Monday, May 23, 2016

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon...

Publish date- 2013
Publisher- Bloomsbury.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
In an unrecognisable London, Clairvoyant Paige Mahoney is pulled from the life she knew, a life of secrecy and friends that feel like family, of learning more about her talents and dodging the authorities, into an equally unrecognisable world. Oxford. Ruled by creatures that use their powers as a weapon.





What I thought:
The Bone Season was beautiful.

I admit, despite buying a copy after reading two gorgeous reviews last year, I was a bit hesitant. When the initial buzz for it took over many reviewers hearts, I didn't take a whole lot of notice. I wasn't, apparently, particularly... interested. Fast forward a couple of years and I was at the stage where I was about to (finally) start reading.

It isn't a massive book, so I wasn't daunted. But the font in my edition was tiny, so I absolutely was.

The initial question I had, that stayed with me for 20, 30 pages perhaps, was something along the lines of When will I comprehend, because Sicon London isn't like any form of London I have ever seen, read, or envisioned. There were terms I didn't understand (many) and the roles of the characters in Paige's group took a little getting used to, but then... my brief moments of confusion didn't matter.

I was in.

To put it poetically, the gates of this novel, gates that hid secrets and truths and utter majesty in writing, they opened up wide and let me in, and it was completely different after that. 
Less poetically, the book had finally won me over. I was captivated. I was interested. And I was continually surprised.

Surprise and interest are, I think, actually two of this book's greatest assets. It is so well developed a story and gives the reader time to start computing this new, slightly despotic and slightly fantasy-angled (and also throughly fantastic) world you are reading about before the plot takes over, which was so wonderful. I felt like I already knew Paige before everything started turning upside down, and that meant I cared about her.

Paige was a fairly likable character, and when she is pulled out of London and taken with a load of other clairvoyants by creatures that look like humans but are far more ethereal. She didn' give up. I don't think she stopped fighting once. Sometimes this caused trouble for the people she formed bonds with, and the way she didn't think about the danger her every action could cause others did frustrate me at times, but she was also very caring and invested in her own freedom and the freedom of everyone else, and for that I liked her.

Rating: Excellent.
This is a well, throughly crafted novel, and I was completely taken in by the world and the characters (there's a lovely, subtle romance involving an interested side party, who then becomes... a friend. It's lovely. I liked it so much) and I actually plan on reading the sequel in time for the next book. I enjoyed it so much.

16 comments:

  1. Books with tiny font sizes always make me a little intimidated as well, it's just harder for me to read. That's why it took me THREE tries to get into Stormdancer, the font in the hardcover GAH. This one sounds so good though, I'm definitely excited to get to know these characters and this world :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I feel s relieved that I managed this one without too much trouble- it's pretty difficult with the ToG series because they're getting bigger and bigger and the font is almost being swamped by the amount of pages! *laughs*
      I think you might really enjoy this one, actually, Alise! I'd love to hear (or see a review) of your thoughts, if/when you get to it! xx

      Delete
  2. Yaaay! Another wonderful review for me to feel excited and good about having this book on my tbr list! Sounds really interesting and definitely like something I'd enjoy! Great review, now I'm hyped for this new London and these human-looking creatures!

    ~L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, thanks Lili! *throws flower petals at you* I'm happy to hear this one is on your tbr already- I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, when you get to it! It's such an interesting, distinct work (although I am daunted, now I know it's a 7 book series). Do come and have a chat with me once you've read it!

      xx

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this one too! The Sydney book launch was held in a small sparkling Tarot card & palm reading shop (which seemed appropriate given the dreamscape nature of the book) a few years ago. I wasn't brave enough to get my future read but I did get a copy of the book. There was a lot of hype around it back then but I still enjoyed the unexpected angles it took too. I need to pick up the sequel someday because I agree about the subtle romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that sounds wonderful, Glaiza! What an amazing way to launch a book, and I'm glad you had a good experience with it, when you read it! Have you written a review? I'd love to read your thoughts!
      Ooh, but I don't think I'd be brave enough for that, either. There's something daunting about the idea. I think I'd be... happier seeing how things go as they come to me, rather than knowing in advance!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I've heard this one was great and now that I've read your review I do want to read it already! I somehow skipped over it in the past, but this does sound like an intriguing read. The fact that it is an alternate London should already have grabbed me. ;) I'm glad it was a great read for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, a couple of the books you reviewed mid-late last year make me think you'll really appreciate this one, Charlene! I can't remember which ones, but remembering how you felt about them it gives me a sense this will be a similar sucess. It's such an interesting concept and pulled off so well. I hope you enjoy it, Charlene! Do let me know!
      Me, too! I was definitely daunted by the font, but luckily it didn't deter me.xx

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you managed to enjoy this one! It seems like it took you a few pages to get your grips on everything, but that overall it was written beautifully and was a dream to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it! Thanks for coming by, Olivia-Savannah. x

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this book as well, but I felt it failed to leave an impression on me personally in the long run - as I am still too lazy to pick up Mine Order. But I might be tempted enough by Warden to do it sometimes this year! I love the worldbuilding and how wide the scope of the book was, though!

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting to hear. I can imagine that, if you're not fully involved with the story, it could fall flat since there's a lot to take in and some of it you have to work out for yourself (I struggled with new words and the roles of clairvoyance) which I did have issues with, although by the end I'd mostly forgotten about then. *laughs* I definitely plan on reading TMO before the third book comes out, although who knows if that'll happen. I suppose I have til next year, so it might well!
      xx

      Delete
  7. I have a copy of this one, just need to make time to finally read it. I am glad this book eventually won you over, I'll keep that in mind that the beginning might be a tad confusing with all the new terms. I heard from others as well that the world is very well developed and I think I am going to enjoy that part. And Paige sounds like a great main character. Greta review and I hope I'll enjoy this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth the read, Lola! I rarely buy books for myself, but I read wonderful reviews and decided to go for it, and it was so worth it! I'm not sure if it's with all editions, but mine actually had a glossary in the back, which should be helpful to navigating the confusions of the new world!

      The world is really, really well developed. There's the base of present-day London, and that's been built upon and it's just wonderful.
      Thanks so much, Lola! I hope you enjoy it, too. xx

      Delete
  8. Yesss. I'm so glad you liked this one.

    I also love the fact that we were both like: what the hellll is going on the first part. I wasn't even sure if I could wrap my head around it. And then I always laugh at the fact that there is a nifty GLOSSARY at the back of the book, which would have helped IMMENSELY and whatnot. Ah, well.

    I really hope you DO read the sequel, because it is just as awesome. And the romance thing is ... very good. Very good indeed.

    Only FIVE MORE BOOKS TO GO ;D *laughing endlessly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it a lot! I'm so glad I took what could have been a risk (because ME BUYING BOOKS?!) and got a copy. So. Worth. It.

      I anticipated it, since I had read a little about how difficult it is to begin with, but I FORGOT ABOUT THE GLOSSARY, even though you'd talked about it. My copy had one, too. At the back. Because *shrugs* And if I ever reread it? I'll forget about it being there. *snorts*

      I will! Hopefully before this year is out (although it could take longer than that WHO even knows with me) and if we do, indeed, see much more of the romantical things then I will make sure I read it speedily.

      THAT IS UNCALLED FOR. EVEN IF CORRECT.

      (A grudging) xx (because you have just laughed at me but still)

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x