Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee...

Publish date- 1999.
Publisher- Spectre.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
In a world you might struggle to comprehend, to begin with, a series of pleasure robots have been created. When Jane, a wealthy young woman who doesn't really realise how lacking her life is, first sees Silver, she tries hard not to be taken in. But soon it's too hard to deny her feelings.




What I thought:
I have a lifelong debt to Glaiz, who got me onto Tanith Lee and recommended me this as the first of her books to read. She warned me Jane, the protagonist, was a hard one to connect with, and I kept that in mind when I started reading. I anticipated that I might have issues.
Instead? I was swept away, reading fast the story that was bizarre and dreamy and almost impossible. It's an odd idea, this story of a girl who falls in love with a pleasure robot; it seemed unthinkable, and the blurb put me off, too- it seems, to me, like it describes a completely different story, in parts, and my annoyances with Jane early on were, I think, rooted in my misjudgement of what her story would be.

In many aspects Jane is a difficult character. She's fragile and spends a lot of her time crying, and she's got this slightly odd, lost feeling to her narrative. She's also rash and her decisions aren't always made in the best frame of mind, but... I enjoyed it a lot. Not until later did I grow to actually realise this and like Jane, but I didn't have a huge problem with her, either. She was different and, although she could've been annoying, she instead carried her story with this note of honesty. However childish she was, she easily sustained her own story and that is a dream.

Silver, the pleasure robot, was such an odd creation, and I did, for a long time, feel incredibly uneasy around his character- he felt dangerous, like he was so autonomous and had a kind of crazy murderer feel about him, but I grew so fond of his character. It seems to odd: she falls in love with a robot, a real, full metal robot. But that's the very best part, because it makes you look differently and question what defines life and love and reason it out. It's distinct in plot, narrative, and feel from any other book I've read.

Rating: Excellent/Big explosion MIND BLOWN.
I use the word "gorgeous" perhaps more than I should, nut this was. And it was odd and complex and entirely different. I loved it. It was beautiful.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, you're right. Some might not connect with Jane just as easily as you did. But keeping that in mind is probably a good idea if one should decide to read this book. I have to check it out at least. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-huh. I'm happy I knew I might have issues with her, going into it, because at least I knew what I was in for, and I gave her a chance. Ooh, let me know what you think! xx

      Delete
  2. Romi, I highly suggest you read the manga Absolute Boyfriend, because pretty much the same thing happens AND IT IS ADORABLE AND EMOTIONAL AND JUST YES. Please read it!

    So because I've read and loved Absolute Boyfriend, I am pretty interested in this! It sounds like it might have some of the same themes, and I always love books that bring big things into question (like love).

    Great review, dearie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, manga recommendation noted. I'll be off to look it up in a separate tab in a moment. Sounds AMAZING AND EMOTIONAL AND JUST YES. Absolutely. I'm all in for that.

      I hope you'll consider reading this, then! It's really... fairly phenomonal. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow this sounds like a very offbeat story! I'm not sure if I would love it - I really like sympathizing with a main character, but the premise sounds so intriguing and the fact that you liked it so much makes me very curious. Is this book bringing you back into dystopian reads? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely say that. It's done so marvellously, captivating and beautiful and just stunning. I can understand why you mightn't enjoy it, though- completely.
      Hmm... I'm not sure what genre it is, actually, but it didn't give me huge dystopian vibes. So I'm still trying. xx

      Delete
  4. I am glad that even though you were wary of this book at first, you were able to fall headfirst into it. I am thinking that it is a bit strange that she falls in love with the robot, but maybe I need to read the actual story before judging the idea of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-huh, for sure. It was such a joy! Knowing the story and looking back, I'd say you definitely need to understand how the love works. Before I was definitely skeptical, but it's just... it was just so wonderful.xx

      Delete
  5. <3 Thank you for posting this on my birthday! Such a beautiful review. I can never pinpoint the magnetic quality of Tanith Lee's writing but I agree, I love how honestly Lee writes flawed characters. I'm glad The Silver Metal Lover is a book that still captivates. The silver lover was such an ambiguous character (I definitely get the danger element.)

    There was a recent book called The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke which explores another android romance, but I think it's more geared towards an adult audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, Happy (belated) birthday and what good timing! Aw, thank you so much. I found out last week that there's a kind-of sequel. I WANT IT. Oh, but his dangerous quality. I... kind of thought he was going to turn into a murderer.

      I really want to read her Assassin's Curse books! I've only heard amazing things about them. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x