison Study. It was amazing. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x