Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Books for when you're... (21)



Each fortnight, month, fifteenth full moon of the half equational motion of the earths full circuit I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading to suit a certain mood.


Wanting a character with witty comebacks.
Personally, I love them, and witty characters make me feel like oneday *I* might be able to be as witty and remarkable as them. It hasn't worked so far, but I've enjoyed meeting these characters enormously, and they're some of my favourites.

Back when I actually did features regularly? Kami was fairly well a permanent fixture. With her wit, sass and need to know the truth, Kami inspired me endlessly. She has a wardrobe to be swooned for, with kitten heels and an array of dresses in patterns that made me... well, swoon. In fact, she may well have been my first true bookish crush. And she had a comeback for almost every situation, and each and every one of them would make me smile and internally cheer. See, who else could throw a rock at a window, acidentally send it through said window (with glass going everywhere) and then make you see that it wasn't actually *her* fault?
No one, I tell you. Kami is completely unique in her ability to make you see reason and realise when you, in fact, are the one at fault.



I think Ginny has featured on a lot of my lists, also, but that's because a. she is just so darn great, and b. I like her a lot. She's a secondary character who has a lot of character depth and I love exploring that. Each time I do, I find out just how much I love her.
As for wit, Ginny is quite possibly my favourite in this series for it. Harry can be pretty good, too, but overall I think she triumphs. Ginny was always a character I loved because she was accepted, and when she wasn't she fought until people saw her way, and whilst that wasn't always achieved by wit, her conversations, comments and general communication always made sense to me. She could (and did) tell Harry that he was being an idiot a good few times, and she would be right at the same time as making me smirk, because of the way she said it. I'm not quite sure that anyone else could say it like it was like Ginny could.

My last Books for when you're... topic was Wanting to learn a new activity. It featured Host Clubs and Poisoners. The obvious choices.

16 comments:

  1. Ohh thanks for this! I am a fan of witty characters, so I just might dust off my copy of Untold. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Joy! Ooh, I'd definitely recommend you do. It's a favourite! x

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love Kami so much! She made me laugh out loud so many times while reading the Lynburn Legacy, and I wish that I had even half her wit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami is pretty much my favourite heroine ever. I adore her so completely. *sighs* xx

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I've always wished I could be as witty as some characters too!! But alas, wit-in-the-moment is not my strength. I totally love Kami, Ginny, and Harry's sass too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well. Maybe we'll learn from these characters, maybe we'll just appreciate their wit and know such a life isn't for us! *laughs* I have to agree, though, wit in the moment certainly isn't my forte.
      Harry is pretty great at the sass, although a lot of the time I think it's tied to actual irritability, and he isn't *quite* on par with Ginny, so obviously he didn't make the cut. *laughs* xx

      Delete
  4. Okay so I'm guessing I should read The Lynburn Legacy? I THINK the first one is on my TBR. But that really doesn't bode well because there are something like EIGHT HUNDRED books on my TBR *nervous laughter*

    I'm also guessing that Ginny in the books is better than Ginny in the movies? Because Ginny in the movies is kinda meek D: I suppose I will find out WHEN (or more likely at the moment IF) we get around to our Harry Potter read, haha XD

    Witty characters really are fabulous, though. Although I'm not sure if I've written one. I have witty LINES, though, which are still pretty fab *flicks hair*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely. Absolutely. You really should. It's marvellous and you will totally ship it. YOU WILL. And you will always thank me for that.

      Yeah, Ginny in the film is really toned down. She's a much more present, enjoyable and developed character in the books, and she's completely capable which is so enjoyable. *sighs happily* I do like her. Ahahahahah. Yes. Well we know the answer to this now, don't we.

      They ARE! Neither... I don't think any of my characters are witty. Some are heavily sarcastic, but not truly witty. xx

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've read anything by Sarah Rees Brennan yet! Clearly, that needs to change soon because I've seen nothing but good things about her books. Plus I love any character that can make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read this series, although I did briefly try a couple of her other things. This one is just right for me, though. Oh, well Kami is pretty much perfect for that. She's adorable and hilarious, and fairly relatable to boot. xx

      Delete
  6. I still need to give the Lynburn Legacy another try. Just for Kami.

    I liked that a lot of Ginny's growth happened offpage/offscreen. It puts the whole world of the HP universe in perspective because there are so many different lives playing outside of the main story, which always made it fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh do, Glaiza! I'd love to hear what you think of it. Kami is definitely one of my darling favourites. I'm interested to see what you make of her.

      I really enjoy her as a character, and you're right- a lot of her growth isn't seen, but it still feels completely genuine. I definitely prefer her in the books (although I still find her quite lovable in the movies), since she's so much more detailed and layered, although all round- really- she's a grand character. xx

      Delete
  7. I like witty characters in books, although from the top of my head it's really hard to come up with names of characters that are witty. You do notice it when reading a book, but it's not as easy to remember it after. I agree that Ginny is a great characters and it's fun when side characters get depth as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little hard for me to think of more besides these two- possibly other witty characters have a more subtle wit to them, which makes them less memorable years later, whereas these two stick with me because it's such an important facet of their character.
      She really is. I'm so glad characters like Ginny, Neville and Luna got depth to them, too, besides the main trio. xx

      Delete
  8. I do love my witty characters in books because my older sister has that kind of witty attitude, and now that she's gone at university I lack her quick wit sometimes. I look for it in book characters, I've noticed. I've only read the first three HP books so I don't think I have yet reached the point where Ginny is very witty and a present main character. Can't wait until I reach then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's such a bittersweet thing, Olivia-Savannah! I'm glad you're able to find some of the wit you so love in books, when you're sister is away, since at least then you're not completely missing it, and wit is definitely not something you want to miss out on. It's quite fabulous.
      Yeah, it's only in the 5th book where she really comes in as a major character, I think, and then she's much more developed and important. I hope you like her, when you get to that stage in the series! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x