Thursday, April 21, 2016

From me to you and back again -6-

-This is where I talk about something. Something that comes to mind and sticks there and I want to describe so that it sticks in other peoples minds and makes them think, because that is what this is about. I want to be thinking. I want to be lit up and even alight. And I want you to leave this post with the memory of the thoughts it made you have.-

. On seasons and an incapability to read seasonal books .

I recently realised that it isn't the beginning of March that makes me feel like Autumn has arrived, or that Summer officially begins when I wake on the first December morning. The seasons in Australia have been a little off-kilter for a couple years now, and where during childhood there was this sense that each season was impossibly of itself and was easily distinguishable, now... that doesn't seem so certain.

I feel like it's Winter when, mid-March, I'm stacking firewood. I feel like it's Spring when, mid January, we have a wet day and the grass is succulent and green and warm afterwards.
I'm very confused when, mid Winter, we get snow. But last year was a weird year for weather, so I'll let that one go.

It's the memories that can make what I might do on a wet, blustry day in April feel like the depths of Winter. Thunderstorms, bigger than I had ever experienced, gorgeous and wild and terrifying, momentous in ways that were enchanting and memorable, allowed a little part of myself to beileve Winter had come and hot chocolate was the only thing I could possibly drink and doonas the only thing I could possibly wrap about myself, even though was February. And also not that cold.

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain, and I stayed in bed for longer than I have in a while, reading and pretending and rather enjoying myself with a pantomime of near Winter (which, I mean, is what it actually is but beside the point beside the point beside the point). The sky is omnious and grey and the trees have been swaying and my room is vastly cold. Cups of tea have been cosumed and baby dogs have slept beside me (and on top of me because personal space is not something Kasta cares to understand and I love her for it).

And then it comes to books. I love the idea of reading seasonal books in accurate time, books set around christmas or halloween or a dead Winter night, but I am only organised to such a level, and it doesn't extend to my reading, no matter how much I may try to have it be another way. I'm more likely to read the frosty His Dark Materials during the heat of Summer than Winter, and I can read Agatha Christie during the whole year only avoid her when it comes to the end of October. I have a beloved Christmas read that I have only read leading up to christmas once and it was an experience of drudgery and boredom.

Because that's it, for me- or I think it is. It doesn't matter if it's Summer, because if I do something that reminds me of another season then that's where I am. After a time maybe all the seasons will just become a year, a year of blended heat and frost and rain and fog, and it'll be my memories that lead me. The things I did at another time that tell me how I'll spend my day. It'll be what I want to read that makes me pick up my next book.

So: what makes a season a season for you? And have you achieved the miraculous and read seasonal books during their "season"?

16 comments:

  1. Whenever I read a post about the changing Australian seasons, I always feel out of sync. I'm on top of the world which means your summer is winter to us. We've been having a weird Spring so far. Yesterday, it was a balmy 19 C. This morning, it's a very nippy 0 C. The walk to work was blustery and cold. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that a little sometimes, too, although mostly when people reference Autumn as "Fall" *laughs* I do rather like it when you get a warm Winter's day, although... I also don't, because it's not really great for the environment that's struggling to cope with the changes. xx

      Delete
  2. Romi, lovely piece of writing. I do also quite like the IDEA of reading seasonal books in accurate time, but I am rarely on it. I guess because I usually tend to read based on mood, rather than on season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Aylee! That means a lot to me. Right? It sounds like such a fun thing to do, and I'm sure it would make me feel more festive when it comes to whatever seasonal event, but it didn't that one time. It made me feel like drudgery. I'd agree that I'm a mood based reader most of the time, too, so maybe it just doesn't work for us. *laughs* xx

      Delete
  3. I think the only feels I have for seasons is: sweat and stickiness in summer, and blankets and fluffy socks in winter. I don't think I DO anything special to mark a season. I pretty much do the same stuff. Although I guess my clothing is a certain thing that I do. Summer is muscle tops and denim shorts, or summery dresses. And Winter is jeans and tees and cardigans, or leggings and tees, or jeans and jumpers. I get very excited when I can wear these things again because I feel like they suit me a lot better.

    The only time I can remember reading books that fit my season is Christmas. And even then it doesn't match because no one's written a Christmas book where the character is sweating, rather than wrapping a scarf around their neck. So even though the books were Christmas-y, they were Wintery, as well. BOO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even for your winter? FLUFFY SOCKS FTW though. Fluffy socks are excellence itself. Ooh, same. When I get to start wearing jeans again? It is an event in and of itself. I spend a couple weeks leading up trying and failing to wear jeans, because it's still far too hot, and then- the day comes when I don't have to change into shorts. It's always amazing. Jeans are my everyday bit of reliable joy.

      Right? So that's basically me reading a winter book during summer, which is interesting and makes me yearn for the cold that I don't have. Which... I don't know how I feel about that. xx

      Delete
  4. This is such a lovely post, Romi. :) It's been 7 years since I moved to a climate that stays pretty mild year round, and I still miss experiencing the seasons change, in particular seeing trees change color in the fall.

    For the last couple of years I've tried to read a holiday-themed book around Christmas, and my success rate has been about 50/50 because I usually end up getting caught up in the mad holiday rush and don't have time for reading, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lee! I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed it. *hurrahs* I do love knowing that with winter comes frosty mornings (most of the time), so living in a climate where I didn't really get that, or I missed out on the other changes that tend to stay reliable, wouldn't really suit me. Or I'd miss it, like you.

      At least you've had a decent success rate! I just... imagine it and think about it and then... don't manage it! xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely + thoughtful post, Romi! Seasons have been a bit strange here in Hong Kong too. Although we do have semi-clear seasons, I don't really celebrate a season in a particular way ... I actually have never tried to match a seasonal book with its proper season. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, thank you so much, Alyssa! I'm really glad you thought so. A part of me hopes things stay this way, off-kilter and unpredictable, but the part that's aware of what it's doing to the environment doesn't want it to.
      I'm often tempted to! But it never works out. Reading books set in frosty winters in summer can be fun, though! xx

      Delete
  6. I love how thoughtful this is! It must be a worldwide phenomenon, 'cause seasons have been off in Indonesia too. That said, the only seasons I grew up with were dry and rainy, so I never go for seasonal books. I'd like to read Christmas books around that season though, but I don't think I know enough of those book to last me all of December... Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Cilla. I'm really happy to hear you found it to be like that! I truly love it when my posts are thoughtful and make people contemplate whatever topic I bring up. You could be right with the seasons being off worldwide, since there seem to have been some wild weather and uncharacteristic weather patterns recently, which is pretty scary. I don't remember the seasons following their "proper" cycle since 2012, which... that's a long time to be like this.

      No, I don't know that I'd be aware of enough Christmas books to last me the whole season, either, so I generally think of just reading one around the 20th. Reading only christmas books throughout December would be fairly wonderful, though. I'm sure it would get me more involved with the spirit of christmas! *laughs*

      Thanks so much, Cilla! xx

      Delete
  7. I live in the U.S. but in Arizona where the seasons are a little odd because it's pretty much Summer here most of the year. When "Winter" does roll around, like you, I like the IDEA of reading seasonal books but for some reason never get around to it xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? In Tasmania, we do get fairly distinct seasons, but then I go to the mainland (Victoria or Sydney, say) and it's completely different. It tends to be hugely colder here than in most of mainland Australia, and whilst I'm used to it (and used to not having such scorching summer heat), I notice the difference when I go elsewhere.xx

      Delete
  8. This is lovely. Sometimes I think my moods fluctuate with the weather like I am stuck in a Gothic novel when Autumn and Winter winds sweep in. I can't wait to huddle up and read during Winter (and semester break). Though it does feel like the cold has crept in quiet early (hey climate change).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Glaiza. That means a lot to me. That's a really beautiful way of describing it, like the winds catch us and hold us and refuse to let us go.
      It seemed like the cold was being held off here for quite a while, but alas it has arrived and it is already quite brisk. I don't think I'm going to see my shorts or my dresses without tights for a long time, now. Not that I mind in the least. Snuggling up in warm clothes is always an ultimate comfort. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x